Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I just purchased a gently used 2017 bolt ev with 31k miles. At the time of writing this it has yet to be delivered from Carvan so I've been searching through the forums to see what may be useful to know before it is delivered.I do have a few questions/concerns about my new bolt though. I noticed that mine may have the 1st design battery ( my vin ends in 4138766 ) and I'm curious if there are any signs that I may have a module that has low voltage that would lead to me seeing more range than the car actually has. Also, how has the over the air updates been? Few and far between or somewhat regular updates? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :geek:

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Also, how has the over the air updates been? Few and far between or somewhat regular updates?
Welcome to the forum. There was one major OTA update done on the 2017's. Fixed some bugs and removed video playback. There also was a recall software update to hopefully prevent one from being stranded by a bad cell in the battery. Many forum members monitor their cell voltages thru the OBDII port.

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
Make sure you have the battery recall software update, get Torque Pro, and do a full charge battery capacity test. Enjoy the best car you have ever owned.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice so far. I will make sure i have or will get the software updates and I will do a capacity test to ensure I have no bad cells. The link to the obd2 pids led me down a rabbit hole where I learned that connecting an inverter to the 12v battery you can pull about 1.4kwh from the traction battery. WOW! I love this care more already. Could I set up solar panels to the 12v battery and trickle charge it that way? Has anyone tried this? I haven't seen it on these forums yet but maybe I didn't look hard enough.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I believe I found the Carvana listing for the 2017 Bolt EV LT you ordered from your mileage and VIN description. I see its a NightFall Gray metallic LT with DCFC charging option.
The carfax lists a tire was replaced at under 15K miles, I'm always curious why a tire wouldn't last a lot more miles than that and what type of tires they replaced the OEM with.
When your car is delivered, please post here how good the condition was from Carvana - I'm very curious how well they do. :)

·
Registered
628 Posts
A puncture in the sidewall, hitting a curb or a pothole could cause a tire to be damaged beyond repair and would need to be replaced. Ideally the replacement should be of equal size, rating, etc.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It really could be a number of things
I believe I found the Carvana listing for the 2017 Bolt EV LT you ordered from your mileage and VIN description. I see its a NightFall Gray metallic LT with DCFC charging option.
The carfax lists a tire was replaced at under 15K miles, I'm always curious why a tire wouldn't last a lot more miles than that and what type of tires they replaced the OEM with.
When your car is delivered, please post here how good the condition was from Carvana - I'm very curious how well they do. :)
I'll post an update once I have the car, I'm already 4 business days in the waiting process but I'm also out of their main service area. It could be a number of reasons for the tire being changed and I really do hope they stuck with OEM tires. I'm really jumped on this car because in the pictures it was at about 50% showing 125 miles and the miles overall are really low.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quick update on the Carvana experience:
So I placed the order with Carvana on 7/20, called them for verification and since it has been quiet. I then called on the 27th to get an update and they said that the car should be here on the 30th or 31st. Later on that day I got an email basically telling me the same thing. So far everything has gone fine with them, I'll update with some pictures when the car gets here.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So here is my update after receiving the car yesterday. The exterior of the car was fairly dirty ( as to be expected after being on a road trip from California) and the interior was mostly clean besides a few small areas. Overall I was pretty excited to drive it home and I thoroughly enjoyed flooring it to get on the highway. I got the Bolt with a little less than half of the battery charged which is what I expected. I would definitely buy a Bolt from Carvana again. I love this car so much more than my prius. 😁

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So both front tires were replace with Atrezzo SVA1 tires. They are all season tires so my guess is that the previous owner didn't like the OEM tires that came with the Bolt and wanted tires with better grip to the road.

·
Registered
46 Posts
So both front tires were replace with Atrezzo SVA1 tires. They are all season tires so my guess is that the previous owner didn't like the OEM tires that came with the Bolt and wanted tires with better grip to the road.
Interesting, that will probably reduce the range you will get compared to all OEM Michelin energy tires.

·
Registered
2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV Premier w/ driver confidence 2 and infotainment packages in Silver Mist
88 Posts
Hi southernboltguy,
I am a late starter to this forum, but I too bought my ‘17 Bolt through Carvana. I received it mid-February so right before the corona virus lockdown.
In general I didn’t have any complaints about Carvana. The only thing I wish they had not done was replacing all 4 tires with Firestone “fire hawk” AS tires instead of the OEM Michelin “energy saver” or any LLR tires. The problem is even driving like an old lady I can’t get the 238 advertised range.
When I got the car the display told me that the previous owner averaged 4 miles per kWh which is what it takes to get 238.
With these cheap tires I am averaging 3.5 miles per kWh, a full 12.5% below the OEM.

So now I am looking at replacing the Firestone junk because they also make a lot of road noise at 60+.

·
Registered
2018 Bolt EV Premier Nightfall Gray
194 Posts
I replaced the OEM Michelins with Continental Pure Contact @50K miles. I have noticed better grip in all conditions than the OEM tires, and range doesn't seem to have suffered.

·
Registered
2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV Premier w/ driver confidence 2 and infotainment packages in Silver Mist
88 Posts
I will keep that in mind. If you don’t mind my asking, are they less $ than the Michelin’s? I found the standard (not self sealing) “energy saver” AS on eBay for $122 per tire. Thanks!

·
Registered
2018 Bolt EV Premier Nightfall Gray
194 Posts
The Continentals were maybe $10-20 less per tire at Discount Tires than the OEMs. I don't take chances with used tires, and am wary of eBay sellers for tires.

I don't think Self Sealing is all that useful. In 40+ years, I have had exactly one blowout (day after putting new tires on - it was a stem problem, poor workmanship). I have had several slow leaks, but always able to get to a tire repair place. I carry a tire inflator and can of Fix-A-Flat in the "trunk" as an insurance policy.

I will say this, the guys at Discount were shocked to see I got 50K miles on the OEMs. They say they typically see those replaced at 20-30k. I recall the Continentals are rated for 70K.

·
Registered
88 Posts
The Continentals were maybe $10-20 less per tire at Discount Tires than the OEMs. I don't take chances with used tires, and am wary of eBay sellers for tires.
The eBay tires are new. They are coming from Best Wheels Online in Fresno. There’s nothing wrong with buying tires on eBay. Discount/America’s Tire sell on eBay too.
I have purchased from them before... new tires... and paid less than the local America’s Tire. And had them mount them too! You should see the manager’s face when he asked where I got them (the same place he does and for his price 😂) He will still mount them, just no “free rotation “ (big deal I do that myself).

·
Registered
7 Posts
The eBay tires are new. They are coming from Best Wheels Online in Fresno. There’s nothing wrong with buying tires on eBay. Discount/America’s Tire sell on eBay too.
I have purchased from them before... new tires... and paid less than the local America’s Tire. And had them mount them too! You should see the manager’s face when he asked where I got them (the same place he does and for his price 😂) He will still mount them, just no “free rotation “ (big deal I do that myself).
Anyone has 'all weather' (not all season!) tires on their Bolt?

I use Nokian WGR3 for 12 years now on two Priuses (Prii?) and love them. I did not notice any impact on mileage. Mind you it is not an EV! Here in the Great White North snow tires are literally a must during the winter months. All weather tires stay on all year long. All weathers are not quite equivivalent to dedicated snow tires but unless one is a serious witer sport enthusiast, they work well. There are now other manufacturers also, like Michelin and I believe Cooper.

I am considering buying a Bolt so I am in discovery mode.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Anyone has 'all weather' (not all season!) tires on their Bolt?

I use Nokian WGR3 for 12 years now on two Priuses (Prii?) and love them. I did not notice any impact on mileage. Mind you it is not an EV! Here in the Great White North snow tires are literally a must during the winter months. All weather tires stay on all year long. All weathers are not quite equivivalent to dedicated snow tires but unless one is a serious witer sport enthusiast, they work well. There are now other manufacturers also, like Michelin and I believe Cooper.

I am considering buying a Bolt so I am in discovery mode.
Not me. AS tires for California. I have a set of chains if I am going to Tahoe and the requirement sign is up.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts