Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just joined your forum guys !
In few weeks I'll be switching from 2009 Acura TL to 2018 or 2019 Bolt. Never had an electric car, so it's time to learn :)

I'm thinking about getting this refurb charger:

Looks like it doesn't have a WiFi.
Is there a way I could phone connect to a Bolt and set up a charging schedule? or I need a charger with WiFi ?
Or how do you guys set up charging schedules if you have low peak /night time electricity hours?
Sorry, if that's a known to owners feature :) just trying to hook up 240V and charger to my garage before I get the car.
Thank you for any input !
Hubert @ Geneva, IL

·
Registered
496 Posts
I think the Bolt has an internal timer that will let you set charging times. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
Anecdotally, chargers with WiFi tend to be problematic. It doesn't happen often, but it seems that it happens more so than non WiFi models. Again, just my observation, no data to back this up.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
I just joined your forum guys !
In few weeks I'll be switching from 2009 Acura TL to 2018 or 2019 Bolt. Never had an electric car, so it's time to learn :)

I'm thinking about getting this refurb charger:

Looks like it doesn't have a WiFi.
Is there a way I could phone connect to a Bolt and set up a charging schedule? or I need a charger with WiFi ?
Or how do you guys set up charging schedules if you have low peak /night time electricity hours?
Sorry, if that's a known to owners feature :) just trying to hook up 240V and charger to my garage before I get the car.
Thank you for any input !
Hubert @ Geneva, IL
The Versicharge has been problematic (for some) when using the Bolt's onboard charge delay. The Versicharge sometimes displays an error. (Siemens points at GM, and GM points at Siemens about the problem.) If you plan to only use the Versicharge's 2-4-6-8 hour charge delay buttons, it's sure to work fine. I've got three of them, and they've served me well through three EVs. I got a killer deal at Costco years ago, for $250 each.

One nice feature of the Versicharge is that it has an internal switch that allows you to change the charge current to something less than its 30A default maximum in increments of 25%, 50%, or 75%. This makes using it on a 30A dryer circuit doable at 75% (22.5A). Note that the Bolt can charge at up to 32A.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Never had an electric car
Welcome to the forum. The Bolt was my first EV, bought back in 2017. Never installed a "charger" as I found out that the charge cord that came with the Bolt works on 240V. Might be an option if you get a 240V outlet installed. How many miles will you be driving in a week?

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
IF you live where time-of-use charges provide a considerable savings, then maybe the basic VersiCharge is not the best. Here in WV, electricity is $0.11/kWh all day with no break for "after-hours" charging. My Siemens VesiCharge (the identical Home Depot one) has performed flawlessly for over three years. I have the plugged (NEMA 6-50) version. I have taken it (with my NEMA 14-50 {plug} to NEMA 6-50 {outlet} home-made adapter to the backwoods and charged at AC Level 2 where no EVSE exists for 50 miles. Every RV park and KoA Kampground has oodles of NEMA 14-50 outlets. Those I have encountered were happy to allow me to charge (some free, some for a small ($5) donation). The Bolt EV amperage limit for AC Level 2 is 32 amps (it has a 7.68 kW OBCM {On Board Charging Module}) but I have NEVER felt that 30 amps was inadequate to my needs. Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome to the forum. The Bolt was my first EV, bought back in 2017. Never installed a "charger" as I found out that the charge cord that came with the Bolt works on 240V. Might be an option if you get a 240V outlet installed. How many miles will you be driving in a week?
Well, I'm starting a new job which is 40miles one way, thus electric car came in mind (I love my Acura TL, but she would kill my wallet with gasoline:) so roughly I would be driving 80/day = 400/week

·
Registered
361 Posts
Well, I'm starting a new job which is 40miles one way, thus electric car came in mind (I love my Acura TL, but she would kill my wallet with gasoline:) so roughly I would be driving 80/day = 400/week
The Bolt's official efficiency is 4mi/kWh*, which makes your roundtrip ~20kWh. At 120V, 12A (standard household current, 1.44kW minus losses), that's ~17 hours. At 240V, 12A (charge cord + converter, 2.88kW minus losses), that's ~8 hours. At 240V, 30A (Siemens charger, 7.2kW minus losses) it'd be ~3 hours.

Provided you are reasonably consistent about charging when you get home from work, I think you'll do just fine with the converter.

(* You'll do better than 4mi/kWh at low speeds or in traffic and worse at speeds >60MPH or when using the heater a lot)

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
so roughly I would be driving 80/day = 400/week
With your commute, a level 2 that matches closer to the Bolt's 32 amp limit would be a good idea. Life gets busy and there will be that one time you might forget to plug in and having the faster unit will help in those moments. I'm retired so I only charge about once per week and for my unit to take 12 hours isn't an issue. I just wish the Bolt had come out several years earlier so I too got to use it for commuting. But alas, the Bolt became my retirement car.

You're going to love the savings. But the best thing is the lack of oil changes.

·
Registered
2018 Bolt EV Premier Nightfall Gray
213 Posts
Been using a Versi-charge for over 2 years. For immediate charge mode, no issues. But scheduled charging and it Faults about 5-10% of the time. Also had it Fault at least once when preconditioning.

When my utility starts offering TOU rates next year, I intend to replace with something more robust.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Been using a Versi-charge for over 2 years. For immediate charge mode, no issues. But scheduled charging and it Faults about 5-10% of the time. Also had it Fault at least once when preconditioning.

When my utility starts offering TOU rates next year, I intend to replace with something more robust.
You can't work with the Versicharge's 2-4-6 or 8 hour delay buttons?

·
Registered
2018 Bolt EV Premier Nightfall Gray
213 Posts
You can't work with the Versicharge's 2-4-6 or 8 hour delay buttons?
I could, but would rather be able to set and forget a schedule in the car and have an EVSE that can reliably respond to the car's demands.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The answer:
You have to use the touch screen inside the Bolt to set the cheap electricity times per day if the week and per session, summer or winter. Then you can set the charging type: immediate, which ignores the schedule, departure, which will start the charge as late as possible to have the car charged at departure time and desistir and rate, which el over the schedule. There a few more options like ignore schedule to get the car to 40% and then over schedule and others.
you can only change the charge type from the phone. Say the car is set to schedule, but you need it charged immediately, then you can force that from the app.
WiFi in the Charger is not needed. But if you have it, then you move this functionality to the charger.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts