Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I just picked up my Bolt Premier (Nightfall Gray) on Saturday. I hadn't really been in the market for an EV in the past. I live in Montpelier, Vermont, drive a little more than 20,000 miles per year and regularly commute 80 - 120 miles in a day (I don't go to the same location every day and sometimes work from home). The Bolt's range, as well as the hatchback form factor got me interested as the potential replacement for my 2010 VW Golf TDI. I like cars that combine fuel efficiency, practicality and fun, and I first considered a GTI or a Mazda 3 (I owned three Mazda hatchbacks before the VW), but I'd gotten used to the 40+ MPG and 500+ miles per tank. The Bolt's torque more than matches what my TDI had to offer, and my situation is almost ideal for a 200+ mile EV. It meets 95% or more of my driving needs, and we can take my wife's car for longer trips (she also likes zippy cars, so she'll be happy to drive the Bolt if I need to head off on a road trip).

I do have some concern about winter range in Vermont, but there should be enough buffer for my needs in all but the most extreme conditions. I also have some reservations about the lack of a spare tire (we have some monster potholes due to the harsh winters), but at least chances are fairly slim that I'd get stranded far from home. I'm enjoying the Bolt a lot so far. The seats actually fit me fine, but I wish Chevy had provided an adjustable lumbar support (I had ordered the Bolt in March, but I still hesitated after it arrived because I'm used to the really supportive seats in my VW).

It will take a couple of weeks before an electrician can come by to install an EVSE in our garage (pretty sure I'm going to get a Clipper Creek), but Vermont actually has a pretty good charging infrastructure (2 DCFC within 5 min. of our house and a couple of free 240V spots in town) for the extra juice I may need to get by until then (of course, I do have the luxury of using my diesel if I need to!).

Cheers,

Todd

·
Registered
151 Posts
My second home are in Colebrook, NH not so far from Island Pond, VT. In very worst condition, depend of your driving style, I'm sure will be able to drive 120 miles on one charge. So with my experience, that will be your worst range.
If you come in NH some times (not just Walmart in Littleton) stop by say hello and ask your questions and take a good beer!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hi VTWombat,

Have relatives in Montpelier area - if it's ok, may pick your brain on where to plug in. Live in metro Boston so Montpelier should be within range! Best wishes, Thor'sBolt

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Happy to point you in the right direction. There's a DCFC (and a couple of 240V chargers, as well as a bank of Tesla Superchargers) in front of the Comfort Inn just off exit 7 on I-89. From exit 8 on your way to downtown Montpelier, there's another DCFC (and 2x240V) at the Vermont State Employees Credit Union. Quite a few others right in town or nearby if you have time to let it charge at 240V.

fire_qc - when I get adventurous, I'll take my Bolt north of the border. I haven't scoped out the charging options up there, though we're close enough to do a short loop through southern Quebec without needing to charge

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
I also have some reservations about the lack of a spare tire (we have some monster potholes due to the harsh winters), but at least chances are fairly slim that I'd get stranded far from home.
The hidden underfloor storage compartment in the back is, I understand, large enough to hold a spare if you don't mind not being able to use that space for other purposes.

·
Registered
151 Posts
fire_qc - when I get adventurous, I'll take my Bolt north of the border. I haven't scoped out the charging options up there, though we're close enough to do a short loop through southern Quebec without needing to charge
You don't have to bo so brave, I do Quebec city and Colebrook NH on one charge in this time. Spend almost half on my week-end in US NH. For charging option, you need to register on our two major charging network that's all. But, in Colebrook, stop by take a beer while using my EVDuty!!! >:)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just about 300 miles so far and initial consumption is 3.9 mi/kWh. It was cool and rainy on my Monday morning 40 mile commute, and I did resort to using the heat for part of the trip, so I'm pleased thus far.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Can't go wrong with that. Once you can have a nice comfortable ride and not have to worry about range anxiety, you're good to go :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts