Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
41 - 60 of 202 Posts

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I want to make a special request for the first people on this forum who take their Bolts in to have the module replacement done. Before you take the car in, put some sort of special identifying mark on the battery case, maybe a little nick or (less good) a piece of tape somewhere. Or maybe even just clean some part of it. Enough so that when you get the car back you can tell if it's the same battery case or not. And then let us know what you found, that'll tell us something...
Or take a photo of the battery label. If your car comes back with a different one, then at least the battery chassis (and likely everything in it) was changed.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
That makes more sense. Thanks! I’m thinking I want to get rid of this vs just swapping a battery. What are others doing?
I put in for a swap but now that there is a fix I probably will never hear back from them. I should have done it last May but I was heavily involved in moving my sweetie out of her house a state away. I have low miles and a high MSRP, too bad.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I want to make a special request for the first people on this forum who take their Bolts in to have the module replacement done. Before you take the car in, put some sort of special identifying mark on the battery case, maybe a little nick or (less good) a piece of tape somewhere. Or maybe even just clean some part of it. Enough so that when you get the car back you can tell if it's the same battery case or not. And then let us know what you found, that'll tell us something...
and I thought I was the only one who ever did that (with dealer repairs) :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
I talked to my concierge today. I submitted 3 emails with the repurchase/swap data they wanted within hours of the ask, then followed up with a 'What is the timeline on hearing back?', she said: due to technical difficulties, we cannot provide a resolution timeline'

hmmm....

my dealer is so incompetent ( the valet Brought my car to me with the tire FLAT, and in one rotation service they forgot to change the tire location... I have more stories) that I will not bring it to them... if they cannot rotate tires correctly...

I'm feeling not complete transparency by chevy... at my age I was planning this to be my last car... maybe not...

·
Registered
7,098 Posts
My good relationship with my local dealer got even better when I asked GM to arrange to have the service performed there. After it's done I'm going to ask the service manager what, exactly, they did.
If you're in the pilot group then there's probably no guarantee that the service done to your vehicle will match what's done to the larger population of vehicles. As a result of learning how it goes with your vehicle they may well decide on a different course for everyone else, and that could be part of the reason why GM has been so vague on exactly what work will be done for the general recall.

Edit: I think it's likely that they'll do basically the same procedure for everyone else as they do for you and that they're just using you as a way to refine the instructions and fine-tune their time estimates - but I just wanted to point out that one shouldn't take things for granted.

·
Registered
266 Posts
If you're in the pilot group then there's probably no guarantee that the service done to your vehicle will match what's done to the larger population of vehicles. As a result of learning how it goes with your vehicle they may well decide on a different course for everyone else, and that could be part of the reason why GM has been so vague on exactly what work will be done for the general recall.

Edit: I think it's likely that they'll do basically the same procedure for everyone else as they do for you and that they're just using you as a way to refine the instructions and fine-tune their time estimates - but I just wanted to point out that one shouldn't take things for granted.
In light of the "880" and "881" letters that we've just learned about, which are poised to start inviting owners to schedule the service, I'd describe the pilot program as a dress rehearsal. I'm expecting those letters to go out as soon as GM receives "mission accomplished" feedback on my car and the other 5 guinea pigs. The speed with which GM has gotten this thing to the launch pad suggests to me that the plan and a good portion of the groundwork were in place by the time that those post-"final remedy" cars in Vermont and New Jersey caught fire last month. I wouldn't be surprised if the pilot program was a last-minute "just in case" add-on. The fact that there will have been less than a week between their outreach call to me and the service appointment suggests some serious improvising, expecially since the "please call to schedule your service anytime after" date on one of those letters is less than 2 weeks away.

·
Registered
10,195 Posts
Two forum members, @knoepler and @ModelRocket, have 2019s, and are already part of the pilot program. At least one 2017 owner @Drixanator, whose battery failed, has been told they will receive all new battery/modules and a new warranty now, instead of the older replace the bad section fix.

This suggests the priority cars will be 2019, followed by 2018, followed by 2017...just as was speculated as the order of concern by @Telek months ago.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Two forum members, @knoepler and @ModelRocket, have 2019s, and are already part of the pilot program. At least one 2017 owner, whose battery failed, has been told they will receive all new battery/modules and a new warranty now, instead of the older replace the bad section fix.

This suggests the priority cars will be 2019, followed by 2018, followed by 2017...just as was speculated as the order of concern by @Telek months ago.
It wasn't clear to me from @ModelRocket's post that he's in the pilot program, but if he is he'll know it. If so it might be helpful if we both report back about our experiences. When I bring my car in for the cell replacement surgery on Tuesday I may ask if they know when my car's battery was manufactured - I've heard that a disproportionate number of the fires have been in batteries that came off the line in October 2018. The speed with which GM has rolled this thing out - the first fire in a post-final remedy car was barely 6 weeks ago - suggests that GM was actively making contingency plans even as they were building and installing the "final remedy" software.

·
Registered
2017 Chevrolt Bolt EV
1,112 Posts
Yep 3 1/2 hours, Have watched multiple videos on Bolt battery removal..it really isn't that big of a deal to pull and replace.. The IMPORTANT stuff is teaching the TECHS about all the High Voltage stuff, to many old and Young know it alls...pretty easy for one of them to get the zap of their life... their one Life.

·
Registered
2017 Chevrolt Bolt EV
1,112 Posts
Congratulations Chevrolet.. New Battery and I will cancel my Ioniq 5 reservation , well at least until next year.;)

·
Registered
286 Posts
If they can replace my battery in the next 3 months I will cancel my buyback. Car is almost paid off and I would prefer to keep it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Thanks for the update and the letter! GM still hasn't even notified me that there's a problem :rolleyes:

·
Administrator
2,837 Posts
Spent some time at my Chevy dealer, checked out the 2022 Bolt LT2, nice job on the interior.

The sales guy I spoke with owns a 2019 Bolt LT. So very knowledgeable. He said they are starting to hear what the final remedy will be, certainly for the 2019s, he is convinced it will be a full pack swap. He wasn't sure about the 17 & 18 models, but seemed to think we may also be getting new packs, just after the 19s are cared for. He said they will know more in a week.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Yep 3 1/2 hours, Have watched multiple videos on Bolt battery removal..it really isn't that big of a deal to pull and replace.. The IMPORTANT stuff is teaching the TECHS about all the High Voltage stuff, to many old and Young know it alls...pretty easy for one of them to get the zap of their life... their one Life.
Not just battery removal, they have to open the case, replace all the cells, hook up sensors and wires to the BMS,
test all the voltages at the BMS (hopefully that is just one plug in), reseal, smoke test put back in car, refill coolant,
mess around with the computer, test drive and document all work done. Then they have to box up all the old cells and prep them for shipment back to the mother ship. I honestly do not believe that can be done in
3.5 hours. Maybe 2 techs at 7 hours. I suppose we will see.
A straight pack swap might take 3.5 hours.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Spent some time at my Chevy dealer, checked out the 2022 Bolt LT2, nice job on the interior.

The sales guy I spoke with owns a 2019 Bolt LT. So very knowledgeable. He said they are starting to hear what the final remedy will be, certainly for the 2019s, he is convinced it will be a full pack swap. He wasn't sure about the 17 & 18 models, but seemed to think we may also be getting new packs, just after the 19s are cared for. He said they will know more in a week.
I can’t imagine that applying a different remedy for 17 and 18 models versus 19 models would pass GM’s legal department’s muster. This is because all three model years have been impacted by fires.

I am increasingly optimistic and happy to wait it out for a few months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2017 Chevrolt Bolt EV
1,112 Posts
Not just battery removal, they have to open the case, replace all the cells, hook up sensors and wires to the BMS,
test all the voltages at the BMS (hopefully that is just one plug in), reseal, smoke test put back in car, refill coolant,
mess around with the computer, test drive and document all work done. Then they have to box up all the old cells and prep them for shipment back to the mother ship. I honestly do not believe that can be done in
Agree more to than just dropping the battery pack...but still it just isint going to be that big of deal f0r properly trained techs(as I have posted before this Bolt issue has some silver linings for gm as well..getting their techs well trained for EV repairs)

maybe this is a good time for those that havent seen Pof Kellys dropping battery and disassembling videos

Also a video of a Guy taking his battery out disabling(with just an old jack) and moving everything to inside his house in under 4 hours.. I'll have to look

I would think a a GM Shop with 2 techs should be able to do 2 of these a day.

Straight swap , yes even much faster

·
Registered
204 Posts
I saw @Telek post on Reddit and he seems to think it's not full packs but still modules.

But the service time of 3.5 hours is nowhere close to what even a single module replacement will take (minimum was 5 hours for a single module).

I guess we'll find out on Tuesday.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I saw @Telek post on Reddit and he seems to think it's not full packs but still modules.

But the service time of 3.5 hours is nowhere close to what even a single module replacement will take (minimum was 5 hours for a single module).

I guess we'll find out on Tuesday.
Maybe GM is saying 3.5 hours so it doesn't have to pay the techs as much? Wouldn't be the first time.

41 - 60 of 202 Posts