Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2 week old Bolt. Been charging at home with L1 charger since purchase. Have used DC charging 3 times at the local mall and used L2 3 or 4 times here and there, one time a 3 hour charge while at a baseball game.

Had certified electrician install outlet and 50a breaker for my garage and I picked up a Juicebox 40 pro.

Connected for the first charge and let it sit for a while (verified it was charging, excited that the time to complete was actually only a few hours away. It was connected for just a short bit - about 15 minutes - before I realized I needed to make a quick run to the store and then come home to let it continue on the charger.

Disconnected and got in the car. Started it and got "PROPULSION REDUCTION" message. I have seen this once on the first day I owned the car and its battery got down to very very low levels. I powered off car and restarted and now have "Service Vehicle Soon" light illuminated.

OnStar confirmed the alerts and noted that the system was saying for immediate service (not sure if this is the standard alert or something different for my situation).

Local Chevy dealer can get me in tomorrow. I have read some forum notes of people with Volts having similar issues that clear after a few cycles. Possible I didnt have the connector plugged in all the way? Anything else anyone might think of.

I called emotorwerks and they looked at the charging info from the Juicebox online details and everything looked very normal. Just concerned obviously... appreciate any feedback. thanks!

·
Registered
111 Posts
My trouble shooting methodology would be:
* Verify that you really had the cable plugged into the Bolt correctly. It took me some time to get familiar with that the cable needed to be seated well in the connector and that the lever on the cable had to seat properly as well (telling the bolt that it's ok to draw power). Of course, it's pretty obvious if it's not seated correctly as the light on the dash won't turn amber, then green and then chirp (assuming you have chirp enabled).

* Does the dashboard instrument panel say 'charging' when you look inside?

* Make sure you have the charging times set the way you want. And, that your power situation wasn't a user error. For example, if you have programmed your car (or charger) to only charge off-peak, then you would not have gotten the charge you were expecting. With a smart car and a smart charger, I could see some unintentional conflict.

* Try putting charge in 'immediate' mode to override any programming.

Sorry if I'm stating obvious stuff, but it's what I can think of short of a real defect in the product.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes to all of that. (verified cable and dashboard indication)

One thing that was different on that first time charge :
I have my car set to charge at night and hilltop when at home.

I connected the new L2 charger and it showed that the charging was pending so I entered the vehicle and with the charger connected made the override changes - set to charge immediate and also disabled the hilltop.
Everything looked good and the car immediately started charging.

Then 15 minutes later is when the other issues occurred.

Thanks!

·
Registered
111 Posts
I spent a few minutes googling "propulsion error Bolt" and there isn't a ton of info. I did find another Bolt Forum of which you are probably aware:
http://gm-volt.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?489-Chevy-Bolt-EV-Discussion-News-Reviews-and-Events

to which you can post your question. Based on my brief readings, other have seen this problem and it's required a battery module replacement (i.e. into the dealer). Most discussions regarding this error message are folks who have driven the car too near empty battery, but this doesn't sound like your situation. I'm curious as to whether after the 15 minutes you mention, the car indicated that it stopped charging? Or did it indicate it was charging?

Sorry to hear but keep us posted as to what you find.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts