Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
You've got to have a strong stomach to read anything on that website, but that review was thoughtful; the most easily digestible article I've ever read there. That said, I don't think I learned anything from it considering the excellent info and opinions I get here.

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
You've got to have a strong stomach to read anything on that website, but that review was thoughtful; the most easily digestible article I've ever read there. That said, I don't think I learned anything from it considering the excellent info and opinions I get here.
If you floor it coming out of a turn, it will a little.
That being said, I don't mind a little torque steer.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Per Weber State Professor John Kelly, the Bolt EV has equal-length driveshafts. That means that if someone is experiencing torque steer, it is the result of an alignment or tire issue.
I was thinking of the Weber State video and how the driveshafts are equal length (even same part #) and his comment in there. I've stomped the accelerater to the floor just for fun and never noticed any pulling. I find that site to be very Tesla fanboie in many articles.

·
Registered
295 Posts
This is interesting. My 17 torque steers so much I’m nearly afraid to floor from a stand still. It practically jumps sideways. I’ve never noticed any alignment problems such as tire ware at 20,000mi or a misaligned steering wheel. I’d does, however pull sidesways a bit, but it just seems to very sensitive to road crowning.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I guess CleanTechnica doesn’t have editors. This rambling, unfocused review says a lot more about the dismal state of online journalism than it does about the merits of the Chevy Bolt. I guess websites get what they pay for, and this article was clearly done for free.

Reactions: Dimitrij

·
Registered
631 Posts
Well, at least he warned the reader in the first couple of paragraphs.

My major gripe is his whining about the non-existent torque steer in the Bolt. Something needs adjustment on his car if it has noticeable torque steer, as that is an artifact of different-length half-shafts which the Bolt does not have.

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
I guess CleanTechnica doesn’t have editors. This rambling, unfocused review says a lot more about the dismal state of online journalism than it does about the merits of the Chevy Bolt. I guess websites get what they pay for, and this article was clearly done for free.
cleantechnica and journalistic professionalism and integrity don't usually mix.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
...and what’s with the long, pointless digression that rehashes the EV1 history? Or whining about the short beeps the Bolt emits when you leave the keyfob in the car?

Rubbish.

Reactions: gern_blanston

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
It doesn't; I can't remember when I last had a FWD car that did.
Chevy Spark EV. Very noticeable under heavy accel, especially if powering out of a turn.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Chevy Spark EV. Very noticeable under heavy accel, especially if powering out of a turn.

I think the winner of the Ridiculous Torque Steer Award would go to the 1997 PbA EV-1. It was freaking unsafe when you floored it, which was why I did it at every opportunity...>:)
Have I mentioned that I went through four sets of motor mounts?

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
FWIW, I've owned and driven FWD cars since 1973 and yes, torque steer was/is a thing on many of them; true torque steer is when a FWD car pulls to one side when given hard straight line acceleration on a flat, level road when both tires have equal traction.

And yes, the Bolt does feel as if it may torque steer under certain circumstances. However, what I've noticed is the Bolt platform seems incredibly stiff and the suspension has relatively short travel. The result seems to be if there's turning and/or uneven road surface, the front drive wheels can be unevenly loaded. Even with equal length half shafts, unequal loading or road surfaces which change coefficient of friction from side to side, the darting the Bolt occasionally evidences might be more correctly called "traction steering."

jack vines

1 - 20 of 56 Posts