Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
3,927 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

...I found that running a 220 charge at home is a problem because our service amperage is only 100. Really expensive to upgrade the service...
...As an owner who also has a 100 A old house, let me tell you what I did : I bought and installed a LCS-20 from Clipper Creek (16A on a 20A circuit) in 2014 for my Volt and it works just fine for my Bolt EV too...
Voldar is suggesting that you may be able to install a 240V circuit without changing the wiring in the walls. You would have an electrician change the breakers and the outlet. You would be limited to the current rating of the wiring (typically 20A for 120V circuits), so at most 80% x 20A = 16A for a Level 2 EVSE. Others have even used the OEM EVSE that comes with the Bolt on 240V using a plug adapter; it's a rebranded Webasto / Clipper Creek unit that is capable of 240V, but only labeled for 120V.

...I'm perfectly capable of managing charging settings, but now all the settings are disabled. We want to take a road trip but the crippled charging is discouraging. I wonder if it is possible to revert the software to before the update?
Check to see if you have location-based charging turned on. Some of the charge settings are only available if that setting is turned on. Installing the software update does reset several of the settings, but should not disable them. The only limitation is that you cannot set a target charge level about 80%.

...We have iPhones and find that the connection to CarPlay is erratic. We use GPS everywhere we go, but sometimes it just doesn't respond. Or it works and then stops working. Even when it works the displayed functions are different...I see there is a device we can leave plugged into the car that will automatically connect to the phone. Do this work or will I have the same problem of poor connection?
I have an Android, so I can't speak to iPhone and CarPlay specifically. However, I've found that if I try to plug in my phone right away, the Android Auto function doesn't always start up correctly. If I wait until the car is fully started (all the warning lights on the dash go off, the infotainment screen is completely up and running), then plug in my phone, Android Auto seems to start up more reliably.

As for your iPhone, it's always a good idea to check if there is a software update available. Also, some forum members have reported problems with older iPhones and Apple CarPlay, so if you have an older iPhone and you'e willing to upgrade, that might help.

As for wireless CarPlay adapters, there are several available. Here are some threads about them (I also encourage you to search the forum for answers to your questions):

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
3,927 Posts
Some people are being compensated quite generously, getting new Bolts or other GM vehicles in exchange for their old Bolts, and at no cost. Some have to pay just for usage on their old Bolts. Others are taking straight buybacks. Did you look into the options in your state?
Some paid in the $20k range, were offered a swap for a 22, and decided they were "entitled" to $6k more with the price cut on the 23. So different people have very different opinions about what they are "entitled" to.
/shrug

1 - 2 of 2 Posts