Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.

I leased a new 2019 bolt on January 4 2020.
In April the car with 1700 miles got a check engine light which gave a code saying there was a problem with the battery cooling system.
I took the car in to my dealer on 4/16/20, after 2 days they called and said they needed a part and would have it the following Monday.
Monday came and they called and said it would be a couple of weeks longer to get the part.
Three weeks went by and they called and said it would be around June 18 before the would have the part.
I have been in contact with GM customer care since April and was given a case number and a level 2 representative
but that person no longer returns my calls and her voice mail in box is full, now I just get the run around from them
So now I have no car but am expected to still make the lease payment and they wont even talk to me.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Do you know what the Check Engine codes are? I would've read those codes before taking it into the dealer. You can buy your own code reader for as little as $50, or stop in at an auto parts store like AutoZone or Advance and ask them to read the codes for you.

Once I had the codes, and the dealer did their diagnosis, I would've asked them to show me what part (or parts) they thought needed replacing (with part numbers) from their Repair Documentation. Then, at least, you might've been able to search for the part yourself. Can you go back into the dealership and get this information now? It may be that the part is, in fact, hard to get ... but it also may be that you're dealing with a low-rated (or under-staffed) dealership (and need to go elsewhere).

As far as the lease ... I've never leased before, but this raises a legitimate question: if the vehicle is not usable to you for an extended period of time during the lease, AND no substitute transportation has been provided, you should be compensated for that - either by a rebate on your lease, or a time extension (I would think).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was able to read the code thru Onstar. The dealer is saying it's some kind of Thermocouple .

Yes I agree that I should be entitled to some kind of compensation for the lease but I Cannot get any answer from GM and they are no longer contacting me, all I get is a full voicemail notice and my requests to talk to someone else got me a promise of a call back that never happens

·
Registered
197 Posts
Did they give you a rental car? I was in similar situation and it wasn't pleasant. Fortunately it was resolved with a couple of weeks. It must be the virus. It wasn't as bad. Disappointed nonetheless.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes they gave me a rental, of course it's a gas car. Now that they are saying that it's going to be months not weeks to repair the car, I'm not happy buying gas again, after I just spent $800 to get a charger installed in my garage.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Well try making lemonade when you only have lemon. You can try to ask for compensation for the gas. It is better than winding yourself up tight. Gas is cheap lately. Buying gas for a month is not that bad if it saves from hypertension.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
two words : Lemon law. It depends on the state, but if you haven't been able to use the car for 6 weeks (or more) you should be able to return the car (or exchange for a new one).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I talked to two attorneys and even though it qualifies here in Nevada they wont take the case because it's only on it's first repair, and yes May 28th will be 6 weeks without the car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It would be nice if GM would just exchange the car seeing as it only has 1700 miles on it, but no such luck, they wont even talk about it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Where in NV? I have a friend at one of the Chevrolet Dealerships in Vegas who is / was a service writer or manager, Perhaps, he might be able to shed some light.

·
Registered
43 Posts
****. Sorry. I reached out to someone in the Reno area from the electric motorcycle forum
about reliable dealerships in Reno. Hopefully I will hear back with some happy news.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Hello all.

I leased a new 2019 bolt on January 4 2020.
In April the car with 1700 miles got a check engine light which gave a code saying there was a problem with the battery cooling system.
Yeah my 2017 did the exact same thing. Anyway, they had to order the part (this was 3 1/2 years ago) and they put it in, and it's been 45,000 miles with zero problems. Took a couple days. Also, sorry about the zombie apocalypse and pandemic. I can't even get yeast to bake bread within 100 miles. It's screwing up the simplest things. Anyways, be weary about the dealership if they don't work on these cars much. Some of those dudes are veterans, and some are just goddamn idiots they scrape up from behind the dumpster at Jiffy Lube. The average grease monkey will be no better on your car's guts than they would on a piece of industrial robotics. I guess what I'm saying is look in to a different service department if anything seems off. It's under warranty, they'll fix it. It's not the car's fault, **** just happens sometimes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got some good news this morning. The shop received the part sooner than they had originally quoted and the car is repaired. Total time in the shop was 44 days. Even though I'm very unhappy with GM, I hope that from here out I will just be able to enjoy the car and not have to deal with GM anymore.I will post updates and let you know how it's going.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I got some good news this morning. The shop received the part sooner than they had originally quoted and the car is repaired. Total time in the shop was 44 days. Even though I'm very unhappy with GM, I hope that from here out I will just be able to enjoy the car and not have to deal with GM anymore.I will post updates and let you know how it's going.
Yep - the less you see of the dealer, the better. And with the Bolt it’s certainly possible to accomplish that and avoid them until 150,000 miles - and your lease will likely be done well before then. Happy to hear that you have the Bolt back. Cheers!

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Contact GM about reimbursing you for 45 days of lease payments - the time it spent in the shop. ****, ask for 60 days for your inconvenience, then settle for 45.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm glad that the phone call I made helped. :).
No phone call from here.
Glad that things are looking up. Hopefully that will be your
last visit to them in a while

1 - 18 of 18 Posts