Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My GF just leased a new 2017 Bolt Premier in White. When we are both together, I'm the usual driver of the car. Personally I own a 2017 Toyota Prius Prime, and when she saw what kind of mileage I was getting she got very intrigued about an EV. She had to outdo me! LOL

So far very impressed with the car, couple of little things I have to get used to, but since I'd already installed an L2 EVSE, life is very good! I've been referring to this site for about a week for my questions, so thanks to all the trailblazers who helped answer my questions anonymously.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
How's the acceleration on the Prime? One of the reasons I went with the Volt instead of the prime was fear of the terrible acceleration of the Prime after test driving a PiP. Also, it wasn't out yet and neither was the Bolt.

You, uh, gonna trade cars with the gf then?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In comparison it is terrible. Over 10 seconds zero to 60. Bolt has goodies the Prime doesn’t but it also seems to have safety features the Bolt doesn’t.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
In comparison it is terrible. Over 10 seconds zero to 60. Bolt has goodies the Prime doesn’t but it also seems to have safety features the Bolt doesn’t.
If you have the time, what are PriusPrime safety features which the Bolt is lacking?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The number one thing that I've noticed is the high speed automatic braking. Chevy advertises the Bolts only as low speed. I've seen it activate on the Prime when you are coming up on a slower vehicle on the highway, and turn your head to check the other lane is clear and the car in front has slowed for something quickly, the warning comes up and if you aren't that quick the brakes will activate on their own.

The other one isn't necessarily a safety feature on the face of it, but Dynamic Radar cruise control is incredible. Once you've had it you are spoiled. Going from 75 to 0 all without driver foot input is great while you have the cruise control on. You don't have to keep playing with the cruise control speed manually. The usual context is it'll slow you down and as the traffic alleviates it'll pick up right where you left it. You just have to adjust the distance you want to maintain on the vehicle in front of you with a button.

Now I haven't played with everything the Bolt has to offer yet, but it's a very nimble vehicle IMO. Carrying that weight low makes it seem so planted. But it's also nice to know if you need the torque it's there and NOW. In the Prime, I'm more likely to be conservative.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Carrying that weight low makes it seem so planted. But it's also nice to know if you need the torque it's there and NOW. In the Prime, I'm more likely to be conservative.
Totally agree. Compared to an ICE vehicle that always sounds like it's working and straining, the Bolt just seems to leap forward effortlessly. It's such a cool driving experience.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts