Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hm... would make a lot of sense to buy the house with Tesla solar roof! Overbuild the capacity to allow 2 EVs per home.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I'm just beginning to research solar. The first site I came across on this subject shows Tesla has 1.7 stars out of 5 and the reviews were pretty consistently negative. The site shows Tesla as the 2nd most expensive out of 14 companies.

Are Tesla panels the best solar panels to buy? | SolarReviews
This is probably from the old solar city reviews when they ripped off customers with leases. Tesla solar is actually one of the cheapest right now and is very upfront with their costs. When I got a quote they told me $10,000 over the best quote I got, but they said they will price match. Now they have a great online price and you don't need to haggle. I much prefer that model.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I can't speak to Tesla solar panel systems. I totally second the thought that anyone considering solar consider the proportion of electric energy consumed by EVs.
Our two EVs consume about 1/4 of our electricity. Thus our solar panel installation was upsized from about 34 panels to 45. In Texas where net-metering is based on contracts with commercial electric providers, it is pretty critical to come close to providing 100% of your electric power with new solar.

·
Registered
373 Posts
This is probably from the old solar city reviews when they ripped off customers with leases. Tesla solar is actually one of the cheapest right now and is very upfront with their costs. When I got a quote they told me $10,000 over the best quote I got, but they said they will price match. Now they have a great online price and you don't need to haggle. I much prefer that model.
Actually the "old solar city" got good reviews for service. Unfortunately they did not understand debt and cash flow. It was after Tesla acquired/rescued them that the service when to crap. The Solar City leases were another problem. For some of our neighbors the leases have made their homes very difficult to sell. They have had to make some major price reductions to get the sales to close.

I hear Tesla is now very cost competitive, but I still see a lot of complaints on systems that fail and don't get fixed for many months. Today I tried to get some pricing on line from Tesla and was not able to. If someone has a working link for pricing I would like to see it.

I currently have a solar system with Tesla batteries scheduled for May installation by a local installer. Based on the reviews I have seen, I would not use Tesla as an installer until they have fixed their service problems - and this will probably take a year or more.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I would check with well rated and reviewed local solar installers before going w/a national installer where you are just an account number. It's a great feeling when the owner volunteers his personal cell number so if you have any questions or concerns before and during the install you speak with the boss directly. Going with a national company- best you'll probably get is the email address of some "project manager" who may or may not email you back which is less than ideal on a complicated project like a solar system install that is supposed to last 25 yrs.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
The 4 most recent reviews (from this year) of Tesla give 1 star ratings and scathing reviews.

I might be interested if they had reasonably priced full solar tiles. If you can save the cost of needing a traditional roof, perhaps solar tiles become cost competitive. I loath asphalt shingle roofs and don't know why in all the decades of technological progress, that's still the best bang for the buck. Tar, rocks and fiberglass, very advanced.

My parents need a new roof, and the federal tax credit allows that cost to be included in a PV installation. I'll be needing a new roof within the next 5 years.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I would check with well rated and reviewed local solar installers before going w/a national installer where you are just an account number. It's a great feeling when the owner volunteers his personal cell number so if you have any questions or concerns before and during the install you speak with the boss directly. Going with a national company- best you'll probably get is the email address of some "project manager" who may or may not email you back which is less than ideal on a complicated project like a solar system install that is supposed to last 25 yrs.
This is what I did. They have been in business for over 15 years with a good track record.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's why I recommend people let the power company deploy utility solar.

However, if I were to buy a new build, I would lean toward Tesla solar roof because the additional cost is so minimal, so ROI is much much faster.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
However, if I were to buy a new build, I would lean toward Tesla solar roof because the additional cost is so minimal, so ROI is much much faster.
Where are you getting the price comparison? The source I looked at said Tesla was the 2nd highest price out of 14. ROI does not mean what you think it means. Break even seems to be what you're talking about.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Where are you getting the price comparison? The source I looked at said Tesla was the 2nd highest price out of 14. ROI does not mean what you think it means. Break even seems to be what you're talking about.
Well, let me rephrase, if comparing a new build house with Tesla solar roof vs a new build with conventional roof and the price was not much different (it should be cheaper as solar roof install would be less labor than installing a roof then installing a solar system). But what am I thinking, of course the builder will charge an outrageous price even though they are saving in cost. :)

·
Registered
335 Posts
I ask again about the comparisons. I've seen numerous folks on TMC be shocked at how high Tesla's solar tiles are vs. a roof + panels on top.

I haven't had a chance to peek at Solarglass Roof - V3 - any customers? but when I skimmed it about a month ago, the thread in terms of how quickly/slowly the process went and Tesla's responses seemed like a joke. Seemed like it wasn't a smooth running operation at all.

Got my Tesla solar tiles installation proposal and... was an example of a proposal that guy was unhappy with. Here are some other numbers:
Unfortunately (?), I don't own the house I live at so I've never priced solar nor roofs.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Here's a link to the panel pricing.
For a Medium sized system that is capable of 7.6 kW, it's $8,820 including incentives in New York.
For solarglass shingles, for an average 2,000 sf roof with 10kW of solar, it's $33,950 including incentives compared to $43,790 for a premium roof + solar panels.
That's assuming $23,840 is the cost of the roof so if a typical asphalt shingle roof is more than $10k less expensive, the panels would be cheaper than the solarglass.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Here's a link to the panel pricing.
For a Medium sized system that is capable of 7.6 kW, it's $8,820 including incentives in New York.
For solarglass shingles, for an average 2,000 sf roof with 10kW of solar, it's $33,950 including incentives compared to $43,790 for a premium roof + solar panels.
That's assuming $23,840 is the cost of the roof so if a typical asphalt shingle roof is more than $10k less expensive, the panels would be cheaper than the solarglass.
I was going to say there are no solar shingle options at the moment since the Tesla site has no hyperlinks to it from their webpage, but you found the URL.

I had a roof tear off and laminated asphalt shingles installed 2 years ago on my rental house, and it was $10k.

I'd be willing to pay a bit more for solar shingles if they can last 50 years (double asphalt shingles). $34,000 is in the ballpark of what I'd consider.

I'm assuming the solar shingles would qualify for the federal tax credit. If so, does the (with incentives) price factor that in? Kinda pointless to quote something after incentives since every situation is different.

I really despise the Tesla webpage because it contains zero information about anything. It's designed like an iPhone to allow the most inept to be able to mash a button to spend money, but provide little else as far as information/features. What is the warranty? Can you walk on the roof? What size hail can it withstand? How much wind? What is the expected lifetime? What is the maintenance? ...not to mention all the PV specific info that's missing.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I was going to say there are no solar shingle options at the moment since the Tesla site has no hyperlinks to it from their webpage, but you found the URL.

I had a roof tear off and laminated asphalt shingles installed 2 years ago on my rental house, and it was $10k.

I'd be willing to pay a bit more for solar shingles if they can last 50 years (double asphalt shingles). $34,000 is in the ballpark of what I'd consider.

I'm assuming the solar shingles would qualify for the federal tax credit. If so, does the (with incentives) price factor that in? Kinda pointless to quote something after incentives since every situation is different.

I really despise the Tesla webpage because it contains zero information about anything. It's designed like an iPhone to allow the most inept to be able to mash a button to spend money, but provide little else as far as information/features. What is the warranty? Can you walk on the roof? What size hail can it withstand? How much wind? What is the expected lifetime? What is the maintenance? ...not to mention all the PV specific info that's missing.
Click the down arrow and scroll down on the web page.
Tesla roof tiles specs.JPG

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Yes, we have to keep in mid.. Tesla will install their very expensive "Solarglass Roof" which replaces your existing shingles, and becomes your new roof or they can install conventional solar panels on top of your existing roof/shingles. Tow different products with hugely different pricing.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I really despise the Tesla webpage because it contains zero information about anything. It's designed like an iPhone to allow the most inept to be able to mash a button to spend money, but provide little else as far as information/features.
That's how you purchase one of their $50K + vehicles... press the "Order Now" button. You get a very limited set of option choices and press the button. The research is up to you when you purchase one of their products be it a car or solar roof.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Thanks for the link. I have been looking for it. For fun, I just did an estimate for solar roof with 2 powerwalls for my house. The pre incentive cost was $61,315 (not including local taxes). However I cannot use the solar roof as I have a "flat" roof, ie less that 2/12 pitch.

For about the same generation capability as the solar roof system, I will have a standard system installed by a local company in May (with 2 powerwalls) for $45,781 including local taxes. My system will also include an new load box and soft start to allow the system to power my whole house including the HVAC. For a complete re roof of my house it would be about $13.5k. Thus a total cost of $59,280.

If I add the cost of local taxes and an estimate of the power box mods, etc. I think the solar roof would be about $67,000. Or about $8k more than the conventional method. This is less than I expected.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
To answer my own question about walking on the solar tiles:

"Yes, you can walk on the Tesla Solarglass roof. In stilettos, if you want," - Musk

Click the down arrow and scroll down on the web page. View attachment 28413
I clicked every clickable thing I could find on their page and didn't see this down arrow. Same story on their conventional solar panel website; I clicked every clickable item and couldn't navigate to anything related to solar shingles.

You're page navigation skills exceed mine it seems.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts