Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just leased a new 2020 Bolt LT in early February. Been a happy Honda CRV owner for over 12 years and this Chevy Bolt will be our first new car since then. So far, I’ve driven it locally and took it for day trip to Santa Barbara (about 80 miles) to treat my wife for a Valentine luncheon at a beach front restaurant. For a small car, I’m impressed with its road handling and driving performances and even more impressed in what’s under the hood. Of course, the first thing you’ll notice is how freaky quiet the ride is and how quickly it accelerates.

Questions: At delivery from the dealer, the Bolt shows 265 miles range after overnight charge by the dealer and remained at the 260 mile range during the first two weeks of 20 miles of local driving but dropped to 235 mile range after our day trip of 160 miles utilizing 2/3 of its battery charge capacity. Using the GM supplied L1 charger at 8A charge it took 2 full days to fully charged but the mile range was to 235. Tried the 12A charge with the same result. Mileage to date is 240. Is this normal?? Will a DC fast charge get it back to 265 mile range? Is this a concern that needs my dealer’s attention? Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
dropped to 235 mile range after our day trip of 160 miles utilizing 2/3 of its battery charge capacity.
Welcome to the forum. My range dropped is a popular first post for many. The car estimates the future range based on recent driving history. EPA range is based on a mix of driving that's not all highway. So when you took your trip via the highway, you'll see range less than the EPA rating. What you can do is reset your efficiency back to the default so it will quickly adjust back to your standard driving style.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Also...it's Winter.

Being in Valencia (I'm in Huntington Beach), you won't see extended periods of below zero temperatures, but you will see a hit to range when you get down to the 40s nonetheless. During especially cold snaps, you might lose 15% of your range. In the three years I've had my '17 Premier, I've seen full ranges not that much above 200 mi. when it's "cold" here.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts