Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My name is Frank and I just took delivery of my Bolt this past Friday. It's a blast to drive, and I'm all into getting educated on the cool stuff it can do. (I have a premier trim with infotainment and driver assistance packages).

One thing that I wanted to do was to install a dashcam (too bad a recording feature is not integrated into the existing camera system). I had one on my last car and it has proven valuable over the years. Wanted to know if anybody has installed one yet. Still trying to determine the best placement for the front camera as the area behind the rear view mirror is already occupied by the factory camera and other sensors. I'm going to install a BlackVue DR650S-2CH with power magic pro. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Welcome to the forums! I can't help you much on the dash cam as I've never had one, but somebody here might have an idea on it. I hear everybody in Russia drives with a dash cam, so once the Bolt makes it's way there, there will no doubt be a solution! :laugh:

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
Welcome to the forums! I can't help you much on the dash cam as I've never had one, but somebody here might have an idea on it. I hear everybody in Russia drives with a dash cam, so once the Bolt makes it's way there, there will no doubt be a solution! :laugh:
There are some hilarious Youtube videos out there that show why almost everyone in Russia has a dashcam. Literally people that will throw themselves at cars so they can fake an injury claim and try to sue the driver. There was one I saw where a guy launched himself onto the windshield of a car stopped at a light (smashed the windshield and everything), then started acting like the driver had hit him, rolling on the ground in "pain".
Then the driver got out, yelled and pointed at the dashcam and said he had everything on camera, and the windshield launcher got up, looked at the camera, and just walked away.

OP, I'd be interested in your final setup. Photos are appreciated!

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Welcome to the forums :)

I haven't ever really had a dashcam either so I'm not too sure but as central as possible would be the best thing I would presume?

·
Registered
151 Posts

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
Never thought about doing that, but storage would be an issue no? Unless you keep cycling the micro sd card
Of course that's true of all dash cameras, phone-based or not. They normally fill the card and then continue recording over the earlier part of the video - so you have a record of the last, say, hour of driving.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Plus there's only so much space you need, most people don't need what happened within the past hour. As data plans for cars get to a level we have at home then cloud based storage will be best.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Ah that is true. The only sort of camera I've used in a car was a GoPro but I completely lapsed in regards to - this isn't footage we'd be keeping all of, it's just to catch an incident and can be recorded over and over. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
If you mount a camera on the dash using that windshield mount, would it still be sitting high enough and angled correctly to record everything in front?

·
Registered
98 Posts
I've just ordered a dash cam off www.gearbest.com that has a front and forward facing camera. Looking forward to getting it installed once my car arrives.

·
Registered
151 Posts
If you mount a camera on the dash using that windshield mount, would it still be sitting high enough and angled correctly to record everything in front?
Almost all of windshield mount are ajdustable for your needs. No car have the same windshield angle. Once my installation will be totally finished (try to optimize and use solar recharge, full autonymous) I'll post pics.

·
Registered
328 Posts
(...)Wanted to know if anybody has installed one yet. Still trying to determine the best placement for the front camera as the area behind the rear view mirror is already occupied by the factory camera and other sensors. I'm going to install a BlackVue DR650S-2CH with power magic pro. Any thoughts?(...)
Hi fellow San Diegan (-ish)

I have installed a BlackVue DR450 check my thread here: http://www.chevybolt.org/forum/26-electronics-audio-lighting/9658-dash-cam-install-2.html#post134153

You may also want to check the tk1971's OP from the same thread about finding power in the mirror box: http://www.chevybolt.org/forum/26-electronics-audio-lighting/9658-dash-cam-install.html#post107874

I'm looking for a dash cam, can you recommend me any website that have best and unbaised guide?
Check: https://dashboardcamerareviews.com/category/all-reviews/
and: http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-dash-cam/

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
The PapaGo complete rearview mirror thing looks pretty cool actually, but I presume that would interfere with the rear view mirror features it already has so that's a no go.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for urls, but i followed this guide: http://Dashcambox.com
Let see how long THINKWARE X500D will last.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts