Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Just picked up a 18 LT yesterday, my first EV. Really like it, still learning how to use public charger. I tried using that chargepoint card that comes with the car, seems like it won't work with EVgo. Anyway, I really enjoy all the information provided by this forum!

Thanks
Kenneth

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
Welcome aboard. Congratulations on your new Bolt. Many of us are first time EV owners. Luckily, there's many forum members that have been into EV's for many years and bring in lots of knowledge.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
No, your chargepoint card won't work with EVgo - they are separate companies. *IF* you feel you might use an EVgo unit you should consider signing up with them - you might be able to get a free card from them. They have subscription plans where you pay a monthly fee, but you can also get a card with no monthly fee (but the energy cost when you use it is more).

I highly recommend that you go to https://www.plugshare.com/ to find public charging close to you. Type in your address, and zoom the map to show 10 or 40 or 100 miles close to where you live/work. Set the plug-type options for "EV plug" (i.e., 240V level-2) and "CCS/SAE" (i.e., DC Fast Charge - "Bolt"-style) and UNSET all the other connectors (you can't use them). That will show you all of (well, most of) the available public charging spots near you. Next, unset all of the Networks (including "Other") and then ONE BY ONE set each network and look at what is available close to you for EACH network (one at a time). That will clue you in to which networks have a lot of stations near you (or maybe just the most convenient ones). That way you can sign up for the 2 or 3 networks most convenient to you. And you can do the same thing along your route before you take a trip. (I have taken a trip and dropped off the family and luggage at our destination, then gone to a closeby public charger and left the car for hours to charge at max rate while I visit family/friends, then I pick it up later).

PlugShare also has smartphone apps for both iOS and Android devices, so you can find them "on the road" - but planning ahead is better when you can.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
OK... Here is a (jpeg) snapshot of the "options" you might select on plugshare.com :

(EVgo is the only one UNSET in this example)

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your help. At first I thought that Chargepoint card works with all the charging station since the EVgo station show up on their App. Thanks, I will check out plugshare.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Where in CA are you?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Where in CA are you?
Greetings from California! :)
I am over at Rancho Cucamonga (SoCal), I was playing around with the plugshare app, found 2 free DC chargers around my area. Will give it a try tomorrow, although I saw the comment that those 2 spaces are almost always taken 24/7. I am currently looking for a level 2 charger for my home, and debating if I should change my utility plan from tier to peak/off peak plan.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
"debating if I should change my utility plan from tier to peak/off peak plan"

There should be several threads here on that subject where you can read up on this - but you should carefully consider before switching your plan. If you rarely use electricity during the day OR can switch usage to nighttime (dishwasher, clothes washer, ...) it *might* be worthwhile. But if you use an air conditioner at all during the summer, it is quite possibly a very bad idea.

In terms of "free L3" - I only use that if it is convenient; I don't drive much out of my way for one. IMO, free L2 near work or home is much more convenient. There used to be free L2 charging about 1/2 mile from my house, and I would drop off the vehicle in the early evening after work, walk home and eat dinner, do stuff until about an hour or so before bed, then walk back and pick it up. That had the double advantage of free electricity, AND daily aerobic exercise to keep the heart in good shape. I didn't bother when it was raining or cold out (under 40) - and it was really more about the incentive to get 20-30 minutes of walking than the electricity.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.