Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

81 - 100 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Is it GM or LG Korea that would bear the majority of the expense for the fix?

I’ve never seen anybody say exactly what it was that was wrong, and it’s clear that their reaction was to switch to US-made batteries.

So I can’t help wondering whether it’s the Korean part of LG that might have to bear the expense, if it’s a big expense.

·
Registered
112 Posts
service providers, utilities and large private organizations don't disclose the cause system problems to customers. Think of the telephone company. The customer gets an apology, a fix and assurances that it won't happen again. Maybe a discount or free something. But, I doubt that they'll exactly what caused the problem unless they can be 110% assured that it won't cause additional liability. So in must cases, why take the chance and say anything? Focus on the fact that's it's fixed and blah blah blah.

·
1,619 Posts
Is it GM or LG Korea that would bear the majority of the expense for the fix?

I’ve never seen anybody say exactly what it was that was wrong, and it’s clear that their reaction was to switch to US-made batteries.

So I can’t help wondering whether it’s the Korean part of LG that might have to bear the expense, if it’s a big expense.
They are partners, in both Korea and Michigan. If GM wants to keep a happy supplier, they would:

a. Never point fingers at LG. Reality is, we don't really need to know root cause, we just need reassurances that the "final" solution is effective.
b. Work towards a mutually agreeable solution. This might mean sharing costs.

As a company outsources manufacturing, they have an obligation to perform quality checks to assure management, investors, customers that the manufacturing is performed with minimal defect rates. It is GM's name on the label people buy, so it is GM's reputation that takes heat if a supplier fails.

If there is a replacement plan, it would likely involve financial investments from both. GM would be on the hook for labor, but both would likely share the cost of manufacturing replacement parts.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Are you speculating, or did they actually state this?
Even if the customer service rep who contacting him actually said it, or even put it in writing, it's unlikely that the rep really knows what's going on in the engineering and product support teams.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Are you speculating, or did they actually state this?
This is what was said to me. Please note that this is not "verbatim" but very close to what I've been told.

Now, I do agree with other commenters that GM is very likely torn appart between cost/liability decision - expensive battery replacement or risk of fire for clients.

Oh, and I forgot... or having to tell owners that the 90% charge limit would remain - which I would never accept BTW.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I just emailed with "[email protected]". They offered a loner and GM pays for gas until April when the fix will be available but they couldn't yet say what the fix will be. Or do a buy back and/or get "another substantially similar vehicle" without the battery problem I trust. They've requested copies of some papers and they'll hook me up with a local dealer to look at the car they have once I select a vehicle they'll tell me of the deal, will see.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just emailed with "[email protected]". They offered a loner and GM pays for gas until April when the fix will be available but they couldn't yet say what the fix will be. Or do a buy back and/or get "another substantially similar vehicle" without the battery problem I trust. They've requested copies of some papers and they'll hook me up with a local dealer to look at the car they have once I select a vehicle they'll tell me of the deal, will see.
Hi! Any updates on this?

·
Registered
112 Posts
I can tell you that GM wanted proof of ownership and then asked me to select another Bolt at a local dealer ship. I felt no need to go to the dealership since I can see their inventory on-line, they didn't have the Bolt that I wanted. I found a Blue Bolt like mine at a different dealership and I sent GM the VIN number. They contacted me last week by email to learn exactly what my mileage was on my current Bolt. I expect some communications from them this week or next, we'll see. The wheels seem to be turning albeit slowly and where those wheels will take us is still a mystery. I'l post when I know something definitively.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I can tell you that GM wanted proof of ownership and then asked me to select another Bolt at a local dealer ship. I felt no need to go to the dealership since I can see their inventory on-line, they didn't have the Bolt that I wanted. I found a Blue Bolt like mine at a different dealership and I sent GM the VIN number. They contacted me last week by email to learn exactly what my mileage was on my current Bolt. I expect some communications from them this week or next, we'll see. The wheels seem to be turning albeit slowly and where those wheels will take us is still a mystery. I'l post when I know something definitively.
Thank you and best of luck!

·
Registered
112 Posts
So today I have an appointment at a Chevy dealer to return (they are repurchasing) my 2017 Bolt. I'll post my experiences in my dealings with Chevy and the outcome of the process. I'll also post my opinion of what Chevy is doing and why. Appointment is this afternoon, I plan to post this evening after the deal is consummated.

·
Registered
112 Posts
This afternoon I picked up a check and left my little beautiful 2017 blue Bolt Premier at Chevy dealer. As promised, here's my story which starts at the end of February when I contacted GM Concierge at their advertised toll free number. Let me lay a bit of valuable foundation by stating that I bought my Bolt used at the end of September 2019 with about 22,190 miles for $24,500 + tax + registration = $27,300. Today when I dropped it off the odometer was at 36,067 and the check was for $24,689. That's a little less than 5.4 cents per miles over a 19 month ownership. Trouble free with the exception of the battery recall and am quite happy with the performance the vehicle overall. It's not perfect, I'd like to see a few improvements, but a great value for the compromises. So I called the Concierge on late Feb and they call back within 2 days and left me a voice mail message indicating that they were trying to get in touch with me. I sensed something in the voice of the gal's voice message. I called back immediately and got the their voice mail message. I decide to document all contacts. They don't answer the phone, you got to leave a message. I decide escalate and obtained the Concierge email address and requested that she make all future contacts by email. She didn't, but I restated all of her voice message by email to have a readily accessible written record. She figured out I was documenting her on the second email and she became more responsive. I needed to provide pictures, copies of documents, my license, perhaps other reasonable documents she may have asked. Took a bit for her to confirm her receipt of all documents requested. And then informed me that my case was being forwarded to the repurchase team. I asked how long before contact would be forthcoming, she said a week. A week later I emailed her asking the status of my case. She asked me for the mileage on my car and I told her. Next day she emailed me saying my documents were being forwarded to repurchase team. I emailed back reminding her that she had stated that over a week ago and two days later I got a voice mail message from the repurchase team. He offered three options, wait until fix and we give you a loaner with free gas until it's fixed. Trade my Bolt in for a new Bolt or take the cash money. I went for the Bolt upgrade and selected a Bolt but not at the dealership hear me that they suggested since it didn't have what I wanted. Found what I wanted 34 miles away at another dealership and provide that VIN number. The deal was not acceptable, basically wanted my Bolt and another $16K or so for a new one. Was not appealing to be to spend another 16 thousand on a car when the one I had worked just fine. So I asked about the repurchase. Within 4 days I got a letter of offer and I accepted it. Another week went by when I got a call from a local dealer saying come in for an inspection and your check. The return process was mostly waiting and uneventful. It has a scratch on the side view mirror and they said that was fine. Now for my two cents, GM has no choice that to do what they are doing, their failure to correct a know safety problem with 30 days puts then well in the lemon law boundary. What they are doing is required by the lemon law which differs in every state and lucky for me it's pretty good for the consumer in California. The concierge has more balls in the air than willing to admit and the repurchase rep was extremely professional and unemotional. GM is doing nothing towards good will other than be a good citizen and follow the law, the lemon law in this case. BTW am planning on purchasing a 2019 Bolt with less than 10K miles with no battery problems for about the same price as I trade in the 2017 Bolt. So I don't feel hurt by this recall, frankly I would have been quite happy with the 2017 Bolt but when considering my options I figured seems like a good deal with little effort. BTW don't expect GM to inform you of what's going and how long it takes, you gotta ask a million questions and still not understand all the in/outs until the process is done.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I just picked up a 2019 Bolt (no battery recall in this one) for the same price that Chevy bought my 2017 Bolt. I guess I made out ok on this recall and with that I'll close this link :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just picked up a 2019 Bolt (no battery recall in this one) for the same price that Chevy bought my 2017 Bolt. I guess I made out ok on this recall and with that I'll close this link :)
Hi. I’m having trouble following this thread. Most people are saying they don’t want the software update and so it seems they just aren’t doing anything. But then you say you got a new car out of it? Please advise. I have a Chevy Bolt I purchased in January 2017, which is under this recall.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Here's the short version, GM repurchased the 2017, bought another Bolt but a 2019 with no battery recall. Details of the dollars and mileage are above your post.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm an owner of a 2019 Bolt with the battery recall, and today when I got home and checked my email, GM sent me this.
In November of last year, we notified you of a safety recall for your 2019 model year Chevy Bolt EV. We are pleased to let you know that the recall remedy is now available at your Chevrolet EV Dealer and that the remedy will be provided to you free of charge.​
As part of the service procedure, dealers will utilize GM‑developed diagnostic tools to identify potential battery anomalies and replace battery module assemblies as necessary. The remedy will also include the installation of advanced onboard diagnostic software into these vehicles that, among other things, has the ability to detect potential issues related to changes in battery module performance before problems can develop.​
Owners will need to visit their nearest participating Chevrolet EV dealer to have the remedy service procedure performed. Once the remedy procedure is completed, the dealer will remove the 90% state of charge limitation and return the battery to its previous 100% charging capability.​
Owners of a 2019 model year Chevrolet Bolt EV will be able to have this remedy performed starting on April 29.

I never charge above 75% anyway so I didn't get the temp fix, I'll wait and see if my dealer contacts me. If not I'll give them a call in a few weeks. Don't want to be without my car for the next few weeks.​

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
"‑developed diagnostic tools to identify potential battery anomalies and replace battery module assemblies as necessary"
The way this is worded does not make me very confident.
I'm still waiting for my $ amount they are offering me

·
Registered
5 Posts
Per here I see the "remedy service procedure" is available for 2019s starting on April 29, and "end of May" for 2017 and 2018.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Per here I see the "remedy service procedure" is available for 2019s starting on April 29, and "end of May" for 2017 and 2018.
That is odd. For some reason, the oldest Bolts, who you'd think might have the biggest chance of becoming a marshmallow roasting bonfire, will be put off for yet another month. Only the newest 2019 models under the recall can get the service right now.

"Customers of 2019 model year Chevrolet Bolt EVs will be able to have this remedy performed starting on April 29 and customers who own 2017 and 2018 model year Bolt EVs will be eligible to have the remedy performed by the end of May. "

Notable: .... The good news is, if you have a 2019, 20, or 21 Bolt not currently under The Recall, you can have the "fix" on-board battery diagnostic-warning software algorithms installed into your Flash memory on the car later this year or next year, last in line behind the Korean-made battery Bolts.
"We will also be making the advanced diagnostic software available to all other Bolt EV owners in the coming months. Additionally, we will be making this diagnostic software standard in the 2022 Bolt EV and EUV, as well as future GM electric vehicles. "

They need to make all the new clever fire-sentry algorithms available to the planet. Public. Everybody. This is fire safety.
I know the PhD researchers at NREL would love to examine the new algorithms & even get training seminars on them. It would advance the industry.
GM (Barra, r u listening?) needs to throw away it's sleazy behavior of the past, as they "promised" they would do when they screwed people out of their stock, when they got Federal Taxpayer $$ a few years ago in a bailout.

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
433 Posts
They need to make all the new clever fire-sentry algorithms available to the planet. Public. Everybody. This is fire safety. I know the PhD researchers at NREL would love to examine the new algorithms & even get training seminars on them. It would advance the industry.
It's nothing special. I doubt anyone at NREL is waiting with bated breath.

81 - 100 of 130 Posts