Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After months of watching videos on the Bolt, I decided to take the plunge and bought a 2017 Premier w/34,000 miles on it two days ago from a local Carmax. The bad parts are that I got the car with around 15 miles and only have a 120V option at home, so it's taking forever to get it to a comfortable charge amount. Ultimately, I plan to use the car for client meetings and some moderate road trips of around 200 miles round trip while either charging it at a local charging station or along the way to my meetings. Early impressions after putting 40 or so miles on it:
  • I Love It!!!
  • Great speed/acceleration
  • Tons of cabin space
  • Wish it had more cargo space -- with a small family, sticking a stroller in the trunk is about all that fits
  • The seats aren't that bad and are fine for me (6', 210)
Great car thus far coming from an '11 Prius Two that broke down repeatedly and cost me a ton in repairs.

Happy to be a part of this community!

·
Registered
445 Posts
Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the Bolt community. If your circuit can handle 12 amps make sure you have the car set for that to maximize the charging speed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah, good point ... running down to the garage to change that now. Thanks and glad to be part of the extended Bolt family!

Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the Bolt community. If your circuit can handle 12 amps make sure you have the car set for that to maximize the charging speed.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I am about your size, 6'1" and 200 lbs. I can't even fit in the seat. My back is just too wide for the little seats they put in the car.

Can you get a 240 Volt charger installed in your house? If the breaker box is close to a place where you can install a plug it shouldn't be much money. Before any of my friends buy an EV I tell them they need 32 amp charging before they bring the car home. 120 volt charging doesn't cut it for most people.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So this week saw me driving into the SF Bay Area for work, which is about 110 miles away with me making a return trip last night. And with Bay Area traffic, thats about three hours each way (the HOV sticker is a lifesaver!). And on this journey, I’m now seeing the seat issues and and feeling pain in my lower back, so I agree with you. I’ll probably buy some padding or something for longer trips.

Luckily in my neck of the woods, there are public chargers everywhere, which I was able to take advantage of for this trip, though with the range of this car, I probably didn’t have to (220 mile round trip only saw me burn through about 160 miles of range). If I owned my home though I would absolutely invest in a better charging infrastructure as you noted.

Thanks!

I am about your size, 6'1" and 200 lbs. I can't even fit in the seat. My back is just too wide for the little seats they put in the car.

Can you get a 240 Volt charger installed in your house? If the breaker box is close to a place where you can install a plug it shouldn't be much money. Before any of my friends buy an EV I tell them they need 32 amp charging before they bring the car home. 120 volt charging doesn't cut it for most people.

·
Registered
856 Posts
So this week saw me driving into the SF Bay Area for work, which is about 110 miles away with me making a return trip last night. And with Bay Area traffic, thats about three hours each way (the HOV sticker is a lifesaver!). And on this journey, I’m now seeing the seat issues and and feeling pain in my lower back, so I agree with you. I’ll probably buy some padding or something for longer trips.
After about 63,000 miles I think I am done with the seats. If I can't get the reupholstered to make it comfortable I will have to get a new car. The car has so much headroom that it would be a great car for a tall person, but the seats are so narrow. I love EVERYTHING about the Bolt besides the seats. It is really a shame.

·
Registered
611 Posts
  • Wish it had more cargo space -- with a small family, sticking a stroller in the trunk is about all that fits
Same here - when the stroller is in there, game over. Maybe I could squeeze in a small bag or two, but that's about it. I should also say that I have a spare tire living under the false floor, so there's that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Same here - when the stroller is in there, game over. Maybe I could squeeze in a small bag or two, but that's about it. I should also say that I have a spare tire living under the false floor, so there's that.
Agreed. One of the things that I looked forward to upon purchase was the generous amount of cargo space listed, but for the most part, the numbers I saw were with the backseats down. With kids in the back, that obviously ain't gonna happen so that stroller eats it all up. :/

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
After about 63,000 miles I think I am done with the seats. If I can't get the reupholstered to make it comfortable I will have to get a new car. The car has so much headroom that it would be a great car for a tall person, but the seats are so narrow. I love EVERYTHING about the Bolt besides the seats. It is really a shame.
I feel ya brother. I'm really surprised that Chevy doesn't appear to have addressed this in the new 2020 model. In fact, most reviews just point out to the little bit of extended range as being the biggest adjustment, which is surprising. And with Tesla being quite a bit more depending on the options, a Kona might be our only hope.

Still, it's only been eight days of ownership for me and I'm loving this car -- maybe loving it a bit more for shorter trips though. :)

·
Registered
856 Posts
I feel ya brother. I'm really surprised that Chevy doesn't appear to have addressed this in the new 2020 model. In fact, most reviews just point out to the little bit of extended range as being the biggest adjustment, which is surprising. And with Tesla being quite a bit more depending on the options, a Kona might be our only hope.

Still, it's only been eight days of ownership for me and I'm loving this car -- maybe loving it a bit more for shorter trips though. :)
The Kona EV and the Model 3 are about the same price. Even with the Kona getting over $5000 more back in federal tax credit. Hyundai has no interest in selling EV's in the US. Even in California they are hard to come by.

·
Registered
340 Posts
The Kona EV and the Model 3 are about the same price. Even with the Kona getting over $5000 more back in federal tax credit. Hyundai has no interest in selling EV's in the US. Even in California they are hard to come by.
Unfortunately you may pay a different "price" down the road if you own a Kona EV:

I agree with many others though: they hit the bullseye with so many things about the Bolt but missed the dart board entirely with the seats! I think they did improve them slightly (I think in 2018+) and I find the leather seats in my 2019 to be very comfortable, but they seem to only "fit" a certain percentage of people. If they widened them by just an inch and added a little bolstering, they'd still be comfortable to me... and a much greater percentage of other people too.

Mike

·
Registered
611 Posts

I'd recommend looking into the various threads around here regarding adding more padding to the seats. It definitely helped me. To put things into perspective, my daily commute is approximately an hour each way, and it hasn't bothered me since I did the modification. Also, since we're almost the same height, I found that adjusting the seat height so that your thighs are parallel to the ground also helps with ergonomics. The Bolt seats seem to be intended to be sat ON, not sat IN.

Re: Kona - there have been recent threads regarding battery explosions (!) that the Koreans are currently investigating. Edit: oops, looks like @MikeyBolt beat me to the warning.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'd recommend looking into the various threads around here regarding adding more padding to the seats. It definitely helped me. To put things into perspective, my daily commute is approximately an hour each way, and it hasn't bothered me since I did the modification. Also, since we're almost the same height, I found that adjusting the seat height so that your thighs are parallel to the ground also helps with ergonomics. The Bolt seats seem to be intended to be sat ON, not sat IN.

Re: Kona - there have been recent threads regarding battery explosions (!) that the Koreans are currently investigating. Edit: oops, looks like @MikeyBolt beat me to the warning.
Yikes, that's terrifying. I'd done a decent amount of comparing between EVs before (happily) settling on the Bolt. And being in Northern CA, I see some for sale at local dealers, though never on the streets that I've noticed. But the price was too much and with the pricing, I figured I'd just go with a Model 3 instead of a Kona EV.

·
Registered
96 Posts
and quite comfortable.

Do what I did, go to your local upholstery shop and lay out $200-300 and enjoy padded seats. Best money I spent on my car, now is is great for longer trips with padding and lumbar support. I added 1-1/2" to the lumbar, 1" to the seat bottom and 1/2" around the shoulder area where there is absolutely NO padding. Now it is my perfect car and quite comfortable.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
and quite comfortable.

Do what I did, go to your local upholstery shop and lay out $200-300 and enjoy padded seats. Best money I spent on my car, now is is great for longer trips with padding and lumbar support. I added 1-1/2" to the lumbar, 1" to the seat bottom and 1/2" around the shoulder area where there is absolutely NO padding. Now it is my perfect car and quite comfortable.
So I was wondering about that — I live in Northern California and temperature is almost never an issue for me but some out-of-towers that come visit complain about the cold during the Winter. So how does extra padding in re-doing the seats or even just throwing a slab of padding on there impact the seat warmers?

·
Registered
6 Posts
After months of watching videos on the Bolt, I decided to take the plunge and bought a 2017 Premier w/34,000 miles on it two days ago from a local Carmax. The bad parts are that I got the car with around 15 miles and only have a 120V option at home, so it's taking forever to get it to a comfortable charge amount. Ultimately, I plan to use the car for client meetings and some moderate road trips of around 200 miles round trip while either charging it at a local charging station or along the way to my meetings. Early impressions after putting 40 or so miles on it:
  • I Love It!!!
  • Great speed/acceleration
  • Tons of cabin space
  • The seats aren't that bad and are fine for me (6', 210)
Great car thus far coming from an '11 Prius Two that broke down repeatedly and cost me a ton in repairs.

Happy to be a part of this community!
Jcray, I'm only a few days familiar with my Bolt. My challenge is to get an older 75 pound dog in there, and to protect from his nails those awfully fragile looking seat backs when I flatten one rear seat. Yes, we'll have to all get along when we ride the Bolt together!

·
Registered
810 Posts
Jcray, I'm only a few days familiar with my Bolt. My challenge is to get an older 75 pound dog in there, and to protect from his nails those awfully fragile looking seat backs when I flatten one rear seat. Yes, we'll have to all get along when we ride the Bolt together!
Well, just don't put the dog in the cargo area. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts