Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Potentially looking at a new house in which to garage the Bolt, and for years planning to generate electricity for whatever EV I chose, this is exciting: http://tcrn.ch/2fp4Rek
There's also been new tech tossed around for graphene coatings on windows, etc. that could generate electricity. Haven't looked enough into Tesla's powerwalls, but wondering if anyone smarter than me has installed a powerwall home battery and charged with a company such as solar city. Seems like a nice solution to charge up the house battery all day and then pull in after work and charge up the car overnight from the stored energy. The future, I hope.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Tesla’s roof cost less than the full cost of a roof and electricity will be competitive or better than the cost of a traditional roof combined with the cost of electricity from the grid, Musk said.
So the solar roof is going to give potential buyers ticker shock if they decide to look into it. Also seems like an expensive hassle to replace any one tile if needed. Great concept, but tesla will need to refine the idea and decrease the loss on efficiency.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
With a 2% loss on efficiency that they say they'll be working towards fixing. They've already identified the issue at hand so I'm sure it won't be that much longer. My main thing that I'm looking at whilst reading this is that for one, they look like ordinary tiles which is great, and two, the statement that they should last longer than the house. Other than increasing house value due to the solar panels, it's a double whammy because you have a new roof generally that will last a ridiculously long time. Seems like a win-win.

·
Registered
862 Posts
These look great and will go a long way towards increasing the appeal of solar!

But, I can see a couple of regulatory issues that will need to be addressed. Most (all?) building/electrical codes regulate the roof areas that can be utilzed for solar. One of the primary reasons is for Fire Department access - they want clear pathways if there is ever a structure fire. In addition, outside access to a clearly labeled method to "shut down" the solar is required. When they need to use axes and saws to chop a hole for ventilation, hitting live power is undesirable. With current solar panels, it is very obvious that they exist when they arrive on scene. With these new products, not so much (the fact that they don't stand out is actually a big selling point for them).

Fire Fighter Safety and Emergency Response for Solar Power Systems
http://www.nfpa.org/~/media/files/news-and-research/resources/research-foundation/research-foundation-reports/for-emergency-responders/rffirefightertacticssolarpowerrevised.pdf?la=en

These will definitely be much more expensive per kW than traditional solar panels, but since you don't need to pay for roofing under the panels, that cost will be partially offset. This makes them impractical for retrofit situations (unless you are replacing the roof at the same time).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts