Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I am picking up my 2020 Bolt in a few weeks and have a question about a DC charger.
I will be doing most of my driving around town and wondered if the DC charger is worth the extra charge, no pun intended?
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Welcome! I'm new here myself and most of what I have read indicates folks will say no on the charger. I got one, but what do I know!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Your question is a bit confusing. Are you asking whether you should pay for the "DC Fast Charge" option on the car? I don't have it on my car, but if you search the posts here, I think you will find that a strong majority here would say "Yes, you should get it". And in hindsight, I tend to agree with them.

The option on your car does not get you a DC fast charger that you could use e.g. at home. It gives the car the ability to accept a charge from a public charger. It is very unlikely that anyone would install a DC fast charger at home, or in a private location, because the electrical demands for the fast charger are on par with or exceed the full electrical capacity of most homes.

The DC fast charge capability is most important if you want to take a long "road trip" in your EV, beyond the range of the car. Assuming your car has 250 mile range, you would drive 200-250 miles to a public DC fast charger and add approx 150 miles range to your battery in around 30-45 minutes, allowing you to drive another 150 miles to another DC fast charger. Without DCFC capability in the car, you are limited to adding around 25 miles range per hour of charging, at a "Level 2" charger.

If you don't plan to make long road trips in your Bolt, then it may not be worth paying extra for DCFC capability. But many here have argued that the resale value of your car will be better if it includes the DCFC option. Until now, no one has figured out how to add the DCFC option to a car after it's been manufactured, i.e. it cannot be added after you get the car.

If this explanation is not clear to you, you need to read up on "Level 1", "Level 2", and "DC Fast Charge" for electric vehicles.

The Bolt is delivered only with a Level 1 charger, whether you purchase the DCFC option or not. Most people have added some type of Level 2 charger at their home to enable faster charging (but not nearly as fast as DCFC).

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
wondered if the DC charger is worth the extra charge
For the option on the car? I've never used mine in nearly 3 years of ownership. But want to some day. Some argue that it will help in its resale. I still got the option. As, it gives you more options. One thing I'm interested in, is the potential to have vehicle-to-home (V2H) as kind of a home generator using the Bolt. Have to have the DCFC option to do that.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
The Bolt is delivered only with a Level 1 charger, whether you purchase the DCFC option or not. Most people have added some type of Level 2 charger at their home to enable faster charging (but not nearly as fast as DCFC).
A dirty little secret for the adventurous, the charge cord that came with the Bolt can be used on a 240 volt circuit with an adapter. Been using mine this way since 2017. No need to buy a fancy level 2 when you have an equivalent of half of one that came with the car. Gives nearly 3kW on 240V.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Sounds like OP is talking about the dealer trying to sell him the $599 240v/32a accessory charger (Webasto).

I don’t own one of these vehicles yet, but I’ve learned enough here to know that I would pass on that offer and just do as XJ12 explained he does (above).

As for the DCFC option, it should’ve just been included standard on every vehicle. I get the thinking: “well, not everyone will need it, so we’ll save them $750”

But no problem posting that $875 shipping charge like it’s “nothing”...

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
You need to first make the decision as to whether your EV will be solely a commuting car or, also a travelling car. If the latter, the DCFC option is a must. If not, many people get by on ONLY AC Level 1 charging. For a good review of charging levels see:
for John Kelly's excellent presentation of the four charging levels.

FWIW: I have made over 15 trips of >400 miles in LCTRCBLU, my blue 2017 Bolt EV. DCFC is a must! However, "low" DC Level 1 {24 kW} charging is relatively worthless while all DCFC > 50 kW is useless.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Those who say DCFC is a must are welcome to their opinion. Those who road trip their Bolt wouldn't be without it. We don't and wouldn't/didn't pay a nickel for it. I just checked KBB again and there's no ask for DCFC or added value thereof I could find, so at this point show us some hard data DCFC adds trade-in or resale value.

Back to OP's question; If your use is strictly urban Florida, DCFC is of little value to you, so use that as a negotiating point. There may be some non-DCFC cars languishing in inventory and you can maybe cut a better deal by agreeing to take a car without something you don't need.

jack vines

·
Registered
558 Posts
For nearly the entire month of January,as I searched for a Bolt between South Florida and Maryland,I saw less than a handful w/o that $750 option.

·
Registered
468 Posts
while all DCFC > 50 kW is useless.
I wouldn't quite put it that way. To clarify for the OP (who is new), it is true that our Bolts can charge up to 55kW and anything over that won't/can't be used, but if you connect to a 150kW station, it will supply up to the max 55kW, so there is some usefulness of that charger.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Hello
I am picking up my 2020 Bolt in a few weeks and have a question about a DC charger.
I will be doing most of my driving around town and wondered if the DC charger is worth the extra charge, no pun intended?
Any thoughts?
If you mean the DC fast charge option on your car, you don't need that if you ONLY drive around town. If you EVER take a road trip > ~100 miles then you need the DC fast charge option.
If you mean a charger for your home, those are 240V A/C and will add about 25-30 miles range per hour of charging. The charger that comes with the car will add around 5 miles of range per hour of charging. So if you plug in at night for say, 10 hours, then you'll add around 50 miles range. If that's enough for your around town driving, then you don't need the 240V home charger. As others have said, the supplied charge can be operated at 240V for about 10 miles per hour added.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts