Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

If all goes well, I should take possession of a 2019 LT or Premier (I haven't decided if the PR is worth it). I live in Montreal, where it can get crazy humid in the summer (humidex of 40c + is common) and winters can be harsh (-25c is common).

The car will be parked indoors at home, plugged into 220v charger, work is 68-92km away, depending on route I take. Outdoor parking there, no charging available.

How bad will the winter affect my range.. ie: defrosters, lights and wipers on. I assume that I should be OK.

Also, is the Premier trim worth it for the upgraded sound system? I am coming from a '16 Focus ST, which had a decent Sony system.

I am doubtful that it would be easy to upgrade the LT system with a proper sub and speakers.. I don't think you'd be able to access line-outs to add an external amp.

FYI: I did test drive the Kona EV, Niro EV and the new 2020 Soul EV.. I loved the Soul (especially the vented seats and adaptive cruise), but there's a minimum 3-6 month wait to get one. The GM dealer I am dealing with has 40 Bolt's in stock, and they have a 2k rebate, on top of the 13k government rebates.. they are also putting my Focus on Leasebusters for free.

·
Registered
292 Posts
From my experience, Bolt's range may drop to around 250km in the winter, or maybe even a bit less in harsher conditions. But so long as the car doesn't get too cold while parked outside during the day, the battery conditioning won't kick in and it's likely that you'll be able to return home for charging so long as you've started out from your home fully charged. YMMV, of course.

Lights and wipers have negligible impact on range. It's the actual rain & snow that add resistance (~10% in my experience). Minimizing the use of heater will help with the range, so one way to go about it is to dress warmly and use the heated seat & steering wheel in place of the cabin heating. If the windshield fogs up, use the air conditioning as it will consume far less energy (~5% of range vs. ~30%).

·
Registered
494 Posts
Just wanted to comment on the question regarding the sound system upgrades. I just recently swapped out the factory speakers on my non-Bose Premier and it was fairly easy. Huge upgrade in sound quality. I intend to add a sub at some point in time, will need a whole weekend because I plan on making a custom sub enclosure. The line outs are accessible; the harness is located behind the glove compartment. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just wanted to comment on the question regarding the sound system upgrades. I just recently swapped out the factory speakers on my non-Bose Premier and it was fairly easy. Huge upgrade in sound quality. I intend to add a sub at some point in time, will need a whole weekend because I plan on making a custom sub enclosure. The line outs are accessible; the harness is located behind the glove compartment. Hope this helps.
Thanks, that's exactly the info I needed.. I will check with a stereo installer.. which size speakers are they?Which brand did you go with?

·
Registered
494 Posts
Thanks, that's exactly the info I needed.. I will check with a stereo installer.. which size speakers are they?Which brand did you go with?
I got a set of Infinity Reference speakers. The speaker enclosures can accommodate 6.5 - 6.75 in speakers. I haven’t messed around with the dash tweeters yet, but for now it doesn’t seem to be necessary. May get a DSP at some point as well when I do the sub upgrade.

Will post a formal write up of the process later today.

Edit: Write up done: https://www.chevybolt.org/threads/speaker-upgrades-non-bose-2017-premier.33695/

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi, I can't comment on the winter range issue as I got my 2019 Premier in July. The sound system IMHO is great and I believe there is a different amp than the LT. The leather seats are a great upgrade as well as the surround vision cameras. Confidence 1 & 2 are nice to have. The lighter interior has a glare problem off the dash because of the angle of the windscreen. Either way I think you will love the bolt.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I know I keep parroting this, but MAKE SURE the nearly perfectly clear (when new) Brake fluid is at the right level when you pick up the car.

I don't blame my dealer for this, as the liquid is pretty darn clear, but they let me drive 40 miles back to my home with an empty brake fluid reserve tank.

Otherwise I think it is best to just drive the car for a week or a month and let ideas for things you 'need' or want to come to you over time.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Upgrade to Nokian WG3's which are low rolling resistance and highly rated for power and snow ice. You're car will feel like a corvette if you do.
Also ...putting a little more air in your tires can get you this in nice weather.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The only features the Premier has over the LT that I was interested in was the extra shelf in the cargo area and the roof rails. I was able to get the extra shelf as an accessory item, but not the roof rails. The roof panels are built a bit differently on the Premier which means you can't just buy some roof rails and put them on … probably extra reinforcing. My LT has all the extra packages, so maybe that included enhanced audio, not sure. But it does sound a bit basey. I'm not big on music in the car anyway, so improved audio is not an issue. Other extra features on the Premier just weren't worth it to me for the extra cost. But, I do miss the roof rails. They could be quite handy for using a cargo carrier on trips or to transport a kayak. So for that reason alone, I sometimes have a bit of regret in getting the LT instead of the Premier. But if you wouldn't be using the rails, then you'll have to think carefully about the other Premier features as to whether those have enough value for you compared with the cost. They didn't for me.

·
Registered
68 Posts
If all goes well, I should take possession of a 2019 LT or Premier (I haven't decided if the PR is worth it). I live in Montreal, where it can get crazy humid in the summer (humidex of 40c + is common) and winters can be harsh (-25c is common).
How bad will the winter affect my range.. ie: defrosters, lights and wipers on. I assume that I should be OK.
I have driven our 2017 Bolt in -27C in the Brockville-Kingston area so I have some similar winter experience. At those temperatures, your usable range will be down to 200 km, give or take. Mostly that's because the heater will be using a near constant 7.5kW but it will keep you plenty warm. Even down to -13C you'll do a lot better. If you cold soak the car, it may complain and show a message about reduced propulsion power but that goes away pretty quickly when the battery heater comes on. Keeping the car plugged-in and AC charging overnight keeps the battery warm enough that you won't see this in the morning. Also know that the car will take frequent sips of power from the charger to keep the battery above freezing even when the battery is fully charged. Beware that the DC fast charging rates will start out really slow when the battery is very cold. Like AC charging slow. As it heats up the rates go up, but that might add a half hour to your charging stop.

In the summer the AC doesn't use nearly as much power and the range hit is small. It's pretty easy to get over 400 km at 100km/h even with the AC on.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I forgot a feature I have only found on the Bolt Premier - the "TV" rear view mirror. The wide angle rear view camera eliminates a lot of the blind spot. Another reason to buy the Premier vs LT. But whichever you get, you will find the Bolt a great car.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Here's a tip: Turn auto defog off. The slide switch is buried in the climate settings. Auto defog will make your A/C or heat come on at odd times and you'll wonder why your GOM drops so much for "no reason".
Another tip: To reset the computer screen, press home and fast forward at the same time. Kinda like CTL-ALT-DEL on a computer. When all else fails, disconnect the negative terminal of the 12 V battery for about 30 seconds, then reconnect. Viola, reset done.

·
Registered
68 Posts
One thing I forgot to mention: There is no warning for low windshield washer fluid. In the winter you'll need to check and top up frequently.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Operated within the designed performance envelope, the Bolt requires the least maintenance, the fewest work-arounds of any vehicle we've owned in sixty years.

Those who fret because all current BEVs have cold weather range and road trip limitations are making their own problems. We all knew this when we chose to buy a BEV, so live peacefully with it and see what the future brings.

jack vines

·
Registered
452 Posts
The one winter tip that will help you is to pre-heat the car for 20 minutes or more before morning departure. This will get the cabin up to temp while using wall power, instead of draining battery range.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The one winter tip that will help you is to pre-heat the car for 20 minutes or more before morning departure. This will get the cabin up to temp while using wall power, instead of draining battery range.
I plan on doing exactly that.. but only in the AM, there's mp charging at the office unfortunately

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
15 Participants
Fluxcap19
Chevy Bolt EV Forum
We’re the Largest Chevy Bolt EV Online Community and Owner's Club. Join to discuss sport mode, reviews, battery range and charging!
Full Forum Listing