Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased a new 2017 Bolt last week and love it thus far. I expect to put nearly 30,000 miles on it annually, at least for the first couple years. I found this forum trying to find charging tips in regard to keeping battery at top capacity. I'm looking forward to learning from those who have had a Bolt for a while.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Better getting a Bolt now than later, Gator. Welcome aboard. Enjoy your new Bolt. Now you'll know for yourself what we've all been raving about.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Welcome, fellow Floridian! I’ve had my Bolt for about 8 months and 9500 miles. Still makes me happy to drive it every day! :)

Given your climate conditions being similar to mine (northeast FL), I’ll be curious to know how your Bolt does with range. (Lately, my Bolt is indicating 300+ miles after a full recharge. I do mainly local driving and only intermittently run climate control this time of year.)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi all. Bolt owner Tampa Bay. This winter in Florida has been ideal for range. I’m getting around 315 per charge so far. Now that it’s getting hotter we’ll need a/c soon, so I expect range will probably drop, maybe by 15% or so.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Welcome to the Bolt family. I'm in Orlando.. purchased my LT in August 2017. Gainesville should be a good place to own an EV based on the availability of free charging. I've not taken my Bolt that far North yet, but my daughter has been accepted at UF Medical School for the fall so I'm sure I'll be making the trip a few times.

A little piece of advice regarding charging that many Bolt owners follow. There is a feature called Hilltop Reserve. Basically, it prevents the car from charging to 100% (by reserving 10-11% of the battery). The feature was intended for when owners live on a hilltop and expect some amount of regenerative braking when leaving their residence (regen doesn't work well if the battery is full). There is a generally held belief that it is not good to charge your battery all the way to 100% since it takes a lot more time to get that last 10% and the chemical/heating effect on the battery may cause some premature wear (decreased capacity). So what most owners seem to do is leave hilltop reserve on when doing their normal (<200 mile) runs. If they plan to go out of town or road trip somewhere, they turn the feature off and charge the car fully.

Enjoy the car. I love mine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome to the Bolt family. I'm in Orlando.. purchased my LT in August 2017. Gainesville should be a good place to own an EV based on the availability of free charging. I've not taken my Bolt that far North yet, but my daughter has been accepted at UF Medical School for the fall so I'm sure I'll be making the trip a few times.

A little piece of advice regarding charging that many Bolt owners follow. There is a feature called Hilltop Reserve.

Enjoy the car. I love mine.
Thanks for the charging advice. I had to use the free charging stations in town the first 6 days that I had the car as I didn't have a level 2 charger until a couple days ago. On campus I found that the charger at the Law school is always open. There's at least 6 other places with charging stations but I've only used one of them, in the O-Dome parking garage. 4 chargers and at times they are all used. The Chargepoint app has all of these listed I believe.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts