Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've had our new 2017 Bolt EV for a week and finally fully charged it. I was disappointed that it only showed 180 miles once it was fully charged. Could something be wrong with the batteries?

·
Registered
573 Posts
I would check to see if it's programmed for "Hill top charge", which I think is 80%. But even with that, my Bolt charges to about 210 miles. I would get it back to the dealer asap. Don't accept any B.S. from them. Expect about 240 miles capacity.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Have you not done many miles? Maybe the sales staff was putting on some hard miles from test drives? These cars basically provide Fiesta ST or Golf GTI levels of performance.. I wouldn't doubt it. I'd just assumed mine was put through that.

Remember, its just an estimate of range based on history. Not necessarily the reality of the true range.

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
Estimated range also depends on your driving habits. If you consistently drive at very high speeds or use the heater a lot (although that seems unlikely in the summer) then you're not going to get a as much range out of the car as if you drive it slower and without using heat.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Your car is probably fine, the mileage is based on driving habits and environmental factors. I get about 180 to 200 miles on a charge, but I drive close to 75 mph and also blast my air conditioner in this 100 plus heat we been having. What have your driving habits been like? If you drive in sport mode and are having fun driving like I do, 180 miles on a charge could be correct!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Take a look to the left side of the area on the DIC where it indicates the range levels, average, max, and min. If there is a green bar extending toward the top of the "max" range, it probably means that the sales staff was driving it hard and it will take a while to become accustomed to your driving style. If this is the case, give it a week or so.

If the bar is yellow and extending down toward the minimum range and you are driving conservatively and not too fast on the highway, you will need to do further investigation.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Also if the recalls were done before delivery, the battery range is reset to something like 200 miles at 100%. If you've been doing speeds over 65, excessive hills, etc, you could drive it down further.

Give it some time for your driving pattern to correct the estimates.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We only have 300 miles on it. We've only driven it around town, no sport mode and ac on 73. We live in Florida so no hills.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not exactly sure what you mean about the recall before delivery. When we picked up the car they realized that there was a recall and they reprogrammed it. Does that mean it will only go to 200 on a full charge?

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
When we picked up the car they realized that there was a recall and they reprogrammed it. Does that mean it will only go to 200 on a full charge?
The propulsion module reprogramming temporarily makes the mileage estimate read incorrectly. Known issue. Wait a couple more charge cycles for it to correct itself and all should be good.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Take a look to the left side of the area on the DIC where it indicates the range levels, average, max, and min. If there is a green bar extending toward the top of the "max" range, it probably means that the sales staff was driving it hard and it will take a while to become accustomed to your driving style. If this is the case, give it a week or so.

If the bar is yellow and extending down toward the minimum range and you are driving conservatively and not too fast on the highway, you will need to do further investigation.
i think you have this backwards. if the staff was driving hard, it would trend toward the minimum guesstimate. but this only represents the current trip, not the overall efficiency. take a look at the average miles/kwh (if it hasn't been reset). if it's in the 3 range, it's been driven hard and so the estimate is low.

·
Registered
366 Posts
i think you have this backwards. if the staff was driving hard, it would trend toward the minimum guesstimate. but this only represents the current trip, not the overall efficiency. take a look at the average miles/kwh (if it hasn't been reset). if it's in the 3 range, it's been driven hard and so the estimate is low.
I mean that if the staff was driving it hard and then the new owner was driving it much more conservatively, they should now see the green / yellow indicator well into the green as their current driving style is much more efficient than the staff's.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I mean that if the staff was driving it hard and then the new owner was driving it much more conservatively, they should now see the green / yellow indicator well into the green as their current driving style is much more efficient than the staff's.
again, that indicator is only for the current trip. it doesn't know anything about what happened before.

167 Posts
Most probable causes as you folks stated 1. Hilltop reserve is on / enabled limiting charge to only 80% go to energy settings on the infotainment screen to check and correct if needed. 2. New Programming of the range meter is still being refined to be more accurate.
You guys suggestions are awesome!

·
Registered
574 Posts
The firmware upgrade doesn't affect range. Charging in 'hilltop mode' simply means the drive battery does not get fully charged: it's charged to 85% of maximum capacity, which is also believed to extend battery life.

You are having your first experience with range anxiety induced by the 'guess-o-meter'. You have to put some mileage (perhaps 1000 miles) on the vehicle before the guess-o-meter can analyze your driving habits and develop a meaningful estimate of how much range you have left. Forget about the guess-o-meter and enjoy driving your nice new EV.

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
The hilltop charge percent reading varies. I have seen readings from 87% to 90%. You may also see different numbers, at the same time, on the MyChevy website, the MyChevy app, and the Torque Pro app. The percent shown can also change over time due to temperature, etc. Batteries are more like balloons than tanks. :)

·
Registered
573 Posts
I would start documenting your indicated miles at each full charge. If you have good driving habits, and full charge, you should be in the 230 mile range. The dealer will give you all of the excuses mentioned in the previous posts. When my Miev's battery went bad, it was a nightmare to have replaced. It involved arguments and excuses. Finally, their repair guy had to take it, drive it, and run it down before they believed me. Hopefully, Chevrolet will be more reasonable about things. But stick to your guns !

·
Registered
1 Posts
Man, why didn't you post it 5 years ago??? Exactly 5 years ago I concluded a contract with Allstate insurance and regretted too much, because I paid much and didn't get qualitative services. Then I moved to UK and searched for a fantastic car insurance in order not to repeat my previous mistakes. You know, I found the Total Insurance and concluded a contract because my friend advised it, as when he had a car accident, he says, that that car insurance made him a 70% discount for repair, and, by the way, the price on insurance will only decrease each year.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You can view their site, if you want - https://www.total-insurance.co.uk/motor-trade-insurance/

1 - 20 of 20 Posts