Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
  • Hey Guest, welcome to ChevyBolt.org. We encourage you to register to engage in conversations about your Bolt.

New Warning Message?

17K views 41 replies 27 participants last post by  XJ12 
#1 ·
Okay, today I got a warning message I had not seen before. Is it new or is the car monitoring my behavior?

Warning

Taking your eyes off of the road too long or too often while
using this system could cause a crash, resulting in injury
or death to you or others. Focus your attention on driving.​

#2 ·
Wouldn't you need to have some sort of an auto-pilot system installed? The only time I had seen this was on a tesla Model S rental while using the auto-pilot feature...

#10 ·
Warning

I get this regularly. It comes on at power up for two consecutive power up cycles, then does not appear for a while. I suspect there is a cycle count before it appears again, but I haven?t counted.

If I don?t clear it, it will appear at power on until I do. Then it will appear again on the next power up, if it was the first occurrence that I left on for multiple power cycles.

#12 ·
This, for me, is the only really annoying thing about my Bolt EV. This "Taking your eyes off the road..." message comes up randomly while I am driving. It is really stupid–of course I have to momentarily take my eyes off the road to turn off the message. Whoever decided to include this message clearly didn't think things through. I wish that there were a way to turn it off permanently.

#13 ·
I get it too, seemingly randomly, but when it does appear, android auto kind of fails to show, I have to long-press the home button. Cause or effect, who knows.
My Caddy had an annoying disclaimer to accept every single time you started it so "once in awhile" is an improvement from that.

#14 ·
This message popped-up while I was driving. I looked to my right and down to read it, lost control, went over a cliff, crashed and died in a giant lithium-fueled explosion at the bottom.

Thanks a lot, GM.

Warning

Taking your eyes off of the road to read this stupid message
could cause a crash, resulting in injury
or death to you or others. Focus your attention on driving.

#15 ·
It's occasional and random for me, also. I keep thinking that perhaps the appearance is due to using the touch screen in some excessive manner while driving but that's never been the case when it appears. I'm thinking of the Chevrolet Smart Driver measures on the MyChevrolet app. It rates your driving based on what I assume are a set of algorithms. Is it possible there is some algorithm in the vehicle that measures a deviation in your driving behavior and triggers the screen warning?

#16 ·
Appears randomly on shutdown on my LT too. No, I don't have lane assist or any of that foofora. Another useless message that pops up when I top out on speed is 'Speed is limited to 92 mph'.

#17 ·
I was using Apple CarPlay yesterday, when a white banner popped up at the top of the screen. Looks like 3 blocks.

One has a picture of the battery ( I think ) with heat waves coming off it, straight up and an exclamation point in a yellow triangle. Another one has a green check mark and one has a red X. There are other pictures in those blocks as well, but the dang thing doesn't stay on long enough to figure out what it's trying to tell me.

Anyone seen this?

#24 ·
FYI, I know I get it when I have to reboot the system.
Occasionally I get it when starting the car.
Still no reason for the occasional time. Maybe 8 times a year on it's own?

I have full loaded Premier, but they all should have it. Doesn't have anything to do with any thing that is in the car. Just a warning message... like the ones on the sun-visor

#25 ·
Came here to ask about this stupid pop up. I have a newly purchased 2020 and it seems to pop up with this warning at random upon power on. Did it more when I first got the car it seems but this week it happened again.

It would be fine if it shows up for a few seconds then goes away on its own but It’s persistent until you dismiss it and covers other functions of the infotainment screen.

“Warning taking your eyes off the road to read this message may result in injury or death...”

any way to turn this off permanently?

#33 ·
Okay, today I got a warning message I had not seen before. Is it new or is the car monitoring my behavior?

Warning

I get this occasionally when starting in one of our two '19 Premiers. I always have LKA off because it only bounces the car from one side lane marker to another, unlike Lane Centering. If there was a driver awareness/awakeness camera such as in some Mazdas I'd understand.

#36 ·
I want to turn off the annoying message about keeping your eyes on the road. How do you turn that off? I'm sitting in my car in park and not moving. Stupid message to come up. Yeah, I leaned to keep my eyes on the road when I got a driver's license. Can someone else answer that who is more knowledgeable? Or do I just live w it? I can't keep my eyes on the road if I have all these messages popping up now can i?

#39 ·
I'm reviving this old thread because this pop-up message is so incredibly dumb. I've had my Bolt for about 4 months now, and this message appears every 3-4 days. It's utterly pointless at best and distracting at worst.

I see the comments about CYA, but how is GM C'ing its A by requiring me to spend more time looking at the screen so that I can see where to tap "OK"? When I start the car, I release the parking brake, and when I see the parking brake light clear, I start driving. I don't think about looking at the infotainment screen because I don't need to look at it to pull out of my driveway.

GM, this incessant nag screen is one of those small things that can become big. It may not drive consumers away on its own, but it can certainly be the last straw.

You are increasing the likelihood of causing the problem you claim to want to prevent. I seriously doubt there's any data that proves such a message actually changes anyone's driving behavior, but even if it does, there are much better ways to present that message that won't require me to take my eyes off the road.

P.S. I always use the steering wheel buttons to cycle through my favorites. Maybe have your software track that so that you know I'm not looking at your **** screen.

#40 ·
I think this is Apple/Google doing this when projecting your phone, but ya, it is pretty dang annoying.