Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can confirm buybacks are still happening.

I first got word that my '19 Bolt buyback was approved on 7/30 and that I'd hear from a buyback rep. I was all set with a dealership holding a '22 EUV Launch Edition for me. Well, I finally heard from the buyback rep today. As expected, a Bolt swap is no longer an option. So it's time to decide between waiting for the recall, a gas vehicle swap, or straight buyback. I'm pretty sure I don't want a gas vehicle. The charging guidance is really tough for my driving habits and who knows how long that would take? So that has me leaning towards the straight buyback.

I don't trust buying another EV with an LG battery. I'd rather not pay Tesla prices (without the tax incentive). And I don't want a car with lesser range. So I think that leaves the Kia Niro EV as one of my last remaining options based on current availability. I test drove one Saturday. I was pleasantly surprised, but it didn't blow me away. I'd sure miss the surround camera and the one-pedal driving experience of the Bolt.

Any other options you're considering... now or in the near future?

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I have been researching new EV's with this news. My plans were to wait for the Cybertruck, I had one of the first 700 orders when they opened up. However, it looks like that may be a few years away. Tesla really made companies like GM rush to EV's and if these battery issues continue, Tesla will continue to pull ahead in reputation and financial profit.

If I was forced to buy another car right now I don't know what I would do. I have a 2013 Tesla Model S with 130,000 miles on it that is being repaired with a drive unit. My 8 year warranty for battery/drive unit is now gone... I will need a car that is able to take 350 to 400 mile one way trips in case my Model S has issues. At this point I need a reliable vehicle to do that with preferably 300 miles of range. I have done the trips in my Bolt, but it isn't fun with slow DC fast charging. The bigger battery replacement interests me a lot though.

Even though they use LG batteries, I may go with the Mustang Mach-E California Rt 1 Edition. It has the range and qualifies for well over $10,000 in rebates/credits in my area. The choices are limited right now and will continue to get worse. If people were planning on buying the Bolt, they might buy a Mach-E now. This will kill the available supply of EV's in certain areas, especially in California. I will never own an ICE car ever again though. If I have to I will get myself on a list for a Model 3 or Y. I should just order a Y right now with a $250 deposit. Worse that happens I am out $250 with a backup plan.

·
Registered
440 Posts

I first got word that my '19 Bolt buyback was approved on 7/30 and that I'd hear from a buyback rep. I was all set with a dealership holding a '22 EUV Launch Edition for me. Well, I finally heard from the buyback rep today. As expected, a Bolt swap is no longer an option. So it's time to decide between waiting for the recall, a gas vehicle swap, or straight buyback. I'm pretty sure I don't want a gas vehicle. The charging guidance is really tough for my driving habits and who knows how long that would take? So that has me leaning towards the straight buyback.

I don't trust buying another EV with an LG battery. I'd rather not pay Tesla prices (without the tax incentive). And I don't want a car with lesser range. So I think that leaves the Kia Niro EV as one of my last remaining options based on current availability. I test drove one Saturday. I was pleasantly surprised, but it didn't blow me away. I'd sure miss the surround camera and the one-pedal driving experience of the Bolt.

I have both a Rivian R1T LE and a Hummer EV E1 pre-ordered. When I first placed those orders, I was contemplating holding on to my Bolt after finalizing the purchase of the one I like better, but I don't plan on doing that now. If GM will actually give me MSRP back on the Bolt, I might consider following through on the Hummer purchase. It's going to depend on which vehicle is actually able to hit my driveway first. But if they don't, then I likely won't be purchasing another GM vehicle for years.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV LT
17 Posts
When did you start the process? I started the process in VA July 26th and have heard radio silence.

Depending on what GM does I’ll either stay with GM or move on. I was originally hoping for a 22 EUV with Super Cruise but that is off the table now. I am hoping for a quick resolution.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I believe I started the process on 7/13. So the initial review went relatively quickly with my approval on 7/30. But I didn't hear from the buyback representative until yesterday. So far, she's been super responsive with several emails back and forth yesterday. I feel like I'm finally making progress. The concierge kept in touch too, but it would typically take several days or a week to get replies.

Right now I'm probably leaning towards straight buyback, then getting a 2021 Niro EV or waiting it out a bit for the 2022 options (probably Hyundai, Toyota, or Kia).

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've been liking the Hyundai Ionic 5, but all pre-sale reservations have been taken up already.
Yep, that one's definitely on my radar. So rather than rush into the 2021 Niro EV now in a seller's market, I may try to be patient and see what the Ioniq 5 and other options look like and cost.

·
Premium Member
2,374 Posts
When did you start the process? I started the process in VA July 26th and have heard radio silence.

Depending on what GM does I’ll either stay with GM or move on. I was originally hoping for a 22 EUV with Super Cruise but that is off the table now. I am hoping for a quick resolution.
I started my buyback February 8th. Yes, over 6 months ago. I've run into every hurdle you can think of, and am now in the same exact situation as OP.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Yep, that one's definitely on my radar. So rather than rush into the 2021 Niro EV now in a seller's market, I may try to be patient and see what the Ioniq 5 and other options look like and cost.
I see they offer two years of free unlimited charging at all EA stations (within 30 minute sessions), and the 77.5 kWh battery goes from 10% to 80% in around 18 minutes.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
My buyback request started 7/15. Received verbal approval on 8/11. Like the OP, I had originally had an EUV swap in mind with a VIN # sent to GM and a dealer willing to host the swap. Since then, no contact from the buyback department yet as of 8/25, just occasional emails from the concierge saying, "No word yet. Wait for the repurchasing dept. to contact you." Glad to hear that someone recently moved forward in the process.

I ordered a long range Tesla Model 3 on 8/19 with an expected delivery window of November. Within a day, the expected delivery window was changed to 10/15-11/14. When I checked the Tesla ordering website yesterday, the delivery window moved up to 9/10-9/30 which starts, um, in two weeks. I either ordered a common configuration that they already had scheduled for manufacturing or there was an order cancellation of my exact configuration. At this rate, there is no way I expect the buyback to be complete by then, considering how slow the repurchasing department at GM is moving these days. It's not a problem for me from a financial standpoint but it would be nice to have that GM cash on-hand when I buy the Model 3 rather than me having to pull the money from not-as-liquid resources and replacing it later.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
For me the Ionic 5 looks great on paper but the styling is a bit too "retro futuristic" for me. They're trying a bit too hard to look different IMHO, like the recent Prius trend toward looking like a spaceship. When I was looking for a hybrid in 2020, I went with the Hyundai Ionic hybrid rather than the Prius because the Ionic looks, ironically in this context, like a normal car (among other reasons.) Plus, there is no pricing for the Ionic 5.I think it's going to be in the Model 3/Y/Mach-e price range, rather than the Bolt/Kona/Niro price range. We need more $30k EVs, not $50k+ ones if there is to be real market adoption of EVs.

I thought about the Niro EV but there are no Kia dealerships within a 5 hour round trip of me with one available for a test drive. Plus, my wife really wants the 340+ mile range of the Model 3 with the Supercharging network so we can have a real roadtripping EV. I've done some roadtrips in the Bolt and while its possible, it's a PITA to have to wait for the slow DCFC or having that anxiety when you get to a DCFC charger only to find out it's out of order. I feel slightly "dirty" buying a Tesla as I purposely bought two Bolts to help bolster the non-Tesla EV market and here I am "going to the darkside" a few years later. But GM forced my hand. With range, charging capability, and current availability being my priority (along with not having LG batteries,) Telsa hits the mark at this particular moment in time.

·
Registered
61 Posts
When you are offered a buyback, are they paying current KBB, payoff of loan, MSRP, or refund of purchase price? This would have a huge impact in my decision to go that route.

There are few EV options in Ohio since we aren't a CARB state so Kia and Hundai are not options - no local dealer support. Don't care for Tesla interior design ("Hey buddy, you left your iPad stuck to the dashboard!" and the Model 3 sits too low to comfortably get in and out - other models are too expensive. This leaves me with the Mustang Mach-e which I have driven and liked (though it still has an iPad stuck to the dash), but it is out of reach in a fiscally responsible way - MSRP as available here is over $50k and dealers are marking them up above that. Not interested in another Leaf, we just turned our 2017 over to the teen driver in the family for school commuting.

I love driving electric - it's been years since I got hypothermia pumping gas in the dead of winter - but my options are limited here. But if I can get a profitable buyback that Mach-e is suddenly a tad more doable.

If you don't mind sharing, what offers have been made?

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
When you are offered a buyback, are they paying current KBB, payoff of loan, MSRP, or refund of purchase price? This would have a huge impact in my decision to go that route.

There are few EV options in Ohio since we aren't a CARB state so Kia and Hundai are not options - no local dealer support. Don't care for Tesla interior design ("Hey buddy, you left your iPad stuck to the dashboard!" and the Model 3 sits too low to comfortably get in and out - other models are too expensive. This leaves me with the Mustang Mach-e which I have driven and liked (though it still has an iPad stuck to the dash), but it is out of reach in a fiscally responsible way - MSRP as available here is over $50k and dealers are marking them up above that. Not interested in another Leaf, we just turned our 2017 over to the teen driver in the family for school commuting.

I love driving electric - it's been years since I got hypothermia pumping gas in the dead of winter - but my options are limited here. But if I can get a profitable buyback that Mach-e is suddenly a tad more doable.

It's off of your purchase price if you're doing a straight buyback, and the amount they dock varies according to your state's lemon laws vis a vis your current mileage.

I used to live in Ohio and can totally relate on the topic of topping up in the middle of a snowstorm or subzero temps.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Yeah, my understanding is purchase price minus usage deduction. I was quoted 15% deduction initially. Assume it'll still be the same. I'll report back when I get my offer.

Mach-E = LG batteries. No thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have been researching new EV's with this news. My plans were to wait for the Cybertruck, I had one of the first 700 orders when they opened up. However, it looks like that may be a few years away. Tesla really made companies like GM rush to EV's and if these battery issues continue, Tesla will continue to pull ahead in reputation and financial profit.

If I was forced to buy another car right now I don't know what I would do. I have a 2013 Tesla Model S with 130,000 miles on it that is being repaired with a drive unit. My 8 year warranty for battery/drive unit is now gone... I will need a car that is able to take 350 to 400 mile one way trips in case my Model S has issues. At this point I need a reliable vehicle to do that with preferably 300 miles of range. I have done the trips in my Bolt, but it isn't fun with slow DC fast charging. The bigger battery replacement interests me a lot though.

Even though they use LG batteries, I may go with the Mustang Mach-E California Rt 1 Edition. It has the range and qualifies for well over $10,000 in rebates/credits in my area. The choices are limited right now and will continue to get worse. If people were planning on buying the Bolt, they might buy a Mach-E now. This will kill the available supply of EV's in certain areas, especially in California. I will never own an ICE car ever again though. If I have to I will get myself on a list for a Model 3 or Y. I should just order a Y right now with a $250 deposit. Worse that happens I am out $250 with a backup plan.
We test drove the Mach-E 2 weeks ago. Heard that they are 4-6 months out for delivery. Salesman told us a year.

·
Registered
2020 Slate Gray Premier
25 Posts

Has anyone in New Mexico started the buyback process?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It took exactly eight weeks start to finish, but my rollercoaster ride is now over. I completed the straight buyback of my '19 Bolt yesterday. When it's all said and done, I drove the Bolt for almost 3 years and came out ahead in the end. I probably could've made even more of a profit with an MSRP swap then reselling it right away, but this was simpler and safer knowing exactly what I was getting. Less than an hour after leaving the Chevy dealership, I drove my new Model 3 off the Tesla lot. The timing worked out perfectly.

I have to chuckle looking back at my original post in this thread when I said I don't want to pay Tesla prices. The difference between the buyback and the Tesla price wasn't as much as I thought, and in my opinion the Model 3 completely blows away every other option available right now at that price point. I didn't want to go back to an ICE car, the Niro EV was ok but I didn't love it, I wasn't going to gamble with an LG battery in the ID.4, and other vehicles just didn't have the range or price I was looking for. I originally planned to wait and explore other options - 2022 Kona Electric, Ioniq 5, Ariya, EV6. But once I test drove the Model 3, it was hard to imagine any of those vehicles competing with the Model 3 in terms of features and bang for the buck. And with the chip shortage, there could be a substantial wait for some of those options. Similarly, when I bought the Bolt in late 2018, I thought about waiting to see the Hyundai Kona Electric. But again, there was no telling when that would happen and I didn't want to wait too long and miss out on federal and state tax incentives.

It's been a crazy few months, but I can definitely look back now and see this as a blessing in disguise. Hope the rollercoaster ride goes as smoothly as possible for everyone else in my shoes! Best of luck to you all and be safe!!

·
Premium Member
2,374 Posts
It took exactly eight weeks start to finish, but my rollercoaster ride is now over. I completed the straight buyback of my '19 Bolt yesterday. When it's all said and done, I drove the Bolt for almost 3 years and came out ahead in the end. I probably could've made even more of a profit with an MSRP swap then reselling it right away, but this was simpler and safer knowing exactly what I was getting. Less than an hour after leaving the Chevy dealership, I drove my new Model 3 off the Tesla lot. The timing worked out perfectly.

I have to chuckle looking back at my original post in this thread when I said I don't want to pay Tesla prices. The difference between the buyback and the Tesla price wasn't as much as I thought, and in my opinion the Model 3 completely blows away every other option available right now at that price point. I didn't want to go back to an ICE car, the Niro EV was ok but I didn't love it, I wasn't going to gamble with an LG battery in the ID.4, and other vehicles just didn't have the range or price I was looking for. I originally planned to wait and explore other options - 2022 Kona Electric, Ioniq 5, Ariya, EV6. But once I test drove the Model 3, it was hard to imagine any of those vehicles competing with the Model 3 in terms of features and bang for the buck. And with the chip shortage, there could be a substantial wait for some of those options. Similarly, when I bought the Bolt in late 2018, I thought about waiting to see the Hyundai Kona Electric. But again, there was no telling when that would happen and I didn't want to wait too long and miss out on federal and state tax incentives.

It's been a crazy few months, but I can definitely look back now and see this as a blessing in disguise. Hope the rollercoaster ride goes as smoothly as possible for everyone else in my shoes! Best of luck to you all and be safe!!
Congrats! Especially on the timing of your buyback closing and Model 3 pickup working out perfectly. I took delivery of a SR+ Model 3 in late July, and just this past weekend completed the MSRP swap for my Bolt (for a Blazer). First payment for the SR+ wasn't due until a few days ago, so while I did have to pay a little extra to insure an extra car and had 1 set of overlapping payments, in the end it'll be worth it. Especially assuming I can sell the Blazer for just a few thousand off MSRP once the title comes in.

·
Registered
447 Posts

I was lucky enough to have a '22 EUV waiting for me at the dealership in mid June when my buyback check arrived. It wasn't a swap. I could have just walked out with the check. But I wanted another '22 Bolt, and their one EUV arrived a few days ahead of the one EV they had ordered. So I took the EUV.

I don't regret it at all. Nothing else of interest was available, and I needed an E-car right now.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Congrats! Especially on the timing of your buyback closing and Model 3 pickup working out perfectly.
Yes, that worked out beautifully. I didn't expect a Model 3 until January, but I start checking existing inventory and this one appeared on Thursday. Turns out it was already at the Tesla Dealership near me. They wanted me to pick it up on Friday, but since my buyback packet & check were due to arrive on Saturday, I wanted to wait just to make certain there weren't any unexpected hiccups with the Bolt.

I was lucky enough to have a '22 EUV waiting for me at the dealership in mid June when my buyback check arrived. It wasn't a swap. I could have just walked out with the check. But I wanted another '22 Bolt, and their one EUV arrived a few days ahead of the one EV they had ordered. So I took the EUV.
I originally had an MSRP Swap lined up for a Launch Edition EUV. A dealership was already holding it for me and I had an appointment to test drive it on 8/21. Then the expanded recall and stop sale was announced the day before. If it would've happened a little quicker, I'd be driving one now too.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts