Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We stuck it to the man here in Virginia on Tuesday, so I guess to celebrate I went out and stuck it to the man again on Wednesday by going electric and buying a Bolt.

Loving it so far, but I'm glad I've got a 3-day weekend to play around with it. L mode is a real trip. I'm still getting the hang of it in a few situations (e.g., coming out of cruise smoothly, and a couple of other things), but I definitely like this newfangled way of driving.

Glad to be part of the club!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Yes, slowing down rapidly when you are coming off cruise in L is a little disconcerting.
I find when traffic demands, I toggle down to D first. Then when you have to disconnect cruise, the aggressive slow down does not occur.
It almost seems right to use D when in cruise control and highway driving...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Most of the time I like being in L when coming out of cruise. After enough practice one is able switch out of cruise at a point such that the car stops close to where it should. It becomes a game of sorts. Probably won't work as well in city driving. It took me a while to find that pressing the slow down paddle on the steering wheel will take it out of cruise, which is handy.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
I've now mastered getting out of cruise while staying in L. My issue was with my ICE familiarity getting in the way. On my non drive by wire ICE, the cruise control actually mechanically holds the accelerator in position. So on the Bolt I put would put my foot on the pedal and turned off the cruise control and the car immediate tried to regeneratively brake. But now I know I have to advance the accelerator forward prior to turning off the cruise control as the cruise control in a drive by wire configuration has no way to hold the accelerator in an advanced position.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Also when you are charging with DC Fast Charge (Owner's Manual page 234), be aware that you MUST end the DC charging session BEFORE pulling the plug out of the Bolt's charging port.

·
Registered
13 Posts
We are also looking for a Bolt in NOVA! Do you mind sharing where and how much you paid for the bolt. Also did you get an LT or Premier.

Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
I've now mastered getting out of cruise while staying in L. My issue was with my ICE familiarity getting in the way. On my non drive by wire ICE, the cruise control actually mechanically holds the accelerator in position. So on the Bolt I put would put my foot on the pedal and turned off the cruise control and the car immediate tried to regeneratively brake. But now I know I have to advance the accelerator forward prior to turning off the cruise control as the cruise control in a drive by wire configuration has no way to hold the accelerator in an advanced position.
Yeah, I learned exactly the same thing when I got my Prius C, which also has a drive-by-wire system. It trained me up well for the Bolt.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We are also looking for a Bolt in NOVA! Do you mind sharing where and how much you paid for the bolt. Also did you get an LT or Premier.

Thanks for sharing!
I got mine from Ted Britt Chevy up in Sterling. 2017 Premier trim with all the option packages, red exterior (which is extra), and this one happened to have the black bowtie logo on it (which is also extra - but hey, it's normally . I offered $41k out-the-door (i.e., all fees included) and they took that offer, which surprised me a little since it worked out to roughly $5k under MSRP and I didn't qualify for the loyalty discount ($1500 if you own a Chevy already), but I'm sure they got some money back on my trade-in. Anyway, there are a few dealers in the area selling Bolts, but if you head up to Ted Britt, their EV sales guy is Mark Latta, and he's super knowledgeable. They have a pretty good route there for test drives, which is good since VA 7 is horrible.

Best of luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts