Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
There were definitely some tall claims made (10000 Nm???), but it is oh so pretty! If I were in the market for a hyper car, this would have piqued my interest. Not that I’ll ever have an extra $200k laying around, but a boy can dream can’t he? It will be interesting to see if they can meet those numbers, in a few years.

P.S. - The best part is, that it will apparently have “Plaid Mode”. Because the only thing faster than ludicrous, is plaid. ?

·
Registered
771 Posts
Tesla in a nutshell:

> Tesla stock down 20% in the past 60 days
> Tesla corporate bonds (B2 rated junk) issued 3 Months ago already trading at almost 10% below face value
> Tesla had $3 Billion in cash on hand as of August 2017 - burns $1 Billion per Quarter
> Tesla model S & X sales well below normal (with buyers now opting for lower margin 75Kw models)
> Tesla Model 3 delays -
> Potential tax reform eliminating existing $7500 tax credit (which may be moot when Tesla hits 200,000 registrations in Q2/18)
> Tesla increasing managerial churn
> At least 7 new EV competitors entering the market over next 2 years
> Tesla promises of Level 5 autonomy Autopilot fiasco
> Tesla's Gigafactory production issues and expansion
> Tesla SolarCity installs have plummeted from 187MW in Q3/16 to 109MW in Q3/17
> Tesla Powerwall batteries are also delayed
> Tesla Solar roof Shingles/tiles delayed
> Tesla Hyperloop
> Tesla Tunneling
> Tesla music-streaming service
and now
> Tesla BigRig
> Tesla Roadster 2.0
> Tesla Salad shooter (could be?)

As much as I need Tesla to survive and prosper, today's "look over there! ...shiny new objects"
misdirection parade makes me think Musk is becoming a Bernie Madoff. In that he just can't
bring himself to say; "We are suspending all operations of everything that isn't a battery or a Model S/X/3,
until we get it right"...while he still has the chance.

·
Registered
36 Posts
no posts on the new tesla roadster yet?

https://techcrunch.com/2017/11/16/tesla-unveils-the-new-roadster/

New model was announced for 2020 and is expected to have 0 to 60 mph (0 to 97 km/h) acceleration of 1.9 seconds, 200kWh battery pack that should enable 630 miles(1013km) of highway range.

i'll believe it when i see it. they can't even get the 3 out the door reliably.
I think Musk is betting on the solid-state battery to be fully productional by 2020.
https://www.economist.com/blogs/economist-explains/2017/10/economist-explains-6 and https://sciencetrends.com/will-graphene-battery-power-tomorrows-tesla-car/

The solid-state battery is going to revolutionize the PV and EV Industry!

·
Registered
605 Posts
GM is a more reliable indicator of the future. From those slides shown here recently they're planning on 300 mi range by 2021 and a new modular battery architecture, presumably so you can swap out bad cells. But a 300 mi range means they're planning on a 75kWh battery which will be smaller/lighter/cheaper than the present Bolt battery.

The problem with Musk is that his model is to be a drug dealer. Every new announcement has to give people a bigger hit, and he doesn't know where to stop. 200kWh battery in a small roadster? Sure, it'll happen, somehow!

·
Registered
782 Posts
betting against what Elon says has rarely proven correct…betting against his proposed time frame is always correct…Tesla largely accomplishes what they set out to accomplish - SpaceX anyone? and I'm not aware of Tesla' being involved in a hyper loop - other than Elon was the source of the idea - but to date Tesla/Elon haven't been involved in any hyper loop efforts (beyond spiritual leader)…

and Shotel is clearly a frustrated Tesla Short - because so far investors are with Elon

Jan 1, 2017 - TSLA 229.01 - pre-market Nov. 17, 2017 326.60 (+14.10 4.51%) - +97.59 for the year - or +42%

> Tesla stock down 20% in the past 60 days

but up 42% on the year…

> Tesla corporate bonds (B2 rated junk) issued 3 Months ago already trading at almost 10% below face value

correct

> Tesla had $3 Billion in cash on hand as of August 2017 - burns $1 Billion per Quarter

correct

> Tesla model S & X sales well below normal (with buyers now opting for lower margin 75Kw models)

seasonal mix - but still growing year over year and still market leaders in their segments for sales

> Tesla Model 3 delays -

Standard operating procedure (SOP) - I won't be concerned until they miss significant delivery in March - I'll commiserate with you then…but for now Tesla still has 400,000+ orders and if they can work out production issues this delay will be soon forgotten

> Potential tax reform eliminating existing $7500 tax credit (which may be moot when Tesla hits 200,000 registrations in Q2/18)

affects all EV's

> Tesla increasing managerial churn

been this way for years in the valley @ Tesla (SOP) - they burn people out

> At least 7 new EV competitors entering the market over next 2 years

great!

> Tesla promises of Level 5 autonomy Autopilot fiasco

not yet a fiasco - and still has the best autopilot actually shipping in the industry

> Tesla's Gigafactory production issues and expansion

not clear this is yet a problem

> Tesla SolarCity installs have plummeted from 187MW in Q3/16 to 109MW in Q3/17

from my read follows a seasonal pattern - but you could be right

> Tesla Powerwall batteries are also delayed

residential - but commercial is growing

so what?

> Tesla Hyperloop

Tesla isn't involved in this…

> Tesla Tunneling

separate company - nothing to do with Tesla

> Tesla BigRig

big ambitions - I don't see what's wrong with this

> Tesla Roadster 2.0

again don't see what's wrong with this - if he achieves it are you saying it sucks?

> Tesla Salad shooter (could be?)

I'm beta testing this it's great - but doesn't work unless it's plugged in when the salad is cold.

·
Registered
782 Posts
https://www.tesla.com/roadster/

the spec's are awesome - but I'll be more interested as it if I can run a few laps @ thunderhill with it - and not suffer being thermally limited by the battery due to high loads…but my wife has already requested one as a replacement for her Boxster - but it's too pricy for me.

if history is any indication - don't put down a deposit - rather take the deposit money and buy TSLA stock - by the time Tesla ship these bad boys in 2022 the stock gain should more than pay for the car.

·
Registered
605 Posts
betting against what Elon says has rarely proven correct…betting against his proposed time frame is always correct…
True enough. I think Musk takes a page from Bezos, which is to drive growth like crazy and throw profitability out the window. Investors allowed Amazon to do that for years. Part of this is probably to become too big to fail.

Tesla largely accomplishes what they set out to accomplish - SpaceX anyone? .
Also very true.

Something I think that isn't recognized is that Tesla competitors usually beat them though. As far as I can see Blue Origin does rockets better than SpaceX. Depending on how they want to commercialize I would see them becoming the dominant vendor and Tesla as a niche. Bezos has a luxury of developing without having to meet external schedule which always results in better engineering. Sending meat to Mars is so breathtakingly difficult I have a hard time seeing any independent company accomplishing it.*

In cars GM, of all companies, beat Tesla to the affordable car, and with all the models coming out clearly will be the leader. So again Tesla will be a niche luxury brand.

Solar is a tough market with margins going to zero, I'm not sure how Solar City sits vis-a-vis with others, but it's hard to distinguish yourself in that market.

Medium/long haul trucks - it's cool they have one but that market will continue to be dominated by Peterbilt/etc who are also coming out with BEV's. The trucking industry is very conservative, I doubt drivers will bet their job on Tesla in any great numbers.

Not knocking Tesla at all here, Musk has done us all a great service.

* Edit, something I meant to add which is Musk's job is much harder than Amazon's ever was because they're making stuff. Amazon could follow exponential growth because it's mostly IT (and warehouse), which is an exponential technology sector. Cars, solar, trucks and rockets are all physics based technologies, which means they're hard. My day job is like this, we make difficult to engineer things, and it's slow and tough. So credit to Musk to take on these challenges, I sure wouldn't do it.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I “like” Tesla, and I wish the company well. It’s just that, based on what they are, and the vehicles they intend on producing, the company has little relevancy to my life. As another poster mentioned, it would be nice if the company could actually produce, in quantity, their newest model 3. Especially if the price truly remained around the $40,000 dollar mark (in the real world).

Whatever vehicle is produced, and I’m speaking of personal transportation autos, must meet two criteria in order for that vehicle to be successful; it must be practical (including reasonable cost to own and operate), and it must be task related (relevant to users’ needs).

At the moment, the Bolt is one of the few truly practical and task related EVs out there. I would argue that the Leaf will soon be coming in as a close second (needs a 200-mile range first).

Both of those vehicles are here, now, and available for purchase at a reasonable price.

Again, I hope Tesla succeeds. Musk’s company is acting like a dog nipping at the heels of larger, somewhat stodgy older companies. But he’d better produce something in quantity, and pretty quickly, or it’ll all turn to dust.

Rich

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
so what?
It could have provided a sizable cash infusion to Tesla at $45-$65K per average roof.
Tesla was not interested in financing their Tesla Solar Roofs, so they would have gotten the full $$$ up front.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Again, I hope Tesla succeeds. Musk’s company is acting like a dog nipping at the heels of larger, somewhat stodgy older companies. But he’d better produce something in quantity, and pretty quickly, or it’ll all turn to dust.
this I agree with 100% - a fact I often bring up on the Tesla forums - and the Tesla fan boys hate me raining on their parade - Elon's great, but he plays fast/loose with the facts, and Tesla is in real danger of going out of business - he's got to make the 3 happen or this will all be for not…

·
Registered
929 Posts
Things may not look good, but the supercar market is a perfect fit for Tesla.. all the driveline tech is super easy to scale. Basically zero R&D required on driveline. They should have done this before the X or 3, its a no brainer for them. The 3 is the exact wrong end of the market for them..

·
Registered
121 Posts
Musk consistently lands spent rocket boosters on barges in the middle of the ocean. Building another Roadster is not rocket science! The Ford family has been mass producing autos for over a century. Musk loves to set impossible timelines. It's who he is.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Stack two 100kWh packs, double up on motors. The more kWh you have to divide the load into, the less an issue heat and current become.

Throw on some tires so sticky that they only last a week. In that market the customers won't mind. I don't know about hitting all the numbers he threw out, but it'd be crazy fast either way.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts