Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

Registered
The factory cable is 14/3 and okay with 240V. We use a 25' 14/3 extension in the garage from a 240V welder socket with an adapter. No problems. All connections marked 240V because the extension end is regular 120V design.
When you add an extension the resistance goes up and the heat generated goes up. You can't just keep adding length of the same size wire and it works the same. That's why it's well advised to use an extension with larger conductors of 12 gauge at a minimum and 10 gauge if you want to be extra safe.

Also, 240V doesn't really matter. It's the current (amps) that causes heat and potential issues.

Registered
.... You said it was illegal, I asked you to cite a source. I see you can't, which is not a surprise to me.

As for your last one: given you can't cite a law it's disappointing you'd rather go to silly attempts at insults than admit you were mistaken. ....
OK, you got me! 馃槩
I can't site the 'law' that says "It's a bad idea to have 240V sitting there on a normal 120V outlet.",, waiting for mistakes to be made.
Maybe it's just common sense. Maybe someone in the home inspection or electrical contracting biz can site it.

Either way,
Go cheap.
Buy or make this MacGyver adapter.
Charge on 240V at 2.8kW !!
But have you seen how inexpensive it is to do it the correct, and SAFE way, with a proper L2 EVSE?
We had a three way 120 converted to a two way 240 by a licensed electrician and inspected by our building dept. Because the Bolt takes so few amps to charge, and the factory cable's only 14/3, there have been no problems with either Bolt.
I guess you are saying your building dept had a 120V outlet with both phases available and installed a proper 240V outlet.
Only the Bolt is capable of 32 A / 7.2 kW on 240V with the proper L2 EVSE. These do not cost that much.....
Yes, the stock EVSE has 14/3 cables and 12A / 2.8 kW may be fine for that.
But it sounds like you still have to use that dangerous, and suspected ;) illegal adapter. What does your 'building dept.' have to say about that adapter just hanging there, out in the breeze?

Again, I understand, Times are Tough.
I don't mean to insult. Just maybe shame! ;)

Registered
Tucson EV has a pretty good selection of options at a reasonable price. I have been dealing with them for a while. Great People.
If you don't see anything that you like, send them an email with what you are looking to do and they should be able to help.

Registered
OK, you got me! 馃槩
I can't site the 'law' that says "It's a bad idea to have 240V sitting there on a normal 120V outlet.",, waiting for mistakes to be made.
Maybe it's just common sense. Maybe someone in the home inspection or electrical contracting biz can site it.
But it sounds like you still have to use that dangerous, and suspected ;) illegal adapter. What does your 'building dept.' have to say about that adapter just hanging there, out in the breeze?

Again, I understand, Times are Tough.
I don't mean to insult. Just maybe shame! ;)
You do realize that nothing stopped GM from providing a NEMA 14-50 plug on the EVSE, and a 5-15 to 14-50 adapter? In fact, that's precisely what Nissan does. If you want someone to complain to, talk to GM.

(Also, if having 240V on a NEMA 5-15-plugged extension freaks you out, it's trivial to tie the adapter to the EVSE and just have a NEMA 14-50 extension cord to extend the reach. Lots of options).

Registered
1. providing a NEMA 14-50 plug on the EVSE, and a 5-15 to 14-50 adapter? In fact, that's precisely what Nissan does. ...

2. if having 240V on a NEMA 5-15-plugged extension freaks you out, it's trivial to tie the adapter to the EVSE .....
1. Right, one of my El'Cheapo 3.3kW dual-voltage EVSE came that way, with the safe adapter!
2. Right, tie them together with multiple Red Ty-Raps, and maybe add a Skull and Crossbones tag! :p

Registered
1. Right, one of my El'Cheapo 3.3kW dual-voltage EVSE came that way, with the safe adapter!
2. Right, tie them together with multiple Red Ty-Raps, and maybe add a Skull and Crossbones tag! :p

Nope. Use a properly designed lockout / tagout device to secure the adapter to your EVSE plug. If someone wants to pick the lock so they can plug a 110V device into your 240V adapter that is on them.

Keith

Registered
Nope... If someone wants to pick the lock so they can plug a 110V device into your 240V adapter that is on them.
Yep, that's what I'm talking about!
Let's say, you 'bought the farm'.
Your niece comes over to help the widow clean out your messy garage.
She plugs a shop vac into this outlet she found and Ka--Pow! The shop vac is on fire after blowing up!
That was all her fault? :mad:

Registered
What does your 'building dept.' have to say about that adapter just hanging there, out in the breeze?
I never let mine sit out in the breeze. The EVSE is always plugged into it. In 2019 I had a licensed electrician and a building inspector in my garage to install and inspect my geothermal system. Car was right there plugged in the whole time. Not a peep out of anyone. My first home had only one outlet in the whole garage, I could see someone hunting for a plugin in that situation. My current house, there's at least five outlets to choose from.

Registered
.... In 2019 I had a licensed electrician and a building inspector in my garage to install and inspect my geothermal system. Car was right there plugged in the whole time. Not a peep out of anyone. .....
Just to beat this ol'horse a little more..... :rolleyes:

Isn't this is not an approval by omission.
What if you unplugged your EVSE from that MacGyver and asked the inspector what he thought about you having 240V on this here 120V outlet, sir?

Registered
She plugs a shop vac into this outlet she found and Ka--Pow! The shop vac is on fire after blowing up!
You missed a step.

She disables an electrical lockout device to gain access to a plug that's connected by a different adapter.

I think you being way over dramatic here. First it's human nature to not unplug unfamiliar devices. Second if someone is going to unplug a device, they almost always unplug from the wall unless it's clearly an extension cord. Someone who is unfamiliar with the setup won't even have the thought that there's a 120V 5-15 receptacle somewhere in that setup (14-50/14-30/6-50/6-30 on the wall, adapter from wall to 6-20, adapter from 6-20 to 5-15, EVSE plugged into 5-15).

ga2500ev

Registered
You missed a step.

She disables an electrical lockout device to gain access to a plug that's connected by a different adapter.
Roll over horse,,,, here we go again... :LOL:

How many of these homegrown MacGyvers have "lockout devices"? What are these devices exactly?
How many are just ordinary looking extension cords, with the stock EVSE plugged into the end with the 240V on it?

Yes, I am adding drama. It's fun!
And so is a box fan or shop vac running a double speed! Until somebody gets hurt.

Registered
Roll over horse,,,, here we go again... :LOL:

How many of these homegrown MacGyvers have "lockout devices"? What are these devices exactly?
How many are just ordinary looking extension cords, with the stock EVSE plugged into the end with the 240V on it?

Yes, I am adding drama. It's fun!
And so is a box fan or shop vac running a double speed! Until somebody gets hurt.
It doesn't matter how many do or do not have the devices. @Fivedoor specifically pointed it out in his discussion and you simply dismissed it. It looks like this:

It's literally a box to contain the cable and can be locked with a padlock. This particular on is on Amazon and runs about $14.

People play stupid games and win stupid prizes all the time. Anyone that makes a reasonable attempt to secure a dangerous device and someone else deliberately circumvents it gets what they deserve.

ga2500ev

Registered
.... someone else deliberately circumvents it gets what they deserve.
Harsh words for someone just trying to clean up your messy garage after you're gone.:cry:
I don't think the niece deserve it.

And, as I said, how many of these MacGyver Adapters are 'secured' safely? :unsure:

Registered
Anybody else notice that the OP left 4 days ago?

I considered the 240v option with the stock charger but decided that it's just not worth the risk, no matter how small. Sure, I could put a locking cover on it and it would be effective... at the time. But things change over time, sometimes in unexpected ways. Let's say I die in a few years (no applause!) and my wife sells my car, along with the EVSE that she unlocks and unplugs. Not being directly involved in the setting up of the plug for the EVSE I wouldn't expect her to remember me telling her about the 240v power on the circuit. Then one day she plugs in a vacuum to clean her car and a little while later the garage and house are engulfed in flames. Not likely to happen, but it's possible and there are many other scenarios that are also unlikely, but possible.

So I'm putting in a 6-20 weather resistant outlet with a weather-proof in-use cover on a dedicated circuit protected by a GFCI breaker and buying a 16 amp EVSE that plugs directly into the 6-20 outlet for $160. Now, if I want to take the EVSE with me I just unplug it and have no worries about possible misuse of the outlet.

Registered
I think you might be seeing the connection from the wrong side. The receptacle in the wall is all correct. The 5-15 plug from the EVSE is correct. It's all about the adapter to go from that legal receptacle to the legal 5-15 plug to exploit a known feature of the brick. Are people leaving THAT adapter in the legal receptacle and unplugging the EVSE 5-15 from it? I would hope not. That's what that product above is for. To lock the adapter to the 5-15 plug so as to avoid anybody attempting to use the adapter for any other purpose.

Registered
Just bought my first EV, a 2017 Bolt, that will be arriving soon. I was planning on mostly charging at the stations at my work as I heard using an extension cable was not recommended. I live in a townhome (no garage) that has a 110 outdoor outlet that would be about 30 feet away from the bolt. Unfortunately, I saw the charging cable that comes with it is 25 feet so I was considering getting an extension cable. Does anyone have a recommendation for the type of extension cable to use? This site recommended a J-1772 extension cord like this one but other threads on this forum recommended more simple ones (like this one or this one).

Are you comfortable with using an extension cable on a 110V outlet to charge your Bolt? Can it be a regular extension cable or should I go for the J-1772 type? Also, is rain an issue when charging with an extension cable?
Yes. Feel free to use an extension cord. Make sure it's a 30 amp 10/2 extension cord so it can carry the load over the distance of the cord. It will get warm at the 12amp setting so make sure it's all unraveled. This is what I use and I bought a wire wheel to roll it up nicely to be able to carry it in the car.

Registered
If she PICKS THE LOCK on the Lockout / Tagout plug guard then YES.

Keith

Registered
If she PICKS THE LOCK on the Lockout / Tagout plug guard then YES.
Hey Horse,,,,

'Picks the Lock'. (Cue the suspenseful drama music!) :sneaky:
Once again, how many MacGyver Adapters have anything keeping that dangerous ordinary (Looking) 120V outlet safely locked?

Look, fellow cheapskates, I understand not wanting to spend a few bucks and getting a proper and SAFE L2.
But maybe this is the one place where you could open that dusty old moth eaten billfold and spend (?) $160 for a real L2 and get 3.8kW charging. Or go crazy and buy a 7.2Kw L2!!!:oops:

Registered
Hey Horse,,,,

'Picks the Lock'. (Cue the suspenseful drama music!) :sneaky:
Once again, how many MacGyver Adapters have anything keeping that dangerous ordinary (Looking) 120V outlet safely locked?

Look, fellow cheapskates, I understand not wanting to spend a few bucks and getting a proper and SAFE L2.
But maybe this is the one place where you could open that dusty old moth eaten billfold and spend (?) $160 for a real L2 and get 3.8kW charging. Or go crazy and buy a 7.2Kw L2!!!:oops:
That's simple: it's wasteful. It makes absolutely no sense to have a perfectly functional EVSE that comes with the car rendered useless simply because it has the limiting connector on the end.

ga2500ev

21 - 40 of 52 Posts