Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Relocated to a Tucson from NorCal, arrived three weeks ago. Shipped our 2016 Spark EV, and traded it yesterday on a burgundy Bolt Premier at Watson Chevrolet. Love it so far. The only problem is that we're in a short term rental house pending the sale of our house in CA, and I'm having some difficulty sorting out connecting my Juice-box to the clothes dryer outlet in the laundry room.

That issue aside, loving it so far. So much more sophisticated than the Spark. Features, features, features! To say nothing of the range. It will take a while to explore each and every nook and cranny of the car's capabilities

Ron (now in Tucson)

Reactions: hodad66

·
Registered
112 Posts
Relocated to a Tucson from NorCal, arrived three weeks ago. Shipped our 2016 Spark EV, and traded it yesterday on a burgundy Bolt Premier at Watson Chevrolet. Love it so far. The only problem is that we're in a short term rental house pending the sale of our house in CA, and I'm having some difficulty sorting out connecting my Juice-box to the clothes dryer outlet in the laundry room.

That issue aside, loving it so far. So much more sophisticated than the Spark. Features, features, features! To say nothing of the range. It will take a while to explore each and every nook and cranny of the car's capabilities

Ron (now in Tucson)
I'm a fellow Spark EV to Bolt EV owner (with my roots in Tucson), the number of public chargers in Tucson is certainly not what California has but with the longer range of the Bolt you really won't care once you get your home charging set up.

If you get stuck with your Juicebox any competent electrician should be able to manufacture an adapter cable for your dryer outlet. Even a 120V outlet will likely keep you charged up sufficiently for most driving around town.

Enjoy your Cajun Red Bolt EV.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the resource. I'm going to start with the folks at Juicebox to see if there is a problem using a 30 amp dryer outlet for the 40 amp box. At my house in CA I had a 50 amp outlet for the charger. I also located an EV GO quick charge at a mall fairly close to our rental house.

Ron

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV LT
271 Posts
Thanks for the resource. I'm going to start with the folks at Juicebox to see if there is a problem using a 30 amp dryer outlet for the 40 amp box. At my house in CA I had a 50 amp outlet for the charger. I also located an EV GO quick charge at a mall fairly close to our rental house.

Ron
Should work fine but you'll need to tell the juicebox to limit the current output. That's one of the features I like about the juicebox, with their adapters you can plug it into just about anything. On the "pro" you'll do it through the app, and if I recall on the non-pro you'll do it via either jumpers or a POT inside the unit. I'm pretty sure you can find instructions on their website.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Welcome to the forums. The folks at Juice Box will definitely be able to give you the ins and outs of how to get er done but thankfully that's the only issue you have so far. Any complaints on the Bolt itself though?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No problems so far (other than trying to figure out the complex system of finding radio stations and saving them as favorites). This morning I again tried the adapter cable I constructed, plugged it into the dryer outlet and the Juice Box, and topped off the Bolt. This time no problems in 45 minutes of charging. I still need to contact Juice Box to see if there is anything else I need to do on the box (30 amp circuit, 40 amp box).

·
Registered
862 Posts
No problems so far (other than trying to figure out the complex system of finding radio stations and saving them as favorites). This morning I again tried the adapter cable I constructed, plugged it into the dryer outlet and the Juice Box, and topped off the Bolt. This time no problems in 45 minutes of charging. I still need to contact Juice Box to see if there is anything else I need to do on the box (30 amp circuit, 40 amp box).

Trim-pot R20 adjusts current draw limitation for 240V operation. The far right setting is 40A (as pictured, default if 40A product ordered), the far left is 0A. Current draw limit setting is equally spaced from 0 to 40. So, 30A is ¾ of the way to the far right, etc.

Trim-pot R25 adjusts current draw limitation for 120V operation. By default, it is set at 15A, which is 2 o’clock relative to the bottom of the board. These were dropped from later 8.12 versions as seen in the second picture, which is an v8.12.4

If you would like a precise current limit setting (within 1 A), you will need an FTDI programming cable - you will be opening a serial port and viewing run data.

https://emotorwerks.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/215838667-V8-12-Current-Limit-Classic

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I saw that on the Juice Box website. I opened mine and could see no corresponding adjusters. The final statement in that help file is that the worst that could happen is you'd blow a fuse on the dryer line. Two nights of problem-free charging, so not going to "muck about" in the box for right now.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Welcome fellow AZ Bolt owner! I'm in Phoenix with my Cajun Red Premier. I've now seen one other Cajun Red Rocket (southbound SR51 in the mornings!) and a white standard (northbound Scottsdale 101 in the afternoon)... but not many yet. Now that the order books are wide open I'm hoping to see many more (beyond the GM autonomous test units in downtown Scottsdale of course...see those all the time).

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
New Bolt in Tucson

Going on 3 weeks now. Love it more every day. Some updates:

1. Figured out the Juicebox issue. Wasn't getting the adapted plug all the way into the dryer outlet in the laundry room, so the charging was quickly interrupted. Since that discovery, have charged it
four times without an issue from the 30 amp circuit breaker.
2. Looking at houses to purchase and there is one that has a 400 amp electrical service with 200 amps into the garage. The house also has plentiful solar panels (all purchased and paid-for). The only
downside is that there are two routes to get to the house (up in the Catalinas). Both on not county-maintained dirt roads. One is fairly level, but two miles and twisty, and the other is a straight
but crosses two washes that are prone to flash floods when it rains. We've driven the twisty once in the Bolt, and it seems to make it with no trouble. Two questions
A. Is the suspension tough enough to endure bumps taken slowly but daily?
B. Is there any issue with regularly driving over dirt roads vis-a-vis the underside of the car being coated in dirt? Overheating the battery?
3. Getting used to the rear-view mirror/camera. Love the overhead view in reverse.
4. With the Juicebox at-home charging, I'm going out in the morning and greeted with about 252 miles of estimated range.

Ron

Reactions: eops

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Is there any issue with regularly driving over dirt roads vis-a-vis the underside of the car being coated in dirt? Overheating the battery?
The battery is cooled internally using a liquid cooling loop that runs off the air conditioner. So as long as your country road doesn't take out the air conditioner (a rock in the radiator, perhaps?) then the battery should be fine.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Going on 3 weeks now. Love it more every day. Some updates:

400 amp electrical service with 200 amps into the garage. The house also has plentiful solar panels (all purchased and paid-for).
Ron
400 amp is a lot. Is that basic 120v/240 volt?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
200 Amps in the garage

400 amp is a lot. Is that basic 120v/240 volt?
Our first look at the house was a quickie. Longer look today and I'll be looking carefully in the garage.

Ron

1 - 15 of 15 Posts