Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Yes, but the Tesla chargers charge at 11.5kw and most other L2 chargers that are free are 6.5kw. If I have my choice and the spot is open, I will use the Tesla. Also, think of it like carrying a spare gas can in the car. You never know if you will need it but will be very glad it is there if you do.
The Bolt (pre 2022) maxes out at 32 amps, so when using the Tesla destination charger you are getting 6.7 KW (208V x 32 amps) so you are not really getting any advantage unless the L2 is a "pay to charge" station.

Keith

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Well, I never wanted to be the cause of bad feelings or start a posting war. However, many good recommendations have been thrown out and I have already signed up at Charge Point. Thank you very much. The charging station I mentioned seems to never be busy and it is really close by so I will keep it in mind when I need to top off for a longer than usual trip. I bought the Bolt (2022 EV 2LT) for around town use to avoid the daily trips with our HEMI Jeep Grand Cherokee. Mileage with that sucks big time in town. On the highway it's acceptable in the 24-29 mpg range if you keep a soft touch on the throttle. Again my thanks for all the great information.

Scott
P.S. Big time fan of South Park, "you must respect my au-thor-a-tay" Eric Cartman.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I bought my tesla adapter back in 2018 shortly after I got my Bolt and I've used it exactly once. I didn't even need to use it, I just had it for over a year at that point and wanted to make sure it worked.

I've got a pack of every adapter under the sun for plugs I could encounter and don't even carry them with me anymore. I used to be cautious about not running the battery down but after having gotten into the low single digits a couple of times, I know the range estimation is extremely reliable for my driving. If I have 50 miles to drive and it says I have 55 left, I know I won't need to bother finding a charger.

·
Registered
888 Posts
The Bolt (pre 2022) maxes out at 32 amps, so when using the Tesla destination charger you are getting 6.7 KW (208V x 32 amps) so you are not really getting any advantage unless the L2 is a "pay to charge" station.
I'd agree on the 'no advantage' point, but I'll note that a good proportion of these are operating on single-phase 240V, not three-phase 208V, so you often do somewhat better.

I think knowing what I know now, I probably wouldn't have bothered with the Tesla adapter. I've used it a few times and it's nice insurance, but it's hardly a travel essential. Main reason I got it was to use the Tesla mobile charger which I got for home L2 charging.

·
Premium Member
2021 chevy bolt premier ev
95 Posts
OK, so I have only used the equipment that came with the car. No problem and pretty easy to use. However, in searching for other ways to "fillup" so to speak, I came across a Charge Point site quite close to my home and surprise, surprise, it's free to anyone. So, do I just pull up, hook up and charge, or do I have to be signed on to Charge Point to use it even if it's free? It is not a DC type system but it is a level 2 charger and on the system signage it states 8.8kw I believe. The only restriction I saw was a request to limit your charge to 4 hours. Help! :unsure:

Scott
OK, so I have only used the equipment that came with the car. No problem and pretty easy to use. However, in searching for other ways to "fillup" so to speak, I came across a Charge Point site quite close to my home and surprise, surprise, it's free to anyone. So, do I just pull up, hook up and charge, or do I have to be signed on to Charge Point to use it even if it's free? It is not a DC type system but it is a level 2 charger and on the system signage it states 8.8kw I believe. The only restriction I saw was a request to limit your charge to 4 hours. Help! :unsure:

Scott
o

This is what I did
I hooked up to my dryer outlet, so I plug my car in and leave it plugged in all night

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
If a hotel had both J1772 at 6kW, and Tesla at 11kW, I would tend to use J1772 even if I had an adapter. Why? Because it is the courteous thing to do to leave plugs available for Tesla owners, and because 6kW is probably going to be sufficient to charge my car to 100% overnight
I will offer a counterpoint for you to consider, first Bolt in June of 2017, I never bought a Tesla adapter until recently, I had a good friend & fellow EV owner that I borrowed it from when traveling as a contingency. I never used the adapter I borrowed in all of my travels over nearly four years.

This year I recently decided with the price way down to, $160, I wanted to have one of my own. The first trip I took after purchasing it I needed it. The hotel we stay at has a single J1772 and two Tesla destination chargers. The J1772 was occupied when I arrived so I plugged into one of the two Tesla spots using my new adapter. The next morning I discovered another Bolt that had arrived later that night with transporter plates, obviously hoping to charge overnight, parked near the chargers not charging.

Sooo... as EV adoption grows and many destinations have a single J1772 you may decide that it is a worthwhile investment to get a Tesla adapter...

·
1,864 Posts
I will offer a counterpoint for you to consider, first Bolt in June of 2017, I never bought a Tesla adapter until recently, I had a good friend & fellow EV owner that I borrowed it from when traveling as a contingency. I never used the adapter I borrowed in all of my travels over nearly four years.

This year I recently decided with the price way down to, $160, I wanted to have one of my own. The first trip I took after purchasing it I needed it. The hotel we stay at has a single J1772 and two Tesla destination chargers. The J1772 was occupied when I arrived so I plugged into one of the two Tesla spots using my new adapter. The next morning I discovered another Bolt that had arrived later that night with transporter plates, obviously hoping to charge overnight, parked near the chargers not charging.

Sooo... as EV adoption grows and many destinations have a single J1772 you may decide that it is a worthwhile investment to get a Tesla adapter...
I don't doubt it has been useful to some folks. But to most of us, it is far from essential. That is all I am suggesting.

In your case, you effectively paid $160 for a single free charge. You probably could have done a DCFC instead and come out better financially. BTW, Tesla Tap is now listed at $139.

In my 3+ years, there has been one time it would have been nice to have one, but I really didn't need a charge, just would have given my wife one less thing to worry about.

As EV adoption grows, destinations will likely install more J1772 plugs. Despite the free enticement of Tesla Destination chargers to business owners, most hotels and businesses will soon realize they are creating a gap by not installing the only true universal L2 chargers, J1772. No doubt some will feel they have it covered with Destination +1 J1772, and competition for plugs will happen, but I don't think it will be long term.

With prices now almost half of what they were a few months ago, it is enticing to consider one of these.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I don't doubt it has been useful to some folks. But to most of us, it is far from essential. That is all I am suggesting.

In your case, you effectively paid $160 for a single free charge. You probably could have done a DCFC instead and come out better financially. BTW, Tesla Tap is now listed at $139.

In my 3+ years, there has been one time it would have been nice to have one, but I really didn't need a charge, just would have given my wife one less thing to worry about.

As EV adoption grows, destinations will likely install more J1772 plugs. Despite the free enticement of Tesla Destination chargers to business owners, most hotels and businesses will soon realize they are creating a gap by not installing the only true universal L2 chargers, J1772. No doubt some will feel they have it covered with Destination +1 J1772, and competition for plugs will happen, but I don't think it will be long term.

With prices now almost half of what they were a few months ago, it is enticing to consider one of these.

·
Registered
2020 Bolt
118 Posts
Back to the OP's questions about ChargePoint and having an account. You generally need an account, get the card (mine came with the car) but also have the phone app. Just last week I was visiting friends in the proverbial middle of nowhere. A town of 372 people and one ChargePoint level 2. The card reader doesn't work but activating with the app was simple. Just part of always trying to have a Plan B.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Oh, OP was scared off long ago, sold his Bolt and has now moved the Tesla forum where they are far more mature. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Oh, not so. Worried about violence but not scared off. OK maybe a little scared but you all seem like a nice bunch of Bolters underneath that rough outer layer. Thanks for all the usable charging information. :eek::oops::):)

Scott

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
When I bought my Bolt in 2017, it came with a Chevy-branded ChargePoint RFID card. The salesman helped me set it up. In my case, I was trading in a Leaf so I already had an account and we just linked the new card to the account. I take it Chevy doesn't provide these any more?
We got one with our 2020.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
I got one with the car but I requested a free RFID card from Chargepoint on sign up.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts