Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm Tree in Oregon, and I have a new Bolt sitting in the rain my driveway. My elder car, a vanagon, refuses to grant it access to the carport.

I am considering purchasing an EVSE, and wonder if there is on this site any way to survey owners as to which EVSE they installed, how much it cost to install (if you want to say), and how you like it: how many ev miles per hour you are getting, etc.

Buying the car in October, I'm steeling myself to seeing range decrease as the temperatures plummet. Do any of you cover your Bolt? What brand cover used?

I'm hoping I'll know the difference between winter EV norms and a defective unit. Anyhow, still auto honeymoon time right now.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Hello Tree (nice name if you live in Oregon :) )
You'll get a lot of opinions on EVSE's, but ultimately I went with simple, non wifi Clipper Creek because it provides a place to wrap the cord and comes with a holster for the plug. Also, it's made in the US and is UL approved. I bought a certified pre-owned (ie, used) which reduced the cost. I installed it myself.
The Bolt will take 32 amps max so make sure you get at least a 32 amp model. I bought a 40 amp model for future proofing. You'll add about 7.6kW per hour and your miles per hour will depend on your efficiency. If you're averaging 3.8 miles/kWh, then you'll add a theoretical 3.8*7.6= 28 miles per hour. In the real world, due to resistive losses, it'll be less than that, say around 25 miles per hour.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Did you name your Bolt? 😀

We installed a 40 amp Clipper Creek charger - very rugged and durable. Our state offered a 250.00 rebate to install an EVSE unit so check to see what options are available for you.

We also took advantage of our state’s EV charging rate. Cheap electrons in the wee hours of the morning!

You can set up the Bolt to charge when off peak rates are in effect so you don’t have to run out and plug in in the middle of the night.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Welcome! Quite interestingly, there was a recent thread regarding the "weirdest looking Bolt" that one of the forum members chanced upon during his travels. I think you may find it interesting as well, given the two vehicles you currently have:

:giggle:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did you name your Bolt? 😀

We installed a 40 amp Clipper Creek charger - very rugged and durable. Our state offered a 250.00 rebate to install an EVSE unit so check to see what options are available for you.

We also took advantage of our state’s EV charging rate. Cheap electrons in the wee hours of the morning!

You can set up the Bolt to charge when off peak rates are in effect so you don’t have to run out and plug in in the middle of the night.
Hi there! I have not figured out how to dictate the starting time of a charge. The choices seem to only allow dictating an ending time for the charge, which would seem to mean that the charging would frequently begin as soon as I plug it in in order to be done in the morning.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Hi there! I have not figured out how to dictate the starting time of a charge. The choices seem to only allow dictating an ending time for the charge, which would seem to mean that the charging would frequently begin as soon as I plug it in in order to be done in the morning.
You can’t tell it when to start. You set when finish. The Bolt initially draws a charge to determine the current it can draw from the EVSE. Using that and its State of Charge (SOC), it calculates when it needs to start charging to finish by the time you indicated in the energy settings. Then is automagically starts at the right time to be finished when you specified (more or less).

If it starts charging immediately, thats because it won’t be finished by the time you set. This is common with a low power EVSE like the one it comes with (1.4kw at 12 amps, 120V).

If you want to start charging at a given time (like when rates drop), you need to dive deeper into the energy settings where rates are set. For that you may need to RTFM, as I would, also, since I have never used those settings. It may allow this regardless of when it can finish. That’s fine if you don’t drive so far the next day that you need a full charge.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts