Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my Charcoal Gray Bolt LT last night. I picked it up in Carlsbad, Ca. Salesman was Eric Torres. Did all negotiating via text/email.
No previous lease. They didn’t want to get me down to the price I asked for but I said I was going to pass and they came back a few hours later and we agreed to the following:

$3650 - $2500 rebate - $700 Costco cash card -
$162 a month. I was not able to get a real discount for a one lease pay. Dude said i would have saved only $340 so to me at the time it wasn’t worth it.
3yrs 12K a year.

I was in and out in about 1.5 hours.
Been driving it today and so far it’s a pretty fun car.

Does anyone know of any other rebates for SDG&E? I feel there is another one that I’m missing.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Congratulations and welcome aboard! I am a "buy", not a "lease" driver. I find that the learning about the Bolt comes in layers, and this Forum is a great place to learn.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Congratulations and welcome aboard! I am a "buy", not a "lease" driver. I find that the learning about the Bolt comes in layers, and this Forum is a great place to learn.
I am typically a "buy" driver but since I'm not too familiar with an EV I decided to lease to try it out. I'm liking it so far and will probably buy one next time around. This is the perfect compliment to my Chevy Avalanche.

·
Registered
9 Posts
congrats! that's a great deal, I just got this in Portland: $0 down/$241 per month/36 months/12k miles (base model with DC fast charging option)

·
Registered
1 Posts
do you have the contact info for your salesperson?

Also what was the MSRP and sales price before any cash you put down?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Those of you with leases, I would like to know what residual they quoted in your contract. This will give an indication of how much GM is helping the dealer with the leases. The higher the residual (above 55%) the more that GM is helping to keep the lease price low.

·
Registered
9 Posts
lease info

Those of you with leases, I would like to know what residual they quoted in your contract. This will give an indication of how much GM is helping the dealer with the leases. The higher the residual (above 55%) the more that GM is helping to keep the lease price low.
My lease from 11/8/17:

Gross capitalized cost: 36,794
Capitalized cost reduction: 6,850
Adjusted capitalized cost: 29,944
Residual value:22,947

What does this tell you?

·
Registered
107 Posts
The gross Cap is the MSRP. The residual shown is 62.37% which is very high for a 3 year depreciation. Average depreciation on an ICE car amounts to 14% to 15% per year over 3 years with some vehicles even less and some like the Chevy Volt showing a depreciation of around 27% per year. This means two things. First, Chevrolet is providing a lease incentive because they are showing a very high residual and second, you would be making a big mistake to buy out at lease end as its actual value at lease end could be as low as 19% of MSRP if it follows the Chevy VOlt's depreciation rate. I hope this helps you understand better how the lease works. You should understand why the cap reduction is not real money too. All it does is reduce the interest charge portion of the lease. If it were real money they would not base residual on MSRP. Let's say you have a 4% cost of funds this allows them to reduce the monthly payment by $22.83/mo. It doesn't change the residual value at all. Residual value, interest rate and cap reduction are ways the dealer can play to hit what ever your monthly payment goal is. Usually, they have some lattitude on these three variables based on what GM provides as incentives. Dealers like leases!

·
Registered
107 Posts
garthb, I fed your information into a lease calculator and I can't match your payment number. The monthly depreciation fee would be $194.36 so I don't see how your payments can be $160. If they only charged you 2% on the money the monthly payment before sales tax would be $238.44 With tax at 8.75% the total monthly payment would be $259.30.

·
Registered
770 Posts
...second, you would be making a big mistake to buy out at lease end as its actual value at lease end could be as low as 19% of MSRP if it follows the Chevy VOlt's depreciation rate.
Quite some time ago, I leased a Ford Explorer. At lease end, the wholesale value was $6,000 less than the lease end buyout (residual). Without me asking, the leasing company (private bank) offered to sell the vehicle to me at $4500 below residual. Will GM Financial negotiate a lease buyout? If the Bolt depreciates as the Volt did (Which will be certain as the pre-owned EV market is effectively non-existent), GM Financial will take a bath on these Bolts.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Quite some time ago, I leased a Ford Explorer. At lease end, the wholesale value was $6,000 less than the lease end buyout (residual). Without me asking, the leasing company (private bank) offered to sell the vehicle to me at $4500 below residual. Will GM Financial negotiate a lease buyout? If the Bolt depreciates as the Volt did (Which will be certain as the pre-owned EV market is effectively non-existent), GM Financial will take a bath on these Bolts.
You were very lucky. I haven't found any corporate leasing company willing to discount a penny from the residual even though they know they will take a bath at auction. (Mercedes, BMW, Lexus, Hyundai just to name my most recent ones). It may be because they have some recourse to the dealer that is hidden from us. Rather than sell it at auction maybe the dealer has to sell it as a certified pre-owned and share in the loss which will be minimized by selling at CPR price rather than wholesale. I don't know, just a guess.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Rvan, ask for Eric Torres at Weseloh Chevrolet in Carlsbad. He hasn’t helped quite a few people get the same deal.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts