Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After watching a zillion videos and reading as many forums, today, I drove the 2 hours to the nearest Chevy dealership to finally be able to touch and drive a Bolt. I should explain that my "local" Chevy dealership does not and will not even discuss this car. They won't sell them or service them. The excuse was that the car is much too expensive for them to get certified and trained on for it to be profitable. Whatever.

I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised. I went in knowing about all of the negatives; the uncomfortable seats, the plastic, the cheap leather, the small cargo space, etc. However, the seats were just fine. In fact, the entire interior was as expected and completely acceptable. What really threw me was how flat the floor is - it's a bit uncanny. And the leg room goes on for miles!

The car handles quite well. The steering is responsive. It has a bit of roll in the corners, but not bad. The acceleration is pretty dang impressive. Put your foot down and hold on! There is a bit of lag, which I do not see as a negative (I like rubber to stay on my tires) and there is some torque steer as expected. The regenerative breaking is a serious gee-wow. So, I love this car and bought this car. I will be taking delivery of it next week and cannot wait to be driving it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Nice story!

Sounds like you've got the EV bug bite :)
And you're wondering why would anyone want to drive a non EV. And you're looking forward to all the progressive improvements in the EV industry.

Welcome to the EV Renaissance and congratulations on buying the affordable front runner Bolt!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Congratulations from Greater Vancouver, Canada!

Your experience is much like mine. I did a lot of research before I bought, and I was aware of all of the negatives.

I was a bit worried about the comfort of the seats, but there's no issue there for either me or my wife. Yes, there's a lot of hard plastic, but I don't care--and this is from a guy (me) who has owned Mercedes and Audis. Yes, it's a little bit on the small side--but on the exterior only. I actually like having a small car: fits everywhere! The interior is surprisingly roomy. The flat floor ... well ... it floored me. :)

My Bolt Premier is great car, and I'd don't have to buy gas ... ever!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No more gas stations!

I absolutely loathe going to the gas station and pumping gas. Especially when the snow starts flying. I am not going to miss standing at a gas pump during a winter storm (which is usually when the tank is on E).

I am also not going to miss having to mess about with oil changes ever again.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I too took my first test drive today, getting back into my ICE I was struck by the noise and vibrations. Now if only I can reach an agreement with my local dealer.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Welcome aboard. Share your experiences and ask many questions from which we all learn (relearn?). Your Chevy dealers must have gone to the same business schools that our WV ones attended!

·
Registered
135 Posts
I'll bet you went to Bozarth Chevy in Grand Junction. I bought two Volts from them (David Davis, an exceptional and knowledgable salesman), and have been very happy with their service. Unfortunately, GJ is 60+ miles from Montrose, and on the occasional trips we make to Sam's Club there, the '17 Volt burns gas on the way back. I tried to buy a Bolt from them, but they couldn't beat the deal I got from Keyes Chevy in Van Nuys, Cali., even with $700 shipping cost.

Looking forward to "all electric" trips to Grand Junction in our new nifty Bolt!

Reactions: phidgt

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll bet you went to Bozarth Chevy in Grand Junction.
I did get the car from Ed Bozarth, however, it was his location in Lone Tree, Colorado just south of Denver.

This is quite a distance from where I live in Steamboat Springs, but it was the best we could do. Our local Chevy dealers won't have anything to do with the car. They were citing the cost of training and certification far outweighs the sales. Personally, I think that they are missing the boat on that one.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I did get the car from Ed Bozarth, however, it was his location in Lone Tree, Colorado just south of Denver.

This is quite a distance from where I live in Steamboat Springs, but it was the best we could do. Our local Chevy dealers won't have anything to do with the car. They were citing the cost of training and certification far outweighs the sales. Personally, I think that they are missing the boat on that one.
Dealer cost for equipment, training and required DCFC is ~$40K.
You've got to do a fair amount of volume to come close to a break even, given the discounts expected off of MSRP and the lack of service revenue from routine maintenance.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dealer cost for equipment, training and required DCFC is ~$40K.
You've got to do a fair amount of volume to come close to a break even, given the discounts expected off of MSRP and the lack of service revenue from routine maintenance.
Out of the two dealers located closest to me, one was quite abrupt with a firm "Nope, can't help you". The other one explained their cost issue and how they had to choose which cars to get certified for. He was bummed because his dealership opted for the new corvette over the Bolt.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts