Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, just purchased a Bolt last week to be our new daily driver/family hauler.
My Wife is the lucky person who will get to enjoy it daily, but I'll certainly be volunteering for errands whenever possible. LOVE it so far. We just had the juicebox installed yesterday, so we're now officially ready to go!

Looking forward to reading through the forums and brushing up on any tips, tricks, etc. everyone has to share.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Welcome aboard. The tips & tricks "can" be hard to find when you need them. Our "search" function is hampered by threads altering and even going off topic so that the keyword you get is not what you want and the one one you want is not "gettable". We don't mind repeat questions, though. Even after 10 months, I frequently learn something new from one of the learned responders explaining it once again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! First ever EV for either of us and we somehow skipped hybrids and went straight from ICE to EV. LOVE it....even gave up my beloved Mustang GT so the wife could drive in modern comfort. She went from an '04 Subaru that was tired to the Bolt. Losing the mustang now requires that I drive our Durango RT (the mustang of family haulers?), so I'm coping. :)

·
Registered
575 Posts
Be sure to apply for your rebates:
$7500 federal tax credit - you have to owe at least $7500 in 2018 to get all of it. Of course, you can't apply for this until you file your 2018 taxes.
$2500 from the Center for Sustainable Energy: https://energycenter.org/program/clean-vehicle-rebate-project. Make sure your temporary registration is legible, or wait for the official registration.
$500 from PG&E: https://www.pge.com/en_US/residenti.../clean-fuel-rebate-for-electric-vehicles.page. I think you need the official registration for this one.

And the CAV decals that let you drive solo in HOV lanes: it costs $22 and you need the official registration.
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/forms/reg/reg1000

167 Posts
Since you live in the quake zone, get an inverter so you may use the Bolt EV as an emergency power supply for your home. Read your owner's manual completely and brief your wife on what you learn. Check out all the Bolt EV videos on YouTube--great how to videos. Put a bumper sticker on your car that say's "F Jerry, His "kids" and His Gas Tax!"...

·
Registered
575 Posts
That 12 cent hike in the gas tax last November was a motivating factor in my decision to buy a Bolt. It's such a joy to drive by my former 'favorite' gas station every day in the HOV lane, and seeing the prices go up regularly. There is no sweeter revenge than avoiding taxes and rising costs.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Average gas prices should probably reach $4 in California this summer. Reports are showing that gas consumption during the month of March are on par with typical summer usage. I believe So Cal mandates the more expensive "summer blend" on April 1st and Northern California is May 1.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the replies! I really appreciate the kind words and feedback - very much appreciated. I'm finding that in all my research prior to purchase, and now having an EV - the addiction is in full swing.

Re: credits/rebates - The Bolt itself, coupled with the tax incentives definitely pushed me over the edge to pull the trigger now. I thought about waiting a few years, but with the political climate lately, I didn't want to "hope" the same incentives would be available then. If things stay the same, it seems like GM wouldn't have reached the 200k mark to officially begin the wind-down process for the federal tax credit, but....the future is unpredictable.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts