Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Dyefrog, there are a couple of web pages for the Tesla solar. The one you posted above has the down arrow. The one below does not. Same for the conventional solar. Very confusing. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Looks like ordering site is up

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Just did a price compare with Elon's "Solar Roof" and my conventional solar panels plus the cost of my new asphalt roof under the panels. Amazingly, the "Solar Roof" only came in at almost the same price as my conventional setup.

But, as always the devil is in the details...
The "Solar Roof" for my 2,000 SqFt roof is estimated at 10kW
My conventional system with 43 LG panels is rated at 14.6kW.

IMO, for my home- the conventional solar panel system is a better value with almost 50% better output than the "Solar Roof".

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
OK, so not there yet. Just for wealthier home owners who want the bragging rights, for now.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Having had a roof replaced once already (with 50-year dimensional asphalt tiles), and having a skylight that has leaked, and having a pile of spare shingles in the shed to deal easily with any leak/damage issues, I couldn't recommend having an entire roof made of experimental panels at this time, unless one is made of money. Also, technology is still changing. I had 15 panels totaling 3.0 kW installed in 2013, whereas after only 7 years my friends are installing 6.0 kW systems for the same size at 1/3 the cost per kW. As an aside, based on annual average generation, my system could fully charge my Bolt 90 times per year (20,000 miles per year).

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
OK, so not there yet. Just for wealthier home owners who want the bragging rights, for now.
Why would you say that when I just did a side-by-side direct compare of my 2019 conventional install vs. Elon's Sloar Roof and they came out within a few hundred dollars (roughly $33K each) of each other?

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Why would you say that when I just did a side-by-side direct compare of my 2019 conventional install vs. Elon's Sloar Roof and they came out within a few hundred dollars (roughly $33K each) of each other?
Your post indicated that your estimate is that the cost is the same between the solar roof and your conventional system - but your system makes about 50% more kW.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Your post indicated that your estimate is that the cost is the same between the solar roof and your conventional system - but your system makes about 50% more kW.
Right, but not everyone needs as much energy production as I do. I sized my system to power my Bolt and even a second EV someday as one of my daughters is set on getting a Model 3. Without the two EV's I could have met my demand with Tesla's 10kW system and had a really nice glass roof.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
Right, but not everyone needs as much energy production as I do. I sized my system to power my Bolt and even a second EV someday as one of my daughters is set on getting a Model 3. Without the two EV's I could have met my demand with Tesla's 10kW system and had a really nice glass roof.
I pass no judgement, but it is odd that a daughter would purchase a $40k vehicle before moving out of the house.

If I understand the industry correctly, a 10kW system is the same quantity of PV regardless of location, right? It represents the theoretical maximum at noon, with the sun directly above, on a sunny day?

I estimated my electricity consumption today at 7,000 kWh per year with zero EVs and all gas appliances.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts