Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Bolt EV
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I park outdoors, near but behind my house. So far, I think I need to have a NEMA 14-50 220V outlet installed on the back of my house, then charge with a portable charger.

Is this a good plan? What's a good, dependable charger that will fill my needs, hopefully relatively inexpensively - and work outdoors?

Thanks. I got a really sweet deal, this car is loaded, and I'm thrilled.

Car Land vehicle Vehicle Wheel Tire

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Premier w/ Sun n Sound
104 Posts
I park outdoors, near but behind my house. So far, I think I need to have a NEMA 14-50 220V outlet installed on the back of my house, then charge with a portable charger.

Is this a good plan? What's a good, dependable charger that will fill my needs, hopefully relatively inexpensively - and work outdoors?

Thanks. I got a really sweet deal, this car is loaded, and I'm thrilled.

View attachment 38369
Congrats. You'll probably get a ton of suggestions because there are a ton of good EVSE's and they all have different benefits. You'll need to do some research to see what check boxes each one fills for you. For me, I chose the Elmec brand units EVduty electric vehicle charging stations by ELMEC – EVduty store because they are 32A units so perfect for this type of receptacle and I have two of them on the same circuit, one indoor and one outdoor for our two vehicles. The two of them communicate via WIFI so I can charge both vehicles without tripping a breaker. It saved me installing a second dedicated circuit. I am sure there are other brands that do the same thing. These guys are easy to deal with and the website was easy to use. They were helpful providing advice on setting them up. Enjoy.

Reactions: snoid

·
Registered
2018 Bolt EV
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
... I am sure there are other brands that do the same thing. These guys are easy to deal with and the website was easy to use. They were helpful providing advice on setting them up. Enjoy.
Thanks! I'm looking for a dependable, but low-cost solution, which is why I'm wanting to use a portable charger plugged into the back of my house, vs a charging station. Is there much of a benefit, with a station?

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Premier w/ Sun n Sound
104 Posts
Thanks! I'm looking for a dependable, but low-cost solution, which is why I'm wanting to use a portable charger plugged into the back of my house, vs a charging station. Is there much of a benefit, with a station?
That is exactly what these are...plug into a 14-50 outlet. They do have a bracket so that you can mount them to the wall. The first trick to these things is to remember they are not chargers they are technically called an EVSE which is really a glorified plug adapter to you and me and it supplies power to the car. The charger is onboard your Bolt.

Reactions: snoid

·
Registered
5,547 Posts
beautiful and simple. Is it dangerous?
the adapter could be dangerous to an unsuspecting soul if left plugged in where one can access the 5-15 outlet while still energized with 240 volts. i.e. your yard guy tries to plug in their weed wacker to it. wouldn't hurt to tape the connectors together to discourage others from trying. I made my own adapter that I was able to zip tie it to the Bolt's charge cord.

also make sure that you actually got the right charge cord with your car. there was one case that someone sold their Bolt with an old charge cord from an early Volt that can't handle 240V.

·
Registered
2020 Bolt EV LT
201 Posts
most days I go nowhere, some days it's to the store, so maybe 8-10 miles. Doctor visit, 40 miles, tops. Occasional 30-40 mile R/T for a visit.
You don't NEED a 240V outlet (I know you WANT one). Your charging needs are easily covered with a 120V outlet at 12 amps. With that outlet and the EVSE that came with the car, you can add 50+ miles of range in 10 hours. Do that every night, and you've added 350 miles of range in a week. And you'll probably be fully charged (well, 90% based on current guidance from GM) every morning.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I totally agree that your use is well served by the 120VAC OEM evse.

There are a number of evse's from various sub-brands sold that are made in one factory. They tend to be 16 amp 240 VAC models that would be the least expensive way assuming you have 240VAC outlet near where you want to charge.

I installed my own hardwired 32 amp evse but you have to know how to be safe and some online calculations to see if your situation can be used.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Don't buy a cheap no-name charger from Amazon. They've been trouble. You could use a portable like a turbo cord, or from another OEM, like one from a new Nissan, they have 14-50s and go 30 amps, and the Mach E ships with a portable that does 32 amps or so with a 14-50 plug.

Seriously though, search "melted charge port" on this forum. There's a bunch of out-of-spec plugs going around that either don't latch or overheat because of quality control issues. Price out a new charge port, then forget about a cut rate charger. Cheap or good, but not both.

You can also buy an adapter for the stock charger that came with the Bolt and run it at 220V, but it only does 12 amps. This is your best, least expensive options, and way less sketchy than an Amazon special.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts