Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Wife and I just took delivery of an '18 Premier yesterday on a 3-year lease, trading in our '15 Kia Soul EV. We're a 1-car household, both of us being retired and in our '60's. We really loved the Soul EV, but the range was an issue, keeping us from making some longer drives without renting an ICE car. This thing has so many bells and whistles, it's gonna take us awhile to figure everything out! Our salesman, though very helpful, led us to believe that the "L" position was actually a lower gear for going downhill.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Welcome! Lots of great info on here about the car. I had mine for 1 year now and couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Our salesman, though very helpful, led us to believe that the "L" position was actually a lower gear for going downhill.
Your salesman does have a point: when going down hill you can use "L" mode to increase regen strength such that it slows your car down further while going down hill.

A great thing to do is down a mild grade, set your cruise to the speed you want and the car will automagically increase regen to maintain your speed. I don't think ICE cars do that with engine braking. Maybe some hybrids do, but my old 2017 Volt didn't. Bolt is neat in this respect. One thing to watch for is you will not have much regen if your battery is full, so don't rely on it for speed management. You'll still need to use brakes for stops. But if you happen to have a bar or two depleted, setting cruise and letting it maintain your speed as you wind down a weaving road is spectacular.

·
Registered
49 Posts
A great thing to do is down a mild grade, set your cruise to the speed you want and the car will automagically increase regen to maintain your speed.
My 2010 Prius would do this. The best thing though, when the battery gets all the way topped off in the Prius, after a long downhill run, the car will cruise for 2 or 3 miles at 60 mph without the engine running. I did it nearly everytime the wife and I went to "the big city." I'm pretty sure she thought I was nuts to put so much effort into squeezing the extra couple mpg out of an already fuel efficient car. :eek:

·
Registered
246 Posts
Hi all. Wife and I just took delivery of an '18 Premier yesterday on a 3-year lease, trading in our '15 Kia Soul EV.
I hope you both love the Bolt as much as I love mine.
There are several things that were new for me, but as a prior EV owner, maybe you've worked through many already.
Where are you located, and where do you plan to use your new extended range?

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
The best thing though, when the battery gets all the way topped off in the Prius, after a long downhill run, the car will cruise for 2 or 3 miles at 60 mph without the engine running. I did it nearly everytime the wife and I went to "the big city." I'm pretty sure she thought I was nuts to put so much effort into squeezing the extra couple mpg out of an already fuel efficient car. :eek:
My Prius C was a great car, but I was a little OCD about trying to maximize all-electric operation and it became very frustrating for me. The Prius C was my gateway drug to electric vehicles.

I am SO much happier with the Bolt. Not only will it recover far more energy on downhill runs (I would frequently top out the Prius C's battery and have to use [shudder] the mechanical brakes), but I can punch the accelerator as hard as I want and it uses ZERO gas! I love it!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.