Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone I need some help. I have had some previous poor experiences with ev cars. I want to get the bolt, I love everything about it. My issue is I drive on average 80 miles a day. I plan on getting a level 2 charger at home. On my last ev car it couldn't handle it even with charging at work. I know a lot of the ev aren't meant to be driven that much everyday. Do you guys know if the bolt will be able to handle that? Please advise

·
Registered
862 Posts
80 miles/day = piece of cake
You could charge every other day if you wanted and still have a buffer.

What makes you think they aren't meant to be driven that much? The more you drive, the more you save over the cost of operating an ICE vehicle.

·
Registered
782 Posts
80 miles round trip is a no-brainer in the Bolt - 160 miles round trip would be fine 98% of the time but I'd need to learn more about your daily commute.

80 miles round trip = ~20 kWh of battery use/day, worse case would be 28 kWh of use - Bolt has a 60 kWh battery you'll be fine.

charging will use 10% juice to charge the car so you'll use 22-31 kWh day to charge the car

if you find out your utility bill your worse case daily charing cost will be 31 * $.$$/kWh - probably less.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Hey everyone I need some help. I have had some previous poor experiences with ev cars. I want to get the bolt, I love everything about it. My issue is I drive on average 80 miles a day. I plan on getting a level 2 charger at home. On my last ev car it couldn't handle it even with charging at work. I know a lot of the ev aren't meant to be driven that much everyday. Do you guys know if the bolt will be able to handle that? Please advise
I'm doing 80 miles a day without a problem. I've even done a couple of 100 miles a day, and recently, 2 200 mile days. Bolt handled them all without a problem. I have an L2 charger at home, I only charge at home, and I plugin every night.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
80 miles round trip is a no-brainer in the Bolt - 160 miles round trip would be fine 98% of the time but I'd need to learn more about your daily commute.

80 miles round trip = ~20 kWh of battery use/day, worse case would be 28 kWh of use - Bolt has a 60 kWh battery you'll be fine.

charging will use 10% juice to charge the car so you'll use 22-31 kWh day to charge the car

if you find out your utility bill your worse case daily charing cost will be 31 * $.$$/kWh - probably less.

Thank you everyone for the great info. To give you some more details. I drive 35-40 miles each way about 3 miles of it up hill each way. 7-10 each way street. 25 miles freeway. Total each day 6 miles uphill, 18 street, and 50 freeway. My last effort on a ev was a poor decision on a fiat. Long story short it got lemoned and even though it has a 88 mile range I would have only 30% battery left on a one of these 35-40 mile trips. I would end up having to charge at work just to get home lol.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks for Pioneering with the Fiat

As others have said, you'll be in great shape with a Bolt. On the one hand, I feel like I'm helping to push the curve with my Bolt, but yours was a different kind of brave with the Fiat. I hope to see you around this forum with a new purchase :).

·
Registered
735 Posts
On that note I think if Fiat built an EV it would be great, already they have some great cars, EV market can use some italian engineering.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Ojinxo: NO PROB! I've done a couple of 120-mile days with lots of reserve left at the end of the day,
as in 80 miles of reserve. And I charge only to 88% using 'hilltop reserve'.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thank you everyone for the great info. To give you some more details. I drive 35-40 miles each way about 3 miles of it up hill each way. 7-10 each way street. 25 miles freeway. Total each day 6 miles uphill, 18 street, and 50 freeway. My last effort on a ev was a poor decision on a fiat. Long story short it got lemoned and even though it has a 88 mile range I would have only 30% battery left on a one of these 35-40 mile trips. I would end up having to charge at work just to get home lol.
I'm a newbie to EV .. got my car Sept 1st, already clocked 2000kms on it. I commute to work 60kms one way and lots of driving around in the evening with kids classes. I charge at work alternate days and never had any anxiety or battery concerns so far. I think this is my 2nd best decision i ever made in life. First being getting married to my wife0:)

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I'm still a week-old owner of the Bolt so please take my experience lightly. The reason I purchased it was due to one-off 100 mile commutes turning into a weekly occurrence as well as issues with my 2017 Volt. For this week's 100 mile (round trip) drive which is 95% freeway with ambient in the morning at 50F and evening at 65F with no rain. I ran heat in the morning only (fan set to 2 and HVAC set to 70F) and used only 29 kWh when I got home. The full charge next morning showed a GOM of 210 miles. Following days I was back to a 65 mile commute and I even hypermiled a few times (chose flatter, slower streets vice freeway) with similar weather and HVAC usage as my 100 mile day. On average, I consumed only 15-16 kWh on 65-mile days, which is about what I got on my Volt if I completely hypermiled and didn't used HVAC. My Bolt's GOM end of the week was at 220 miles.

So extrapolate from that what you can. Just like any EV, freeway and heater usage definitely largest factors when it comes to EV range. Coldest weather usage I can see is from a Motor1 review of the Bolt (skip to 5:17):

https://youtu.be/27_m38dk7YM?t=317

They claim to have 180 miles of range with heat and heated seats. I vaguely recall the review was shot in Chicago and given it was posted Apr 2017, probably the tail end of winter in Chicago since I didn't see any snow in the video.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I commute 160 miles a day in the Bolt...and never have any range anxiety..90% highway at 70mph with ac set to 73...days in the morning at 60 deg and afternoon 85 deg for return trip.

The Bolt is not a fiat or a leaf...the battery is so much bigger.

Your commute is a non issue in the Bolt.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
The Bolt has enough data storage so if one is into the esoterica of previous short-range EVs it gives feedback.:
For this week's 100 mile (round trip) drive which is 95% freeway with ambient in the morning at 50F and evening at 65F with no rain. I ran heat in the morning only (fan set to 2 and HVAC set to 70F) and used only 29 kWh when I got home. The full charge next morning showed a GOM of 210 miles. Following days I was back to a 65 mile commute and I even hypermiled a few times (chose flatter, slower streets vice freeway) with similar weather and HVAC usage as my 100 mile day. On average, I consumed only 15-16 kWh on 65-mile days, which is about what I got on my Volt if I completely hypermiled and didn't used HVAC. My Bolt's GOM end of the week was at 220 miles.
My wife wouldn't understand most of quirkySquirt's report above, but she loves her Bolt, because even better for her, the Bolt works brilliantly when driven in an urban environment without a thought or care and just plugged in every once in a while; just as one only needs to fuel an ICE occasionally. We drive our Bolt as fast or faster than the traffic around us, with the temps always adjusted to comfort levels and she'd never tolerate an EV if she had to sweat the small stuff. Your opinions and results may vary.

jack vines

·
Registered
25 Posts
To the OP, it sounds like you’re on the right track now. The Bolt is not a Fiat EV and from a range standpoint, that’s a great thing, haha!!

I run my Bolt like a “regular” car. I run the A/C when it’s hot, the heater when it’s cold, and run it at ~80mph on the commute to/from work, which is 45 miles round-trip. I also run around for errands after work, too.

I only have to plug-in at the end of the week. It’s amazing. Coming from a smart EV, the Bolt has been a revelation. I love this car, haha!!

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Everybody should bear in mind - "Don't buy anything British or Italian with moving parts".
... unless you actually enjoy working on them daily!

I've had two Fiat X1/9's, a TR7, and MG Midget.... none should be considered a daily driver >:)
Sad to say... the TR7 was by far the biggest POS I've ever owned... an absolute nightmare!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts