Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So as of last week, any trip in my Bolt from Maryland to my home state of CT would have involved having to figure out some creative charging solutions, to include having to get off the turnpike.

Now I found out that EVgo has installed 2 CCS compatible fast charging stations at 2 rest areas on the NJTP (at the Molly Pitcher and Joyce Kilmer rest areas for now). It turns out as part of the agreement to allow Tesla to install Superchargers at rest areas on the NJTP, Tesla was required to wire the Superchargers to support installation of non-Tesla fast charging stations as well.

Anyways, a welcome addition for sure for any Bolt owners that travel on the NJTP!
I plotted my MD->CT trip, and the northbound stations are 168 miles away from my home in MD, and the SB stations are 163 miles from my mother's house in CT....almost perfect locations for me!

Here's what's been installed at one of the rest areas:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hey, this is great news! The longest drive I ever make in a car is a trip from MA to DE and I've been looking at the PlugShare site a lot to make sure that it would be feasible in a Bolt. Looks like that trip just got easier! Also, I don't think these are on PlugShare yet. Maybe you could add them? :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Great news! We can only hope that the PA Turnpike will some day get a similar treatment to open up those trips west.

·
Registered
735 Posts
At least we're seeing this growth in charging stations, allows me to better plan my trips and where specifically I charge vs another location.

On that note it would be cool to see certain routes and where people charge along that route.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
On the downside, it seems these fast charging stations are the 100 amp max ones, not 125. So peak charge rates will be around 37/38 kW as opposed to 45-46 with a 125A station.
"Mommy! Mommy! The offer a free dessert with dinner! :)"

"Yes, but they don't have Toffee, my favorite flavor. :mad: "

(Sorry, couldn't resist. ;) )

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So a lot of you probably aren't aware of this, but shortly after these stations went online in June of this year, they were taken offline! And have been offline the last 3-4 months! After reaching to to EVgo multiple times, I finally got a response from them stating that these stations at the Molly Pitcher and Joyce Kilmer stations are awaiting "final inspection" before they are turned back online. How they got turned on the first time without inspection is beyond me.

Anyways, I see that one of the stations is back on Plugshare after being removed, so hopefully that's a sign these fast chargers are back online soon. They really are in the perfect spot for people making the DC-NY/MA drive up 95.

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
Well, I wish they had that requirement everywhere. There are lots of Supercharger stations along our interstates, with no DCFC for us peons. Would have greatly simplified our trip to Tennessee, last month. Would also allow us do our annual trip to Rochester, NY.

·
Registered
739 Posts
PA and NJP DC fast chargers

Great news! We can only hope that the PA Turnpike will some day get a similar treatment to open up those trips west.
I agree. You have to jump through hoops to cross PA. I ended up charging during an otherwise probably unnecessary hotel night on one 1800 mile trip CT to OH. The news that charging stations are being added to the NJP is excellent, although I had no trouble finding fast chargers pretty close to the NJP at various hotels.

·
Registered
739 Posts
NJP DC fast chargers

So a lot of you probably aren't aware of this, but shortly after these stations went online in June of this year, they were taken offline! And have been offline the last 3-4 months! Anyways, I see that one of the stations is back on Plugshare after being removed, so hopefully that's a sign these fast chargers are back online soon. They really are in the perfect spot for people making the DC-NY/MA drive up 95.
Right, I avoided them in my CT to OH trip in early Sept. due to their being down.

·
Registered
149 Posts
...these stations at the Molly Pitcher and Joyce Kilmer stations are awaiting "final inspection" before they are turned back online. How they got turned on the first time without inspection is beyond me...
Maybe they didn't pay off the right politician.

So how many miles would you get with a 30 minute charge using DCFC at 100 amp vs 125?

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
Maybe they didn't pay off the right politician.

So how many miles would you get with a 30 minute charge using DCFC at 100 amp vs 125?
If it acts like my bicycle chargers, it will depend on how full the battery is when you start. Above 50% it probably makes no difference, as it is already tapering.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I just charged my Bolt at an EVgo in Brooklyn, starting at ~30% SOC (6 of 20 bars). The display read 42-43 kW for 30 minutes, adding about 35±5% SOC (7 more bars to get to 13/20). This seems consistent with 21 kWh gained (if each bar is 3 kWh), or maybe 65-70 miles on the HW in cold weather. And not the 90 miles in 30m rating.

I think I charged my LEAF at the NJT units before they went down, and got 20-80% SOC in 30 minutes (with heavy tapering at 80%). This would be more like 15 kWh. Same price.

Still a lot better than the older (Chademo) DCFC's in the area that were all 24 kW max.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I just charged my Bolt at an EVgo in Brooklyn, starting at ~30% SOC (6 of 20 bars).
I'd like to try the Brooklyn EVgo DCFC, if I can convince my wife to go with me in the Bolt on my next trip (from Delaware) to visit my daughter

·
Registered
739 Posts
50 kW charging is 72 miles in 30 minutes

I just charged my Bolt at an EVgo in Brooklyn, maybe 65-70 miles on the HW in cold weather. And not the 90 miles in 30m rating.
My bolt, and everyone else's I think, charges at 72 miles in 30 minutes at EVgo 50 kW stations, starting from a low range left of about 50-60 miles. The 90 miles in 30 minutes quoted by everyone appears to be presently unachievable, or at least I have not found a 60 kW station that is capable of charging a Bolt EV that fast. I can charge to 80% or ~ 200 or more miles range left in the summer, in a bit less than an hour. I have no idea, yet, how the 72 miles in 30 minutes changes in the winter.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Normally those quoted max charge numbers are from an almost totally empty battery pack.

Reactions: drrjv

·
Registered
293 Posts
Hmmm. It seems the open question is whether these '50 kW' EVgo chargers are charging the Bolt at 42 kW b/c the Bolt refuses to take a faster charge (e.g. it is protecting its battery/tapering/not warm enough) or simply b/c the DCFC is not really a 50 kW unit.

Given that the charge speed on my (single) Bolt DCFC experience was solid as a rock at 42 kW for the first 25 of 30 minutes, I am inclined to think it is a software/hardware limitation, rather than a battery SOC limited function.

I like the idea that perhaps these EVgo DCFCs have a current limit of 100A and a voltage limit of 500V, so they are given the nominal rating of 100*500 VA = 50 kVA = 50 kW (max). But that the Bolt takes the full 100A current and that works out to be 100A * V_batt = 42 kW.

In this case, GM is not misleading...a different DCFC that could charge a Bolt at 50 kW (by giving 5e4/420 = 120A) would simply give 25 kWh in 30 mins, and 25 kWh at 3.6 mi/kWh (an optimistic IMO figure for HW driving) would then give 90 miles in 30 minutes. The disappointing thing here is that GM is erroneously using a nominal DCFC charging power which overstates actual charging speed by 20% (50/42).

I would compare this vary favorably to my LEAF experience in 2014....DCFC's were billed as up to 40 kW, and at 40 kW you could charge a LEAF battery 0-80% in 30 minutes (if there was no taper and the battery would take it). So the sales info really made it sound like you could get 60 miles range in 30 minutes of charging. In reality, most of the Chademo chargers were 24 kWh, with a taper, so you would get 10-12 kWh in 30 minutes, or 30-35 miles of range instead of 60, a 50% shortfall. And if you doubled the charge time to a full hour, the taper killed you. The second 30 minutes would only get you another 8-10 kWh.

The net effect is that when you expected to be able to stop for one 30 minute session and get 60 miles, you would have to stop for an hour to get 50 miles, or two separate stops for 30 minutes each to get 60.

Bottom line: The Bolt on the 2017 EVgo chargers is effectively 2x faster charging than my LEAF was on 2014 vintage CHademo chargers. And has enough range to give me a choice of a few DCFCs and different routes, instead a single route solution that requires me to hop between every available Chademo charger space 40 miles apart.

When '80 kW' chargers become available, I guess we think those will be 160A * 500V units, and will (best case) charge the Bolt at 160A * 420V = 67kW. This would add (without taper) 33.5 kW in 30 minutes, or 110 miles of HW driving (at 3.3 mi/kWh). This would be 3X faster than my 2014 LEAF experience.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts