Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV LT
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, happy number 2 owner in BC here. My Kinetic blue LT (with comfort pkg) arrived Sunday and I took delivery today. I almost didn't take the car on first inspection due to a bad first experience with the driver's seat but, the incentives here were too good to say no, and knowing that my wife would be very happy with the car or worst case I'm sure I could flip it I signed the papers. I'm glad I did as after spending some time in it I'm way more comfortable than I first was on the quick inspection and test drive. With that concern out of the way I'm super happy with the car, and am glad to be done buying gas and changing oil!

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Welcome to the forums. Congratulations to you and your wife as well! How long have you been driving it around for and what are you coming from?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Congratulations - some people do say they become use to the wraparound type nature of the seats. I will be waiting for my Bolt here in Ontario for several more months. Enjoy yours

·
Registered
20 Posts
Congrats! I'm in the belief that once you go electric it's hard to go back to ICE. We need to free ourselves of ICE vehicles ASAP. The technology is here and just need to get the costs down so, the average person can afford them.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Congrats! I'm in the belief that once you go electric it's hard to go back to ICE. We need to free ourselves of ICE vehicles ASAP. The technology is here and just need to get the costs down so, the average person can afford them.
before I would have a hard time saying that but with what's happening on the very high end of the industry with supercars and hypercars it really shows the potential. mclaren for example wants to come out with an all-electric P1 successor and already the P1 is a hybrid. there will be something for everyone.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
congrats on the Bolt and welcome to the forum! How much incentive did you get from the gov't? I took a look at the BC rebates and it looks like you can get up to $5,000 and more if you decide to scrap your old vehicle.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Darn, didn't know they get an incentive for scrapping their vehicle too. Wouldn't selling it or trading it in bring more value?

·
Registered
150 Posts
It's great to hear they are finally starting to deliver Bolts in BC! Next Nation Wide!! fingers crossed...

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
congrats on the Bolt and welcome to the forum! How much incentive did you get from the gov't? I took a look at the BC rebates and it looks like you can get up to $5,000 and more if you decide to scrap your old vehicle.
The Scrap-It program pays $6000 if you scrap an older vehicle to buy an EV, and the CEV for BC program pays $5000 for qualifying EVs (and the Bolt does qualify). So if you have a car to scrap you can get up to $11,000 of incentive, although of course that would be reduced by whatever the value you could otherwise get for the vehicle you're scrapping.

The Scrap-It program is probably going to run out of funds soon, though. It's only been a month and they've already gone through well over 200 of the 500 slots available.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV LT
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I better double check my notification settings, i didn't realize people had responded to my intro! I took delivery on the 1st, and have about 250kms on it so far. In that time the range has been pretty poor to be honest, but it's poor conditions here for EV here; cold and wet. The heater's running to warm the cabin and the A/C is running to dry the air, bad combination. BUT I can still easily do the 150 km workday run and do errands after work without having to worry about charging away from home.

I'd had my '03 Ford Focus since new and had been in the market for a new car for about 9 months, and assumed that I'd be buying a newer used car to drive for a couple years until the Model 3 (or similar) became readily available. The focus was still running reliably getting me to work and back and towing my trailer, but I was ready for a change (I've had the car for nearly 14yrs and 270k at that point) and I knew that it would be needing a clutch job soon etc. I've driven my brother's Fit EV and Volt and knew that my end game would be going electric. After seeing the used Leafs coming up for my used car money I did some quick calcs and determined that it wouldn't have the range I need regularly, so no-go on that. However, that homework put me onto the Bolt EV which I wasn't even aware of at the time. After looking into it and the standard tech, range, performance etc. I knew that would be the next car, so I prepared for a wait.

When I was considering the Bolt I knew that we had a $5000 rebate here in BC for EV purchase, and a $3250 (at the time) incentive for scrapping my focus which I figure I could have gotten $1500 - $2000 out of by selling car, and accessories the traditional way. To my delight this January a coworker pointed out that the Scrap-It amount had increased to $6250! When I signed the papers I had the $5000 from the government and the $250 from Scrap-IT taken off the sell price, then stripped the valuable parts off the Focus to sell separately and handed it over to the Scrap-It program for a $6000 cheque. By the time I'm done I'll have gotten about $7000 out of my focus, pretty awesome! Brings the $45,000 MSRP on the car down to a more reasonable amount for sure.

When I took delivery of my car I was told there was one other in BC at the time, a grey one in Vancouver. There was supposed to be a 3rd one coming in with our two but it was apparently held up in QC so while the Bolts are here in BC, they will be a rare site for a while. Will be a good day when I spot another one!

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
I better double check my notification settings, i didn't realize people had responded to my intro! I took delivery on the 1st, and have about 250kms on it so far. In that time the range has been pretty poor to be honest, but it's poor conditions here for EV here; cold and wet. The heater's running to warm the cabin and the A/C is running to dry the air, bad combination. BUT I can still easily do the 150 km workday run and do errands after work without having to worry about charging away from home.

I'd had my '03 Ford Focus since new and had been in the market for a new car for about 9 months, and assumed that I'd be buying a newer used car to drive for a couple years until the Model 3 (or similar) became readily available. The focus was still running reliably getting me to work and back and towing my trailer, but I was ready for a change (I've had the car for nearly 14yrs and 270k at that point) and I knew that it would be needing a clutch job soon etc. I've driven my brother's Fit EV and Volt and knew that my end game would be going electric. After seeing the used Leafs coming up for my used car money I did some quick calcs and determined that it wouldn't have the range I need regularly, so no-go on that. However, that homework put me onto the Bolt EV which I wasn't even aware of at the time. After looking into it and the standard tech, range, performance etc. I knew that would be the next car, so I prepared for a wait.

When I was considering the Bolt I knew that we had a $5000 rebate here in BC for EV purchase, and a $3250 (at the time) incentive for scrapping my focus which I figure I could have gotten $1500 - $2000 out of by selling car, and accessories the traditional way. To my delight this January a coworker pointed out that the Scrap-It amount had increased to $6250! When I signed the papers I had the $5000 from the government and the $250 from Scrap-IT taken off the sell price, then stripped the valuable parts off the Focus to sell separately and handed it over to the Scrap-It program for a $6000 cheque. By the time I'm done I'll have gotten about $7000 out of my focus, pretty awesome! Brings the $45,000 MSRP on the car down to a more reasonable amount for sure.

When I took delivery of my car I was told there was one other in BC at the time, a grey one in Vancouver. There was supposed to be a 3rd one coming in with our two but it was apparently held up in QC so while the Bolts are here in BC, they will be a rare site for a while. Will be a good day when I spot another one!
jostafew,
Can I ask what you provided to BC Scrap it to apply for the program? I also live in BC and I'm hoping to take advantage of the $6000 but with around 230 of the 500 vouchers left, I'll most likely miss out. I ordered my Bolt a couple of weeks ago but I'm not sure I'll take delivery before the end of the 90 day grace. What did you think of their process?

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV LT
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The process looks straight forward on their website but I did have to write to them a couple times to confirm what steps needed to happen and what they needed from me. The first step is just to apply on the website by entering your contact info and information about the car you intend to scrap. They told me to do it a week or two before I was going to take delivery of my new car. After that, you'll need to call ICBC to have them provide proof of contiguous insurance on your old car, after which you should receive an approval letter from the Scrap-It program. With that in hand you can drop your old car off at the drop location as soon as you're ready to let it go. Once you've bought a new car they'll want the info from that car, and a copy of the purchase agreement. Last step is to actually drop your car off. It's a bit of a process and you need to make sure the dealership is following along, but well worth it.

While I can't say for sure, I believe the Scrap-It allowance for a new EV will drop back down to $3250 after the 500 allotments are gone so it's not like you won't get any money. Good luck with your order, hope you get a speedy delivery!

P.S. If you don't mind me asking, which dealership did you order through?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thank you very much for the info. I think I'll delay my application until the last minute and see what happens. I purchased the car through Carter GM in Burnaby. I live in the valley but most dealerships had very few allocations. Two of these dealers referred me to Carter.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Still surprised by the low allocations and to make matters worse if there's some problem found before taking delivery, it just makes the entire process worse but better to deal with issues then. On that note, make sure you guys inspect your bolts before taking delivery.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I ordered mine from Dueck on Marine in Vancouver, BC on December 2nd and there is still no sign of it arriving.
Where did you order yours from and when did you order it.
I was told that I was one of the first orders from Dueck.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV LT
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I also live out in the Valley (Abbotsford), so if you see a Kinetic Blue bolt on HWY 1 driving to/from Langley that'll be me hahaha.

I contacted Carter GM Burnaby in the summer time and expressed interest in purchasing the car. I think it was late August I got a call saying that they had 10 allocations in Burnaby and 10 in Vancouver, and that they were taking orders and deposits. I was in the same day placing an order, a tough job when you can't see the car in person to choose the color and don't even know what options are worth at that time hahaha. Took delivery at the end of Feb.

From what I've heard Carter GM (between their two locations) has by far the largest number of allocations in BC. My sales person told me early on that when the Spark EV came to BC there were only two brought in and they got both of them, so I knew early on that I'd sought out the right dealership for an early delivery of the Bolt.

·
Registered
7 Posts
So you bought yours from Carter as well?
I was told the same thing, they had a decent sized allotment. That's hilarious! I live in Chilliwack but work in west Abbotsford. Would it be weird if I offered to buy you a cup of coffee at High Street so I could take a look at it in the flesh? My curiosity is killing me:)

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV LT
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Not at all, I'd probably do the same if I were you. I'll fire you a PM with my cell no.

Update: So apparently I can't send you a PM because I don't have enough posts on the forum.... Pretty lame. Can you PM me with contact info outside of posting on the forum?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Crap! I can't either, not enough posts! Dumb!
I added you to my contacts and sent you a friend request. Maybe that helps...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts