Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - I took ownership of my new Bolt on Oct. 23 and it's now back in the shop for the fourth time. Before I share my woes and get some input, I'd like to know who sponsors this forum. Is it sponsored by Chevy or is it private? In case I end up needing to take legal action, I'd like to clarify where I'm posting. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
Oh wow, I'm so sorry to hear that you're having so many problems. I hope you can get things resolved as quickly and painlessly as possible.

From what I can tell, this site is one of many run by "Autoguide.com" - look down at the very bottom of the page. They run forums for cars from all the manufacturers, so I doubt that they're sponsored by Chevy, certainly not exclusively.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Anything you post online is in a public space. GM does wander through here and the Bolt group on FB occasionally. Just keep that in mind. Good luck solving your problems. Sadly the lemon laws do exist for a reason.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
With the lemon law things shouldn't be that difficult to resolve. Once the car hits the requirement for the lemon law, it would be silly for the dealership/GM to not honor it. You will need to put up with the nonsense unfortunately until the lemon law requirements are met.

·
Registered
989 Posts
This guy has 1 post and this is it. Hasen't been seen since. I smell a RAT!

• Last Activity: Yesterday 11:02 AM
  • Referrals: 0

·
Registered
4 Posts
Problem charging my Bolt

Hi there , Im new on here and its my first time that I ever participated on a trend, I just bought a Bolt yesterday , and drove it around for 150 km my battery indicator showed that I had remaining 142 km balance . At 8PM i plugged the car into a 110V wall plug and left the car all night , today morning at 9AM , exactly 13 hours later I come out to my car and the indicator shows that I have 162 km left. I went straight to the dealer and the sales person told me that he had no experience with this issue. They let me plug into the SuperCharger and within 30 minuits I was able to get 200 km charge on the car . It allowed me to get around for the day.
Am I doing something wrong? Does the 110V plug work or is this normal? The weather in Montreal yesterday was -5 C and the car was parked outdoors.

Please help do I have a lemon? or is there some setting I need to activate?

John

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
Does the 110V plug work or is this normal?
Charging on 110V is pretty slow, especially if you don't go into the energy settings and tell it to charge at 12A instead of the default 8A. And in subzero weather the car is going to use some of that energy to keep the battery warm, which will slow charging down even more.

The 8A vs. 12A setting is there so that you don't overload your household circuits in case you have old wiring or if you use a circuit that's shared with other equipment. If those aren't issues for you then you should enable "Location Based Charging" which will "remember" the 12A setting whenever the car senses (via it's on-board GPS) that you're in your home location. Otherwise, you'll have to remember to switch it to 12A each time you charge.

The EVSE ("Electric Vehicle Service Equipment", which is the "charging cord") that came with the car is capable of using 240V if you make or buy an adapter so it can plug it into that kind of outlet - that will double the charge rate. And there are Level 2 (techno-speak for "240V") chargers you can buy that can charge at much higher currents - the car can accept up to 32A at 240V which is enough to fully charge it from empty to full in less than 10 hours in normal temperatures.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Hi there , Im new on here and its my first time that I ever participated on a trend, I just bought a Bolt yesterday , and drove it around for 150 km my battery indicator showed that I had remaining 142 km balance . At 8PM i plugged the car into a 110V wall plug and left the car all night , today morning at 9AM , exactly 13 hours later I come out to my car and the indicator shows that I have 162 km left. I went straight to the dealer and the sales person told me that he had no experience with this issue. They let me plug into the SuperCharger and within 30 minuits I was able to get 200 km charge on the car . It allowed me to get around for the day.
Am I doing something wrong? Does the 110V plug work or is this normal? The weather in Montreal yesterday was -5 C and the car was parked outdoors.

Please help do I have a lemon? or is there some setting I need to activate?

John
It's straightforward to estimate how long it will take to charge. Your Bolt has a 60 kWh (kilowatt-hour) battery and the owner's manual states you can charge at 8 amps or 12 amps. Let's assume you left it at the default of 8A. For simplicity sakes, let's use your 110V outlet so your charging rate is roughly 110V x 8A = 880 watts, which is 0.88 kW for an hour of charge. You charged for 13 hours, which means you put in 0.88 kW/hr * 13hrs = 11.44 kWh were put back in your Bolt. For my Bolt, driving style (90% freeway), HVAC use (72F heater ON), and environment (lows 40F, highs 55F, rain), I am averaging 2.9 miles/kWh, or 4.67 km/kWh. So that 11.44 kWh added 53 km to your range and you should've went from 142 km evening before to 195 km the morning after. If you did nothing to the car and didn't experience a blizzard overnight, your increase of only 20 km sounds suspect.

Now for the charging at your dealer. How far is you dealer? No clue, but let's work backwards based on some assumptions! I'll assume when you say "SuperCharger", you mean the DC fast charger that's typically installed by GM dealerships which is a 24 kW charger. So after 30 minutes, you should get 12 kWh added to your Bolt, which in km is roughly 12 kWh x 4.67 km/kWh = 56 km. After fast charging, your range now read 200 km, right? So 200km - 56km = 144 km when you arrived at the dealership. So range when you left your house was 162 km and when you arrived it was 144 km, so your dealership is roughly 18 km away from your home. Did I guess right?

Regardless, overnight your charging seems a bit too slow. Your numbers make it seem like you're only charging at 50% efficiency when you should be getting 80% when charging at [email protected]

A good test you can do is run your Bolt down to 50% EV range and find a free charger at Walmart or something. Take note the exact percentage and time when you started charging using the myChevrolet app. Then go shopping for about an hour or two. Come back to your car exactly one or two hours later and unplug, then note the time elapsed and the % EV range of your Bolt. If you shopped for 1 hour exactly (from plug to unplug), you should've gotten another 8 to 11 % of EV range. For 2 hrs, 16 to 22 % EV range increase. If you drastically differ from these numbers, such as 4 to 6 % EV range increase, you might have a problem on your hands.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not a rat, DrDiesel, just a busy mom of three with two jobs and all her free time being sucked up by car problems. Have some mercy!

We have had ongoing problems with the 12Volt battery. The car died completely the morning after we picked it up. The dealership, who hasn't had much experience with the Bolt (we are the 13th they've sold), said it needed to be charged. They charged it and it was good for three days and then the "service battery charging system" light came on again. They purportedly replaced the 12V battery at that point (later we found at they actually didn't), and we drove it for about ten days without issue, except we found the car wasn't regenerating power until we got down 100 km from full charge. This didn't seem normal to me though the dealer said that was normal because "it was cold." (Temp was in high 30s to low 40s F.) We asked them to take a look at it anyway, and it wouldn't start the next day, despite having charged overnight. At that point they replaced the 12V battery for real, and sent the car home with us. About 2 km after leaving the dealership, the service battery charging system light came back on. We brought the car back in and they had it for the past two weeks talking to "experts" at Chevy. Finally they decided the problem was the "contactor," which they replaced. I got the car back yesterday and have only driven about 15 km, but so far so good.

I can't tell if it is regenerating power properly as I fully charged it last night.

So here are my questions at this point:

1. I know that when the battery is full I can't regenerate power, but at what point should it start regenerating again? And what temperature consists of "too cold" to regenerate power?

2. Assuming the car is truly fixed this time, am I due for some compensation from Chevy? Our car has been in the shop for a total of 3 of the 6 weeks we've owned it. They gave us a rental but we've been paying for gas for it, not to mention the time suck of dealing with all this. The dealership's communication with us was terrible, and we would go days without hearing from them, only getting information when we called repeatedly. They haven't offered us anything out of goodwill, but have several times emphasized that they hope we can say we were 100% satisfied with their service when we get the questionnaire from GM.

(And sadly, there are no lemon laws here in Ontario. So let's hope we're good from here.)

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
tzmax, sounds like you need to look for a better dealer. I'm sure another one with more Bolt experience would be happy to take care of your Bolt's service needs.

As for when regen can occur, that should happen when you start using up the traction/HV/driving/EV battery (the 60 kWh one). I've found at full regen doesn't have the "bite" it does once I've used a bar of EV range (you should have 20 bars on your EV range meter, so 1 bar = 5% of battery).

Your 12V issues seem like the HV charging system is not charging your 12V battery. If your problem arises again, I'd specifically ask if there's a code thrown related to charging the 12V battery. I think this has happened on the 2016/2017/2018 Volt as well as the 2017 Bolt.

·
Registered
5,357 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, thanks, GJETSON, I saw that thread a few weeks ago and actually passed the info on to our dealer, but he said that wasn't the problem I've had the car back since Friday and driven it about 150 km and so good, so far. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quirky Squirt - it looks like it's taking two bars before I start regenerating. I'll check again after my next full charge (right now I'm not charging it to see how far my actual range is now that the cold weather is here.) But it seems like, unless I'm planning a long distance drive, I should charge it in "hilltop mode" to take advantage of the start and stop city driving I mostly do.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts