Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a new Bolt a few months ago and waited to post a review. It's a great car, lots of room and fun to drive. Getting roughly 7 km per kwh on the highway at 105 to 110 kph, city close 8 per kwh. Road trips are stressless and relaxing, we have plenty of 400 volt DC chargers, every 100km on highways. Winter is a few months away, will see what kind of range it gets with snow tires and cold weather. One caveat my previous car a 2018 Volt, to me the Volt stuck to the road and drove a bit better. I think that was due to being lower and planted to the ground. Wife loves it so it's happy wife happy life and a happy new Bolt owner.
DSC02535.jpg

·
Registered
2018 Bolt EV Premier Nightfall Gray
392 Posts
Welcome, fine looking rig you've got there!

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
One caveat my previous car a 2018 Volt, to me the Volt stuck to the road and drove a bit better. I think that was due to being lower and planted to the ground.
The position of one's inner ear has much to do with the perception of handling. The Volt's lower and rearward seating makes some of the difference in feel.

FWIW, I own a 1963 Studebaker Avanti. It had fairly upright seating without enough rearward travel. As an experiment, I bought a pair of wrecking yard seats from a new Japanese luxury car. They are heated leather with six-way power adjustment. With the seats adjusted well to the rear and the seatback somewhat reclined, the old Avanti felt like a completely different car.

jack vines

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The position of one's inner ear has much to do with the perception of handling. The Volt's lower and rearward seating makes some of the difference in feel.

FWIW, I own a 1963 Studebaker Avanti. It had fairly upright seating without enough rearward travel. As an experiment, I bought a pair of wrecking yard seats from a new Japanese luxury car. They are heated leather with six-way power adjustment. With the seats adjusted well to the rear and the seatback somewhat reclined, the old Avanti felt like a completely different car.

jack vines
Studebaker Avanti nice care, I get what you are saying about perception and seat adjustment. I do drive quite upright in the Bolt, I enjoy the upright driving position, that’s why I changed from Volt to Bolt. But I don’t think I will rip out the driver seat, the wife would probably rip my balls off.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Congrats! I am a new Bolt owner also, test drove Volts but never got one.
Very happy with my Bolt. Know 2 people with Bolts that drive year round including 1 who does long distance commutes.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Congrats! I am a new Bolt owner also, test drove Volts but never got one.
Very happy with my Bolt. Know 2 people with Bolts that drive year round including 1 who does long distance commutes.
Thanks, Volt was a sweet car but the fact it was low, getting in and out was sometimes a bit of a pain. I don regret one bit the choice I made, very please...cheers

·
Registered
649 Posts
I had my Volt 2 years before getting the Bolt. I think the majority of the handling feel is just that: feel/perception because you are sitting higher. Pretty sure even though the Bolt sits higher, the center of gravity is about the same as the Volt. Most of the Bolt's limitations are due to tires but the Volt had LRR tires too and if you really pay attention, you might find that the Bolt is actually handling better than your perception. Without an ICE engine in the front, it is highly maneuverable and the body roll is pretty well contained. My biggest gripe is that the tires give up too early.

Mike

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had my Volt 2 years before getting the Bolt. I think the majority of the handling feel is just that: feel/perception because you are sitting higher. Pretty sure even though the Bolt sits higher, the center of gravity is about the same as the Volt. Most of the Bolt's limitations are due to tires but the Volt had LRR tires too and if you really pay attention, you might find that the Bolt is actually handling better than your perception. Without an ICE engine in the front, it is highly maneuverable and the body roll is pretty well contained. My biggest gripe is that the tires give up too early.

Mike
Yeah, the tires might be the weak link, wish they had put independent rear suspension on the car, GM nickel and dimed the car in certain areas...still a great car.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Yeah, the tires might be the weak link, wish they had put independent rear suspension on the car, GM nickel and dimed the car in certain areas...still a great car.
People sometimes get hung up on buzz words without really considering the full design. I don't really hear many people complaining that the Civic Type R has a torsion beam rear suspension. ;)

Mike

·
Registered
16 Posts
I find the car easy to get in and out of. Volt was too low for me, same with Tesla S I tested.
rear suspension is fine for me, I live in area where roads could be better, find the ride fine. I tested a Kona Electric which is different suspension, no real difference.
michelin tires I am happy with, they are built for ‘mileage’ with decent traction. Just picked up michelin x-ice snow tires to mount for winter (when it gets closer)

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
People sometimes get hung up on buzz words without really considering the full design. I don't really hear many people complaining that the Civic Type R has a torsion beam rear suspension. ;)
Yeah, the 2002 Toyota Sienna I was driving before my Bolt had a torsion beam rear suspension.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Congrats! I went from a 2013 Volt to a 2017 Bolt - I do agree, the Volt more planted simply because it was lower to the ground. But I do prefer the ingress/egress, visibility, backseat room, cargo room and range(!!!) of the Bolt. Enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I find the car easy to get in and out of. Volt was too low for me, same with Tesla S I tested.
rear suspension is fine for me, I live in area where roads could be better, find the ride fine. I tested a Kona Electric which is different suspension, no real difference.
michelin tires I am happy with, they are built for ‘mileage’ with decent traction. Just picked up michelin x-ice snow tires to mount for winter (when it gets closer)
Good choice on your winters, I used x-ice for 3 winters on the Volt, I felt safe. I hope to get another Two winters when I put them on my Bolt. But remember when using winters and cold weather, I live in Ottawa, I was losing 25 to 35% range on the Volt. That’s Dec. to March, plan ahead when heading out on a road trip. Why did you chose the Bolt over the Kona by the way?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Bolt was far more roomy and comfortable for me. Back seat is basically non-existent on Kona. I don’t use it but more room in case I take a passenger. Back seat folded down gave massive room over Kona. It was definitely an interesting car but battery pack on Hyundai is a ’molded’ battery as opposed to flat floor.

‘Hyundai is new to the game and I don’t like being on the bleeding edge of technology. Bolt has been out for years with minor issues that I see. I got a terrific deal on a lightly used 2019 Bolt where there are no used Kona available.

bolt was designed from start to be electric, Kona is gas vehicle converted..

·
Registered
2018 Bolt EV Premier Nightfall Gray
392 Posts
Bolt has been out for years with minor issues that I see.
GM learned from EV1 and Volt, Volt in particular. Many Bolt components are similar to Volt, so you could say Bolt was a 2nd gen iteration of Volt is some ways.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts