Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is BS ! Now I can't charge my battery to full ??? So now I can't have 240 Miles of Charge?
I should be PAID a refund for buying a car with 240 miles and only being able to use 90% of that.
I am so beyond pissed about this car... along with all my other issues.

And Gee, why don't they just do the OTA update ?? Isn't that something they touted about having?
Never again will I buy another Chevy, and I Do Love this car for the 1 pedal driving and how far I can go on a FULL charge.

I see a future Lawsuit over this

11/13/2020
Manufacturer Safety recall issued
NHTSA #20V701
Recall #N202311730
HIGH VOLTAGE BATTERY MAY MELT OR BURN
-------
November 13, 2020 NHTSA Campaign Number: 20V701000
High Voltage Battery May Catch Fire
A battery fire increases the risk of injury.

NHTSA Campaign Number: 20V701000

Manufacturer General Motors LLC

Components ELECTRICAL SYSTEM

Potential Number of Units Affected 50,932

Summary

General Motors LLC (GM) is recalling all 2017-2018 and certain 2019 Chevrolet Bolt EV vehicles. The high voltage battery could catch fire when charged to full or nearly full capacity.

Remedy

GM will notify owners, and as an interim repair, beginning on November 17, 2020, dealers will reprogram the hybrid propulsion control module 2 (HPCM2) to limit the full charge to 90%, free of charge. Owners are advised to activate either the Hill Top Reserve (2017 and 2018 models) or Target Charge Level (2019 models) feature in their vehicle to limit the charge level to 90%, or park outside, until the software update is completed. The final remedy is still under development. Owners will be notified of the interim repair beginning November 23, 2020. A second notice will be mailed when the final repair becomes available. Owners may contact the Bolt EV Concierge Team at 1-833-382-4389. GM's number for this recall is N202311730.

Notes

Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.

3 Affected Products
Vehicle

MAKEMODELYEAR
CHEVROLETBOLT EV2017-2019

2 Associated Documents

1 Associated Investigation
EV Battery Fire
NHTSA ID:
PE20016
Dated opened: October 9, 2020

The Office of Defects Investigation (ODI) of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has received two Vehicle Owner Questionnaires (VOQs) regarding a model year (MY) 2018 and a MY 2019 Chevrolet Bolt EV and alleging that the vehicles caught fire under the rear seat while parked and unattended.

ODI conducted additional research, and found a MY 2017 Bolt EV with a similar burn pattern in the interior rear seat area.

In the three cases identified, fire damage appeared to be concentrated in the EV battery compartment area with penetration into the passenger compartment from under the rear seat. The root cause of these fires is unknown. One of these incidents, ODI 11230072, reported smoke inhalation injuries.

ODI is opening a Preliminary Evaluation to assess the scope, frequency, circumstances, and safety consequences of the alleged fires.

The reports cited above can be reviewed at NHTSA.gov under the following reference numbers: 11230072, 11339878.

·
Registered
989 Posts
There is another thread about it with almost 400 replies. I expected some people will get "riled up" about it... Especially if it's Your only car and You have a long commute (or no access to a home / work charger).

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is another thread about it with almost 400 replies. I expected some people will get "riled up" about it... Especially if it's Your only car and You have a long commute (or no access to a home / work charger).
I know there are 2 other threads, now as no one has posted the actual Recall, numbers or NHTSA number.
I started this in the CORRECT Section since it is actually a new RECALL, not just discussion over if someone should be worried. No one posted what I did, so no one should be upset for this thread to be posted.

Everyone should be riled up if they can not use the car as it was Sold to them.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Actually, the text of the recall was posted in the other thread but you have to hunt for it. Nobody is upset you posted it again, but the original post "GM is issuing a recall based on the fires" seems to cover all the keywords you think are missing. Posted on 11/13 by NewsColoumb. The terms of this recall are only temporary for your safety and most likely will not be the final solution. You can also set your Bolt to 90% or hilltop reserve and save a trip to the dealer. If you absolutely need to charge to 100% you should do it outside. GM is also making arrangements with people who need the full range every day for loaner cars or gas reimbursement but you need to reach out to them.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I commiserate with you.
I was mad as **** yesterday but that has moderated to simply pissed off today.
It throws a monkey wrench into my planning.
Should I invest $ in wheels and snow tires for a car I would want to unload as soon as practicable. The most probable fix is a software hack that either increases the time to charge or permanently cuts the max kWh.
The value has been ruined at least short term so the trade ups to something else I had been thinking about to on the back burner.

·
Registered
18 Posts
All right, this is the time to bombard Chevrolet and General Motors with requests to finally update the old software for Chevy Bolts to get new features like separate AC and heat buttons and get rid of the many bugs, like blank screens. Funny that now they can do it, but they gave me the run around for more than two years :confused:, everyone should tweet, email or post on their Facebook pages! I am still at version 14.5....
here's what I posted yesterday on Twitter:
"@chevrolet @GM , so you CAN update the software for Chevy Bolts 2017, a 1st after more than 2 years! Gee, thanks? NOT 🧐 A battery fire🔥 danger😱! But maybe you can now update its software and provide mere mortals with new features and bug fixes🤓 More bugs pics coming, though😇 "

·
Registered
989 Posts
Everyone should be riled up if they can not use the car as it was Sold to them.
Yes I am right now a Little upset. A couple of things that are tempering things and causing me not to get more upset YET.
#1. My circumstances I only drive local and not as many miles as I thought I would (life circumstances changed and caused me to drive less for the foreseeable future).
#2. I have been Lucky I have over 20k miles and have not had 1 significant problem. Literally I have had tires rotated (for free) and replaced washer fluid and a rear wiper blade and that's been it!
Lin, I read up above that You have already had the complete pack replaced once... That must've certainly been a hassle and if I was in Your shoes my disposition would be less forgiving about how GM handles it next. I would certainly hope a 66 Kwh hour pack and further extension on warranty 10 years total or complete warranty reset (8 year and 100 k from time of install of the newest pack would be in order) COST SHOULD = FREE. It's ultimately Your business but do You feel comfortable on telling us here how You are going to proceed? For me I'm okay with waiting and seeing what GM will do (for the time being). If nothing happens by early 2021 I might be more disposed to taking some kind of action (social media griping / videos etc.).

·
Registered
387 Posts
Forgot to mention, I was one of the (un)Lucky ones that had the total battery replacement back when that first started....
My battery was replaced after 2 months too. I just got stranded on a week-long vacation because of a 12V battery problem that I suspect may come back. Even so, I'd say don't fly off the handle just yet.

Nothing has changed from last week, other than official recognition and CYA maneuvers. I set the charge max to 90% for now, but I'd still set it to 100% before a trip, so I'm not missing anything. I'm not getting the recall firmware installed yet. Let's give GM some time, and fly off the handle only if they botch the non-technical aspects of it. One thing's for certain -- they're not going to spend $700M replacing everyone's battery with 66 kWh. Technically they can claim degradation is not covered under warranty until 60%, but they won't because there will be some technical or political resolution with less backlash.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I think it is time to chill. The chance of a fire is miniscule. I'm sure that never kept you from using your ICEV. A fix will be available in a few months. I would encourage people to live in walkable environments to dispense with most car travel. I will continue to charge to 100% when needed for longer trips, and I'm not worried about a fire. A fire in the kitchen is much more likely.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Chevy did not have to issue a recall. They did this on a voluntary basis. I am reserving judgement until they come out with the fix. If they can allow me to charge to full in a safe way in a reasonable timeframe I will be a happy with GM.

·
Registered
2019 Bolt built June 10th. 66kWh battery?
67 Posts
This is BS ! Now I can't charge my battery to full ??? So now I can't have 240 Miles of Charge?
I should be PAID a refund for buying a car with 240 miles and only being able to use 90% of that.
I am so beyond pissed about this car... along with all my other issues.

And Gee, why don't they just do the OTA update ?? Isn't that something they touted about having?
Never again will I buy another Chevy, and I Do Love this car for the 1 pedal driving and how far I can go on a FULL charge.

I see a future Lawsuit over this

11/13/2020
Manufacturer Safety recall issued
NHTSA #20V701
Recall #N202311730
HIGH VOLTAGE BATTERY MAY MELT OR BURN
-------
November 13, 2020 NHTSA Campaign Number: 20V701000
High Voltage Battery May Catch Fire
A battery fire increases the risk of injury.

NHTSA Campaign Number: 20V701000

Manufacturer General Motors LLC

Components ELECTRICAL SYSTEM

Potential Number of Units Affected 50,932

Summary

General Motors LLC (GM) is recalling all 2017-2018 and certain 2019 Chevrolet Bolt EV vehicles. The high voltage battery could catch fire when charged to full or nearly full capacity.

Remedy

GM will notify owners, and as an interim repair, beginning on November 17, 2020, dealers will reprogram the hybrid propulsion control module 2 (HPCM2) to limit the full charge to 90%, free of charge. Owners are advised to activate either the Hill Top Reserve (2017 and 2018 models) or Target Charge Level (2019 models) feature in their vehicle to limit the charge level to 90%, or park outside, until the software update is completed. The final remedy is still under development. Owners will be notified of the interim repair beginning November 23, 2020. A second notice will be mailed when the final repair becomes available. Owners may contact the Bolt EV Concierge Team at 1-833-382-4389. GM's number for this recall is N202311730.

Notes

Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.

3 Affected Products
Vehicle

MAKEMODELYEAR
CHEVROLETBOLT EV2017-2019

2 Associated Documents

1 Associated Investigation
EV Battery Fire
NHTSA ID:
PE20016
Dated opened: October 9, 2020

The Office of Defects Investigation (ODI) of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has received two Vehicle Owner Questionnaires (VOQs) regarding a model year (MY) 2018 and a MY 2019 Chevrolet Bolt EV and alleging that the vehicles caught fire under the rear seat while parked and unattended.

ODI conducted additional research, and found a MY 2017 Bolt EV with a similar burn pattern in the interior rear seat area.

In the three cases identified, fire damage appeared to be concentrated in the EV battery compartment area with penetration into the passenger compartment from under the rear seat. The root cause of these fires is unknown. One of these incidents, ODI 11230072, reported smoke inhalation injuries.

ODI is opening a Preliminary Evaluation to assess the scope, frequency, circumstances, and safety consequences of the alleged fires.

The reports cited above can be reviewed at NHTSA.gov under the following reference numbers: 11230072, 11339878.
If anyone figures out how to "review the reports cited above under 11230072, 11339878" please post

·
Registered
2019 Bolt built June 10th. 66kWh battery?
67 Posts
If anyone figures out how to "review the reports cited above under 11230072, 11339878" please post
I found the reports. GJetson posted them 3 months ago. Both happened in July, one this year (2020), one last year (2019). Massachusetts and Virginia:
There was a fire in Ukraine that burned the car to the ground. Given that no Bolts were shipped to Ukraine by GM, it hard to say what the cause was.

https://www.reddit.com/r/BoltEV/comments/d89qyo
The only others I am aware of are hhh's,

July 17, 2020 NHTSA ID NUMBER: 11339878
Components: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM

NHTSA ID Number: 11339878
Incident Date July 4, 2020
Consumer Location VIENNA, VA
Vehicle Identification Number 1G1FZ6S06K4****
Summary of Complaint
CRASHNo
FIREYes
INJURIES0
DEATHS0
MY 2019 CHEVY BOLT WAS FULLY CHARGED AND DRIVEN FOR 12 MILES TO OUR DESTINATION, A TOWNHOUSE DEVELOPMENT WITH PRIVATE OUTDOOR OPEN PARKING. WE ARRIVED AROUND 7:30PM, PARKED IT AND TURNED IT OFF. 20 MINS LATER A NEIGHBOR RANG OUR DOORBELL BECAUSE THERE WAS 20 FOOT HIGH HEAVY WHITE/GRAY SMOKE CLOUD COMING OUT THE BACK OF THE CAR. I CALLED 911 AND FIREFIGHTERS DOUSED THE CAR WITH WATER FOR AN HOUR AFTER SMASHING THE REAR WINDOW TO GET ACCESS TO THE SMOKING AREA.THEY LEFT, LESS THAN AN HOUR LATER I CALLED 911 AGAIN B/C THE SMOKE RESTARTED. SMOLDERING WAS SO HOT IT PARTLY BURNED THE BACKSEAT. ONCE THE CAR WAS COOL ENOUGH IT WAS TOWED TO THE DEALERSHIP WHERE IT WAS ORIGINALLY PURCHASED. THERE IT BEGAN TO SMOKE AGAIN. 911 WAS CALLED AND FIREFIGHTERS PUT OUT THE SMOKE ONCE AGAIN. THIS TIME THE SMOKE WAS SMALL AND STARTED ON THE AREA WHERE THE BACKSEAT WAS PREVIOUSLY LOCATED; MINUTES LATER THE SAME HEAVY SMOKE CAME OUT FAST FROM UNDERNEATH THE FRONT PASSENGER SIDE. THE POLICE WERE THERE TO WITNESS THAT INCIDENT. IT WAS AROUND MIDNIGHT THEN.

3 SPONTANEOUS COMBUSTIONS IN 4 HOURS; DOOR CAMERA VIDEOS DIDN?T PICK UP MOVEMENT BETWEEN OUR ARRIVAL AND THE NEIGHBOR RINGING THE BELL; ONSTAR REPORTS DON?T SHOW ANYTHING ELECTRICALLY WRONG WITH THE CAR; NO ALTERATIONS HAD BEEN MADE TO IT; AND THE DASHBOARD DIDN?T SHOW ANY WARNINGS DURING THAT ONE LAST TRIP. BASED ON THE ABOVE, I BELIEVE THE PROBLEM WAS A HIGH VOLTAGE BATTERY RUNAWAY THERMAL EVENT.

EVEN THOUGH THE CAR IS STILL UNDER GM?S WARRANTY, THEY REFUSE TO INVESTIGATE BECAUSE WE CALLED OUR INSURANCE FIRST INSTEAD OF GM (PER GM?S PRODUCT ASSISTANCE CLAIM TEAM). THE CAR IS CURRENTLY AT AIIA AND GM COULD GO INVESTIGATE. BUT THEY WON?T. HOW MANY OTHER BOLTS ARE SPONTANEOUSLY COMBUSTING AND PEOPLE GETTING HURT? HOW MANY WILL IT TAKE FOR GM TO CARE? THIS CAR?S DAMAGE LOOKS SIMILAR TO MINE (?LOSS: FIRE?)

and two she found. The one for sale in Florida, that appeared to have the identical problem.

And the one from a NHTSA filing.

July 8, 2019 NHTSA ID NUMBER: 11230072
Components: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM

NHTSA ID Number: 11230072
Incident Date March 17, 2019
Consumer Location BELMONT, MA
Vehicle Identification Number 1G1FW6S06J4****
Summary of Complaint
CRASHNo
FIREYes
INJURIES0
DEATHS0
ON MARCH 17, 2019 AT APPROXIMATELY 3:45P.M., WE PARKED THE BOLT IN THE DRIVEWAY OF OUR HOME. WE EXITED THE BOLT AND PLUGGED IT INTO OUR JUICEBOX (LEVEL 2) CHARGER AS USUAL. AT APPROXIMATELY 5:00 PM, WE WERE ALERTED THAT THE BOLT WAS ON FIRE. WE DISCOVERED SMOKE BILLOWING OUT OF THE REAR OF THE BOLT AND THE BOLT APPARENTLY COMBUSTING FROM WITHIN IN THE AREA OF THE BATTERY CELLS. THE FIRE DEPARTMENT WAS CONTACTED AND TOOK APPROXIMATELY 3 HOURS TO CONTROL THE FIRE AND SMOKE. THE FIRE DEPARTMENT EVACUATED US, OUR DOWNSTAIRS NEIGHBORS, AND BOTH UNITS OF THE HOME NEXT DOOR DURING THE FIRE. THE FUMES FROM THE BURNING MATERIALS WAS SO THICK AND NOXIOUS IT PERMEATED OUR HOME, REQUIRING PROFESSIONAL CLEANING. WE EXPERIENCED HEADACHES FOLLOWING CONTACT WITH THE SMOKE. THE BOLT IS A TOTAL LOSS. IT TOOK CHEVY A FEW DAYS TO RESPOND TO OUR CLAIM. EVENTUALLY CHEVY SENT TWO ENGINEERS FROM DETROIT TO OUR DRIVEWAY TO INSPECT THE JUICE BOX. CHEVY PURCHASED THE CAR FROM THE INSURANCE COMPANY.

·
Registered
717 Posts
You don’t have to get the firmware. Just reprogram the charge setting to stop at 90%.
Easy.

·
Registered
106 Posts
The battery warranty is only 100,000 miles. If you are driving a car over 240 miles a day you will be over the warranty mileage limit in about 1 year and 2 month. Seeing how this is still new technology it would be a good idea to stay below the warranty limits. Engineers can simulate frequency and iterations, time is more difficult. The cause of this could be a manufacturing error, a part failure or a connection that failed. Sometimes parts fail I believe engineers call it early life failure. They probably are not all going to flame out. But I am parking mine outside!

·
Registered
663 Posts
I knew that when I bought the Bolt that Chevy had a bad reputation for reliability. I had been buying import ICE cars for the last 30 years. I thought I'd give Chevy a chance in the electric car world. Well, this is their first real challange, and we'll see how they do with solving it. I see it as a make or break opportunity for them. If they screw this up with the public, it will likely lead to their demise as a car manufacturer, and I'll never buy an American make car again...

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just came back from the local Chevrolet dealership - they had no guidance (yet) from GM on how to perform the software update that limits charing to 90%. Of course I set "Hilltop reserve" but I would have expected GM to have at least provided the updates to the dealers at the time the recall was issued. Pretty much just wasted an hour of my time after having made this appointment through the Chevy app on my phone.

In any case, the service people at the dealer said GM will release more information tomorrow (about this). We shall see.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
The battery warranty is only 100,000 miles. If you are driving a car over 240 miles a day you will be over the warranty mileage limit in about 1 year and 2 month. Seeing how this is still new technology it would be a good idea to stay below the warranty limits. Engineers can simulate frequency and iterations, time is more difficult. The cause of this could be a manufacturing error, a part failure or a connection that failed. Sometimes parts fail I believe engineers call it early life failure. They probably are not all going to flame out. But I am parking mine outside!
The whole thing that makes EVs economical is putting those extreme miles on them, and the reason to own the vehicle is to use it. I'd have no problem exceeding the warranty miles knowing I am saving a boatload of money in the process compared to driving an ICE. If there is a safety recall, that will apply to all owners regardless if they are under warranty or not.

It's the people who are putting very few miles on their EVs that will probably never break even on the cost compared to ICE counterparts.

1 - 20 of 138 Posts