Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT Cayenne Orange Metallic
1,131 Posts
I'll 2nd the LCS-20 solution if you want faster. We too have just 100 amp service. Charging @ 16 amps on Level 2, was all our 2018 Volt could take. It's plenty fast for our Bolt. We charge overnight, so it's a can of corn on our 100 amp service.

And Congratulations too!

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Consider doing or having an energy audit done. I have 100amp service too, but even if I literally turn everything & every item on and plug everything in my house I only pull 70 amps of power (everything is led) Since this not realistic I could easily 32amp 240v and do normal day to day stuff.
Since moving to our house in 1985, I bet we now have a lower maximum load. Virtually every light bulb then was 40-100 watt incandescent. Now they are all 7-20 watt led or flourescent. Our two window ACs pull fewer amps than our first ones did. Our two tablets less than my one big desktop computer. Same for our TVs.

Every major appliance has been replaced with more efficient ones. Our range used to be all electric, now only the oven is. And nothing of significance has been added.

Our Bolt, is charged off a 20 amp circuit that used to be a 30 amp circuit for an electric dryer, which we replaced with a gas one. We had to drop it to 20 amps, because the preexisting and previously unused wire running underground to our detached garage is only 12 gauge.

So if our 100 amp service was enough then, it's enough now. And like you, we could probably charge at 32 amps, if the line to the garage was sufficient.

Reactions: jefro

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
You are right that roadtrips with 80% limit are a trial. I feel I deserve more compensation than a new battery, but that's capitalism for you.
Some people are being compensated quite generously, getting new Bolts or other GM vehicles in exchange for their old Bolts, and at no cost. Some have to pay just for usage on their old Bolts. Others are taking straight buybacks. Did you look into the options in your state?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts