Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
21 - 40 of 202 Posts

·
Administrator
2,949 Posts
In the letter to customers who are eligible for repairs, it lists an estimated repair time of 3.5 hours. This STRONGLY suggests an entire battery being replaced.
Sounds like we can stop speculating in about 2 weeks. Yippee! 🤪

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have been attempting repurchase of my 2018 bolt. They keep stringing out the process and changing my concierge. The last one told me that since I did not bring my car in lat November (I just put the car in hilltop reserve as directed), they will use my more recent recall miles. She gave me an equation for the price which is (purchase price)x miles/12000. This makes no sense as the repurchase/trade amount would go up along with miles. I e-mailed and called back, but of course it’s radio silence. Does anyone know what the actual equation is??

·
Administrator
2,949 Posts
I notice the recall # on myChevrolet for my 2018 is the ...880 notice, which corresponds to the lower priority draft notice. So, like with the last round, apparently the 2019 models are the most critical, and records should show the ...881 recall for these.

Until we see the remedy, it is all speculation. But maybe they swap out packs on the 19s, repack those with the newer MI made cells, then swap those into the 17-18s.

As I said before, we should know more by the end of the month.

BTW, I just got off the phone with my dealer, inquiring why the last recall isn't showing completed. The guy knew very little, but did acknowledge seeing the bulletin today, so he knows it is coming soon.

·
Registered
7,545 Posts
I want to make a special request for the first people on this forum who take their Bolts in to have the module replacement done. Before you take the car in, put some sort of special identifying mark on the battery case, maybe a little nick or (less good) a piece of tape somewhere. Or maybe even just clean some part of it. Enough so that when you get the car back you can tell if it's the same battery case or not. And then let us know what you found, that'll tell us something...

·
Registered
266 Posts
Probably a two person job so second tech will be recruited from the floor. How good will the supervision be?
You probably do not want to be their first victim.
In my not typical case GM is insisting that only 100% qualified techs touch the car. My smaller local dealer only has one 100% qualified tech but that is good enough for GM, implying that a single tech can perform the service, though perhaps taking more clock time than two techs working together.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I notice the recall # on myChevrolet for my 2018 is the ...880 notice, which corresponds to the lower priority draft notice. So, like with the last round, apparently the 2019 models are the most critical, and records should show the ...881 recall for these.

Until we see the remedy, it is all speculation. But maybe they swap out packs on the 19s, repack those with the newer MI made cells, then swap those into the 17-18s.

As I said before, we should know more by the end of the month.

BTW, I just got off the phone with my dealer, inquiring why the last recall isn't showing completed. The guy knew very little, but did acknowledge seeing the bulletin today, so he knows it is coming soon.
"But maybe they swap out packs on the 19s, repack those with the newer MI made cells"
That's what I've been told to expect when I bring the car in next week

·
Administrator
2,949 Posts
"But maybe they swap out packs on the 19s, repack those with the newer MI made cells"
That's what I've been told to expect when I bring the car in next week
But, aren't you in the controlled pilot study group? Not sure if that has been communicated in any other info we have seen.

The sound of the 881 notice suggests they will have parts available around the end of the month. The 880 notice says parts are not yet available and further communications will come notifying when to make appointments.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have been attempting repurchase of my 2018 bolt. They keep stringing out the process and changing my concierge. The last one told me that since I did not bring my car in lat November (I just put the car in hilltop reserve as directed), they will use my more recent recall miles. She gave me an equation for the price which is (purchase price)x miles/12000. This makes no sense as the repurchase/trade amount would go up along with miles. I e-mailed and called back, but of course it’s radio silence. Does anyone know what the actual equation is??
I was told the usage fee is $0.21/mile.

·
Registered
204 Posts
But, aren't you in the controlled pilot study group? Not sure if that has been communicated in any other info we have seen.

The sound of the 881 notice suggests they will have parts available around the end of the month. The 880 notice says parts are not yet available and further communications will come notifying when to make appointments.
If the tech notes for the replacement are posted that might give some insight on what the actual parts they are using are.

·
Registered
266 Posts

I think I misread your post. (I'm not quite at the level that some of you are, so the lingo sometimes confuses me.) Yes, I'm definitely in the controlled pilot group. That said, there's a decent chance that there was some confusion in the communication when GM reached out to me yesterday. Their focus was on getting me on board ASAP. My focus was on getting rid of 100% of the bad/possibly bad cells in my 2019. GM didn't want me to communicate directly with the dealer but I did anyway today, since I have a good relationship with the service manager and wanted to make sure that he's comfortable with the plan. After the service is finished Tuesday afternoon and the GM spies have left the building I'm planning to reconnect with him and find out what, exactly, they did.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I want to make a special request for the first people on this forum who take their Bolts in to have the module replacement done. Before you take the car in, put some sort of special identifying mark on the battery case, maybe a little nick or (less good) a piece of tape somewhere. Or maybe even just clean some part of it. Enough so that when you get the car back you can tell if it's the same battery case or not. And then let us know what you found, that'll tell us something...
My good relationship with my local dealer got even better when I asked GM to arrange to have the service performed there. After it's done I'm going to ask the service manager what, exactly, they did.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I have an email from a district service manager saying the replacement "will extend your warranty another 8/100k." So that's also good news.
That's what I've been promised, along with increased range which would be consistent with replacing Korean cells with Michigan cells. It's increasingly sounding like GM's planning to offer all the recalled owners exactly the same deal that they offered me, just a few weeks or a few months later as parts become available.

21 - 40 of 202 Posts