Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I have only used the equipment that came with the car. No problem and pretty easy to use. However, in searching for other ways to "fillup" so to speak, I came across a Charge Point site quite close to my home and surprise, surprise, it's free to anyone. So, do I just pull up, hook up and charge, or do I have to be signed on to Charge Point to use it even if it's free? It is not a DC type system but it is a level 2 charger and on the system signage it states 8.8kw I believe. The only restriction I saw was a request to limit your charge to 4 hours. Help! :unsure:

Scott

·
Registered
2020 Bolt EV LT
118 Posts
OK, so I have only used the equipment that came with the car. No problem and pretty easy to use. However, in searching for other ways to "fillup" so to speak, I came across a Charge Point site quite close to my home and surprise, surprise, it's free to anyone. So, do I just pull up, hook up and charge, or do I have to be signed on to Charge Point to use it even if it's free? It is not a DC type system but it is a level 2 charger and on the system signage it states 8.8kw I believe. The only restriction I saw was a request to limit your charge to 4 hours. Help! :unsure:

Scott
Pretty sure you need to set up an account, which is free, and use the app on your phone to start the charge. Just go to chargepoint FAQ's and read about it.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
My car came with a plastic ChargePoint card. I think it was with the manual and other documents. I set up an account and never added money to it. I've used a free ChargePoint a few times and all I ever did was use the card to start it.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Yes, if it is a branded charger like CharePoint you will need a ChargePoint account (free) to use the charger. Be aware that there are many ChargePoint chargers that are not overly clear on if there is a fee to charge. I thought the one at the Harley Davidson dealer was free (it was not) and did not know until a $$ sign showed up about 5 minutes into the charge.

You may also find chargers at stores or parks that require no accounts. Pull up and plug. Our main City Park and Zoo both have free L2 public chargers as well as our Library Downtown. These are great of you are going to stay at the location for a while but don't plan on using it as the main source of charge as you will be sitting a long time.

I also invested in a Tesla Tap. An adapter that allows me to use a Tesla Destination Charger (NOT Supercharger). I keep it in the car for emergencies or if I happen along one.

·
1,863 Posts
I also invested in a Tesla Tap. An adapter that allows me to use a Tesla Destination Charger (NOT Supercharger). I keep it in the car for emergencies or if I happen along one.
But, for newbies - be aware that Tesla Destination (L2) chargers are often found with J1772 at the same site, or close by. The number L2 sites according to afdc.energy.gov:

J1772: 36,509 sites with 73,625 plugs (what Bolt uses)
Tesla Destination: 4,577 sites with 11,571 plugs (what Bolt + Adapter can use)

Unless you regularly go to places with only Tesla Destination chargers, the Tesla Tap and similar are a costly option that may get used rarely. Nice to have, sure. But generally not essential. Make sure you use Plugshare to see what is available at places you will regularly go and will need a charge.

Also, these J1772 L2 chargers are being added at a pretty fast pace, so the gap will no doubt widen.

Tesla offers free Destination chargers to businesses, and will also install J1772 at no cost to the business if the business buys to J1772 unit(s). Given the rapid increase in J1772 compatible EVs, many businesses are choosing to install both types of units to appeal to a wider audience.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
When I bought my Bolt in 2017, it came with a Chevy-branded ChargePoint RFID card. The salesman helped me set it up. In my case, I was trading in a Leaf so I already had an account and we just linked the new card to the account. I take it Chevy doesn't provide these any more?

·
Registered
305 Posts
It might be interesting to start a thread of photos showing what charging equipment different people are carrying with them in their car...

·
Registered
8,681 Posts
Tesla offers free Destination chargers to businesses, and will also install J1772 at no cost to the business if the business buys to J1772 unit(s). Given the rapid increase in J1772 compatible EVs, many businesses are choosing to install both types of units to appeal to a wider audience.
Here in central Virginia, small businesses that offer Tesla Destination, and J1772, for free, are feeling burned by folks coming and sitting at their shops, and catching up on email, etc...getting free electricity without spending money at their shops. This has lead some to shutting them down. Please realize this is a real expense for these businesses. Go in, spend real money, and let them know how much you appreciate their generosity.

·
1,863 Posts
Here in central Virginia, small businesses that offer Tesla Destination, and J1772, for free, are feeling burned by folks coming and sitting at their shops, and catching up on email, etc...getting free electricity without spending money at their shops. This has lead some to shutting them down. Please realize this is a real expense for these businesses. Go in, spend real money, and let them know how much you appreciate their generosity.
Totally agree with this, when the business is obvious. In my area, a lot of municipalities and state government agencies get 80% grants to put these in, and they rarely charge for use. Good luck finding bureaucrats at these locations who even know they offer charging on site.

Many businesses are staffed by employees who know little to nothing about the chargers on site. So, simply acknowledging your appreciation for the free charging is enough, it will eventually get communicated to the owners. If you are so inclined, do Yelp or other reviews of these businesses and show appreciation for their generous chargers.

Finally, don't abuse the generosity. I recently used a Chargepoint free charger at an office building near a hotel I stayed at. The reviews on Plugshare had several pictures taken over the course of several years, and the same two Leafs were in every picture, and plugged in all weekend at this site. They were either nearby freeloaders, or owned by the business. If the former, as the owner of these chargers, I would quickly add a cost to the chargers.

·
Registered
722 Posts
But, for newbies - be aware that Tesla Destination (L2) chargers are often found with J1772 at the same site, or close by
Yes, but the Tesla chargers charge at 11.5kw and most other L2 chargers that are free are 6.5kw. If I have my choice and the spot is open, I will use the Tesla. Also, think of it like carrying a spare gas can in the car. You never know if you will need it but will be very glad it is there if you do.

·
1,863 Posts
Yes, but the Tesla chargers charge at 11.5kw and most other L2 chargers that are free are 6.5kw. If I have my choice and the spot is open, I will use the Tesla. Also, think of it like carrying a spare gas can in the car. You never know if you will need it but will be very glad it is there if you do.
My point is simply do some research. If you pay $150-300 for something you use once, that free charging session just cost you $150-300 and there may have been an alternative nearby. If your work location, or a hotel you visit regularly only has Tesla chargers, sure it might payoff. Or if your other car is a Tesla and you want to share the EVSE, sure.

Generally, when using L2 vs L3, time is not critical. If a hotel had both J1772 at 6kW, and Tesla at 11kW, I would tend to use J1772 even if I had an adapter. Why? Because it is the courteous thing to do to leave plugs available for Tesla owners, and because 6kW is probably going to be sufficient to charge my car to 100% overnight. Prior to 2022 models, the 7.8kW limit of the Bolt reduces the 11.5 vs 6.5kW advantage to a negligible difference for overnight charging.

New owners who blindly follow advice to buy an expensive adapter may regret it. So, I don't like to leave the idea that it is essential gear to invest in. In 3+ years, I have had one occasion when it might have been useful to have an adapter, not necessary but nice to have. For others, maybe it makes sense. But do your research before spending that kind of money.

·
Registered
username LT
686 Posts
Yes I have come across a nice Tesla brushed nickel Ironman-esque destination charger with a J connector. So don't just drive away if you only see a Tesla charger. Get out have a look.

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
30A on Chargepoint vs 32A on Tesla. The voltage of both would be the same.

·
Registered
722 Posts
New owners who blindly follow advice to buy an expensive adapter may regret it
Not exactly sure where I recommend him to buy anything. I informed him of what options are available. Sheesh.

Why? Because it is the courteous thing to do to leave plugs available for Tesla owners, and because 6kW is probably going to be sufficient to charge my car to 100% overnight.
Slow Clap.
Not once did I say anything about charging overnight. We were discussing free chargers where someone may park for 20 or 30 minutes while in a business. Again Sheesh. Do you need help off your high horse?

·
1,863 Posts
Not exactly sure where I recommend him to buy anything. I informed him of what options are available. Sheesh.

Slow Clap.
Not once did I say anything about charging overnight. We were discussing free chargers where someone may park for 20 or 30 minutes while in a business. Again Sheesh. Do you need help off your high horse?
Don't get defensive. I am just suggesting the Tesla adapters are not a wise choice for everyone. A new owner might easily be misled into spending money on something they rarely use without looking at the whole picture.

Sorry you feel I am being critical, if it is useful to you, bravo. It just isn't necessary for most Bolt owners.

In a 20-30 minute session, the difference between a 6.5kW and 7.8 kW charging session will amount to what, a mile or two? Is that worth the $150-300 investment?

·
Registered
722 Posts
In a 20-30 minute session, the difference between a 6.5kW and 7.8 kW charging session will amount to what, a mile or two? Is that worth the $150-300 investment?
The difference is 6.5kW vs 11kW. The point is not always about getting the faster charge. The point is we are dealing with a new technology that does not have a common standard. You may be at a low state of charge and the only option is a Tesla Destination charger. Or the the J1772 stations are broken or are full or are ICE'd in. There are any number of reasons to have one and not just because of faster charging. My brother has 2 Tesla's and only has destination chargers at his house. If I visit that is my only charge option. The entire goal of an EV is not always to save money. You have to factor in other life issues as well that don't really account with a cost/benefit justification. A new to EV user asking about charging really should know all of the available options and what they mean. It is up to them to decide if it is useful. I did not even provide a link to buy one.

Also note I was not defensive until you made false derogatory statements about something I wrote.
New owners who blindly follow advice to buy an expensive adapter may regret it
Btw, I also fully agree with what you said. It is not a necessary investment and if you buy one you may never use it. Some people buy a spare tire to put in the car since it did not come with one. A TeslaTap is on a similar line as that. My entire point is that he is probably unaware they exist and is beneficial to know 1. that he can't charge at a destination charger without an adapter 2. that an adapter does exist for that very purpose. At no time did I say buy this or else you will be stranded at the coffee shop stranded by self fart sniffers.

·
1,863 Posts
The difference is 6.5kW vs 11kW.
Not really, Bolts prior to 2022 model only accept 32A (7.8kW). So, really the difference is minor.

Sorry, didn't intend that statement to be derogatory, I was only trying to say a new owner who thinks this is essential might quickly regret spending the money if there are few occasions to use it. In your case, it absolutely makes sense if you use your brother's Tesla chargers regularly.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts