Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Bolt EV Premier Cajun Red
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking to buy a Bolt EV Premier in southeastern Mass or Rhode Island. We wanted one in the red but could only find one red premier in Norwood, MA and that got sold before we could drive up there. I wanted one with the DC fast charge option for resale value down the road. After speaking with the salesman that sold me my Corvette he said that he has a Bolt LT and really liked it. They only had one Premier in Orange Burst but it did not have the DC charge option. He suggested that we lease one instead as three years down the road who knows how the technology on an EV will evolve.
I priced a $0 down 36 month lease at another dealership that had the Infotainment Pkg, the Driver Convenience II option and the DC charge option plus weather mats. They quoted me $440 for a 36 month lease even though they were advertising a 36 month $0 down $199 lease on a LT model. How can the Premier be more than double even with the sales tax added?
I went back to my Corvette dealer and the Premier in orange with the same packages but without the DC charger was there with a list of $43,215 and a buy it now price of $36,999 not including the Owner Loyal Lease of $1,500 ( that we did not qualify for), or a 10K 36 month lease $0 down for $259.00. We ended up leasing the same car for 36 months with 12K per year for $266.17 and that included all of the dealer fees and registration fees. Adding in the MA Sales Tax the total lease came to $282.81/month with the first month free. PLUS we still will get the $2,500 MOR-EV Mass rebate of $2,500. So the bottom line out the door with nothing down at all we will be leasing the car for $211.14 per month after getting the rebate. That is 1/2 the depreciation that we have had on our last 2 Cadillac CTS-4's. I think it is a pretty good deal for Massachusetts. Not as good as those in California but still much better than the other dealer's lease quote of $444/month. After looking at maps in the area of Level 2 charge stations and DC charge units I realized that there are no DC station in our area so why spend $750 on an option that we might only use a few times on a long trip.

My next task is to get a Level 2 charge station installed at my home. I am considering the GM recommend AV unit but will buy it myself online and save a few hundred. I look forward to picking up my new Bolt tomorrow.

Fred in New Bedford, MA

·
Registered
31 Posts
Congrats Anselmoc5, good deal overall. I agree that California has the best deals right now. I got the DCFC option, but not sure if i will use during my 3 year lease. Enjoy your new ride.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
My next task is to get a Level 2 charge station installed at my home. I am considering the GM recommend AV unit but will buy it myself online and save a few hundred. I look forward to picking up my new Bolt tomorrow.

Fred in New Bedford, MA
Welcome aboard! Take a good look at the plugged, non WiFi version of the Siemens VersiCharge (30 amp continuous). It costs much less and has worked wonderfully for me. In my garage at 240 volts, it gives me a reliable 24 rmpch. It hangs on a sturdy bracket, but can easily be lifted off IF you need to take it with you anywhere they have a 240V outlet. You are not hurting for Level 2 OR Level 3 EVSE in MA, but you never know. There is nothing wrong with the Aerovironment EVSE, but others are also good.

·
Registered
2020 Bolt EV Premier Cajun Red
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Won a 240 volt charger online today

Welcome aboard! Take a good look at the plugged, non WiFi version of the Siemens VersiCharge (30 amp continuous). It costs much less and has worked wonderfully for me. In my garage at 240 volts, it gives me a reliable 24 rmpch. It hangs on a sturdy bracket, but can easily be lifted off IF you need to take it with you anywhere they have a 240V outlet. You are not hurting for Level 2 OR Level 3 EVSE in MA, but you never know. There is nothing wrong with the Aerovironment EVSE, but others are also good.

I was searching for a new Aerovironment wired ESVE Level 2 240 volt and saw one listed online at that auction site. It is brand new and the person had two and only needed one of them. For the longest time I had the highest bid at $371.26 but at the last minute someone tried to "snipe" the bid so I had to counter bid. I won it for $399.00. It has the smart software for WiFi use and usually sells for discounted $598 so I got a good deal. It should be an easy install (for a qualified electrician of course) because I have a 50 amp line out to my hot tub with a GFI box. I no longer use the hot tub and will redirect the wiring over to where I plan to mount the charger I picked up the new Pemier yesterday and we love it. Yes there are a few Level 2 stations not too far from me but I would rather charge it at my home.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
California has best lease deal ? A=yes. California has best purchase deal A=no. Look north to the province of Ontario, Canada.
Parts of California are better than Ontario. In the Central Valley you can get $7500 federal, $3000 Valley Air Pollution District, $2500 California Rebate, and $500 utility rebate. That is $13,500 and since the US currency is stronger than Canadian, it is worth more than the maximum $14,000 Ontario credit.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Parts of California are better than Ontario. In the Central Valley you can get $7500 federal, $3000 Valley Air Pollution District, $2500 California Rebate, and $500 utility rebate. That is $13,500 and since the US currency is stronger than Canadian, it is worth more than the maximum $14,000 Ontario credit.
No. All Bolts get $14k CAD province of Ontario point-of-purchase credit. Not an income tax credit like the USA – our credit is taken right off your bill of sale (dealer gets hung out to dry in claiming the $14k from the government). PLUS in most cases, $1,000 CAD province of Ontario charging incentive credit. AND the Bolt is MSRP priced at currency translation rate of about $1 CAD= $.86 USD, adjusted for the standard/free DC fast charging option on Cdn Bolts. As the spot exchange rate is currently around $1 CAD= $.78 USD, there`s no way any dealer in California has that much gross margin to give away.

And given our dipsh1t of a Bank of Canada governor, the Canadian dollar will stay in the dumper for a long time.

Trust me, Ontario Canada is the best place on the planet to buy yer Ontario-licensed Bolt.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Hi Fred,
I'll be looking to lease a 2019 Bolt in the near future. I live near Brockton and haven't found a lease deal anywhere near your lease of $211. What dealer did you go with? It would be worth driving down to your area to get something similar.
Thanks

·
Registered
640 Posts
So after 6+ months of ownership what is your opinion of the Bolt EV?
How are the seats? There have been complaints of them being too narrow and/or too hard.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
How are the seats? There have been complaints of them being too narrow and/or too hard.
I fretted about the seats after reading all the negative reports about them. And I had some minor issues with right leg discomfort for a week or two last fall after I first started driving the Bolt (not the first car in which that's happened). But now it feels perfectly comfortable, and that includes a long 14-hour trip I recently took.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts

Love the car, seats are no problem for me. 2017 Premiere (w/leather). 6', 180lbs.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Seats are absolutely comfprtable for me (5'10", 200 lbs.) but my longest time in the seat is about 8 hours (unlike that mega-man, Sean!) Also doesn't bother me that the interior has lots of plastic, OR that is a Chevrolet (covering the 3 greatest complaints, as per Chris Farrer, YouTuber).

·
Registered
640 Posts
Seats are absolutely comfprtable for me (5'10", 200 lbs.) but my longest time in the seat is about 8 hours (unlike that mega-man, Sean!) Also doesn't bother me that the interior has lots of plastic, OR that is a Chevrolet (covering the 3 greatest complaints, as per Chris Farrer, YouTuber).
I remember watching a video where the presenter complained about the plastic interior, and to me, it was just a non-issue. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I fretted about the seats after reading all the negative reports about them. And I had some minor issues with right leg discomfort for a week or two last fall after I first started driving the Bolt (not the first car in which that's happened). But now it feels perfectly comfortable, and that includes a long 14-hour trip I recently took.
Your body probably just needed to adapt to the new position/seat. If you were fine doing a 14 hour trip :eek: then the seats are simply not an issue. Thanks for your response.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Complaints about the Seats are all relative. For myself the Bolt seats (Premier) were an upgrade as I had been driving a 2008 Camry Hybrid with Cloth Seats and in almost all my previous vehicles had purchased the base model.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Your body probably just needed to adapt to the new position/seat. If you were fine doing a 14 hour trip :eek: then the seats are simply not an issue. Thanks for your response.
I think the accelerator pedal might be the cause. When I got my Prius C I had similar issues because it took me something like a month for my leg and foot to get used to the feather-light accelerator pedal. I was used to very slightly resting my foot on the pedal while cruising because my previous cars had enough upward return pressure to do that. With the Prius, it was like I had to suspend my foot in space to hold a steady speed.

The Bolt's pedal has a stronger return spring, and I think I just had to unlearn my former muscle memory.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I think the accelerator pedal might be the cause. When I got my Prius C I had similar issues because it took me something like a month for my leg and foot to get used to the feather-light accelerator pedal. I was used to very slightly resting my foot on the pedal while cruising because my previous cars had enough upward return pressure to do that. With the Prius, it was like I had to suspend my foot in space to hold a steady speed.

The Bolt's pedal has a stronger return spring, and I think I just had to unlearn my former muscle memory.
That makes total sense and you're probably right to suspect the accelerator pedal as the cause for your discomfort. Also, if you use one-pedal-driving, it would be a different driving style than you were used to.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts