Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

121 - 130 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
'19 Bolt Premier; '13 Leaf SV w/premium
1,067 Posts
I think NHTSA will lose their patience after this weekend's fire.
Without any details, who knows?

Was the Bolt even the cause of the fire? Was its battery pack the cause? Was it the same cause as the other 5 identified Bolt battery fires? What was the battery's state of charge at the time? How long was it that SoC? Did it have the temp fix applied or was the max charge level limited to 90% or hill top reserve on? What model year was it? (All '17 and '18 were included in the recall but only a subset of '19 were.) Was it part of the recalled population?

·
Registered
113 Posts
I think NHTSA will lose their patience after this weekend's fire.
Well, GM did say to park it outside.

It does look like the Bolt started the fire. ------- Looking at the pictures in Electrek's article posted above, much of the wooden vertical studs near the lawnmower side on the right isn't blackened.
It was good no Bolts caught fire for about 9 months. GM gets credit for that. And of course we don't know for sure if the Bolt started the fire here, awaiting a fire investigation. The new fix was not applied as it wasn't out yet, or really only for a few days & few people even knew about it or were actually able to get a Bolt in to a service bay on appointment.

Electrek said in their article: """"Hyundai had a different problem, but opted to replace all their batteries instead of trying the software route. Perhaps GM should have done the same?""" ------Wait, Hyundai tried a software fix, and when more caught fire AFTER that fix was applied,THEN they replaced all the batteries. This Bolt very likely didn't have the fix, & it might not have even had the 90% charge-limit preliminary fix for all we know.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Looking at the pictures in Electrek's article posted above, much of the wooden vertical studs near the lawnmower side on the right isn't blackened.
I think just the opposite. It's a finished garage. The drywall on that side was so damaged by the fire that the water to put the fire out pulled down the the drywall, leaving the studs exposed.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Well, GM did say to park it outside.

It does look like the Bolt started the fire. ------- Looking at the pictures in Electrek's article posted above, much of the wooden vertical studs near the lawnmower side on the right isn't blackened.
It was good no Bolts caught fire for about 9 months. GM gets credit for that. And of course we don't know for sure if the Bolt started the fire here, awaiting a fire investigation. The new fix was not applied as it wasn't out yet, or really only for a few days & few people even knew about it or were actually able to get a Bolt in to a service bay on appointment.

Electrek said in their article: """"Hyundai had a different problem, but opted to replace all their batteries instead of trying the software route. Perhaps GM should have done the same?""" ------Wait, Hyundai tried a software fix, and when more caught fire AFTER that fix was applied,THEN they replaced all the batteries. This Bolt very likely didn't have the fix, & it might not have even had the 90% charge-limit preliminary fix for all we know.
GM said to park it outside if you refused to get the "fix" done. It was an either or if I remember correctly.

I'll await further information as well before coming to conclusions, but if the Bolt truly was the cause, and the "fix" was applied? Oh boy...

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
GM said to park it outside if you refused to get the "fix" done. It was an either or if I remember correctly.

I'll await further information as well before coming to conclusions, but if the Bolt truly was the cause, and the "fix" was applied? Oh boy...
I would not mind if GM tells me to return the 2019 for a 2022. I think all the accessories still fit. :)

Reactions: wonderbolt

·
Registered
username LT
565 Posts
I think time remains to be seen with latter 2019 and newer Bolts with the updated pack. Heck...for all EV's. But I would switch up in a heart beat too.
What's the ignition : cars on the road ratio for all the older EV's? Leaf, Tesla etc. Not interested in hybrids.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Interesting that the Volt has not had any of these issues... IIRC the Volt battery pack had a huge reserve so even a 100% charge was nowhere near cell damaging territory. Maybe LG/GM tried to squeeze too much juice out of the lemon this time and we are now seeing the consequences.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Without any details, who knows?
Was the Bolt even the cause of the fire?
Being the rear hatch has been completely melted off the car it seems likely the fire started inside the Bolt.
At the beginning of the video the fire seems concentrated on the left side of the garage where the Bolt is parked, then it progresses to the right side of the garage several seconds later.

Reactions: MDBolt
121 - 130 of 130 Posts