Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a set of wheels from a 2012 Chevy Cruze. 17x7 105mm 42 offset. Should fit perfectly and be able to run a 225/45/17. I may wait a little before buying new tires as summer is over and I may need to mount my Snow tires on these. The wheels are much lighter than I expected.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Those are the Cruze eco wheels, which were made to be light and reduce unsprung weight. The other stock Cruze or Sonic wheels won't be as lightweight as those.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just curious where you bought them and what they cost? I see them available "reconditioned" online...but they are a little pricey. I'm hoping I can find a seller who just thinks they are typical Cruze wheels and just wants to unload them.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Found them locally on FB market for $350. Negotiated down to $300. Was a local used tire shop. They had tires that were 225/55/17 and i did not need them so I asked for a price without tires. Paid $200 for the set and tipped him $20 for dismounting the tires.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
Just curious where you bought them and what they cost? I see them available "reconditioned" online...but they are a little pricey. I'm hoping I can find a seller who just thinks they are typical Cruze wheels and just wants to unload them.
You're pretty much only going to get these used. The best prices for them will be if you can find a private seller (I picked mine up for about $350 as well on craigslist).

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Found them locally on FB market for $350. Negotiated down to $300. Was a local used tire shop. They had tires that were 225/55/17 and i did not need them so I asked for a price without tires. Paid $200 for the set and tipped him $20 for dismounting the tires.
You got an awesome deal! Most you see on line are in the $400 range for bare wheels. You need to use those with your LRR summer tires and put the snow tires on your stock rims... then you will be in the NewsCoulomb zone of efficiency :D

Keith

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am thinking about High Performance summer tires for these wheels. Something that I could actually AutoX in. A tire that could also put the power down rather than constantly spinning the front wheels through 50mph. Something that allow me to give a little throttle when turning onto the street. The torque of the motor + factory tires is a killer. I also really wish that had made the gear ratio a little lower so this car could safely go 100-110. On some of our Turnpikes going 93 will get you run over.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have these with 225/50r17 Pilot Sport 4S tires and wouldn't go wider than 225 with this setup. For whatever reason, Chevy didn't engineer a lot of space in these wheel wells.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Has anyone used 235/45/17's.
I'm running 235/45r17 General G-Max RS tires. This is on a 17x8 et45 with 2mm spacer (so effectively et43) and it is the absolute limit for strut clearance. Without the spacer the tire just touches the strut, but with the 2mm spacer there is 2mm clearance, and shows no sign of rubbing even after several autocrosses and 10,000km's. With the et42 Cruze Eco wheels you should be good to use a 235/45 as long as the section width for that specific tire is the same or narrower than the General. That being said, I wouldn't bother going for a 235 if you only have a 7" wide wheel. When I replace these tires I'll probably drop back down to a 215 for a more stable, responsive footprint.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I'm running 235/45r17 General G-Max RS tires. This is on a 17x8 et45 with 2mm spacer (so effectively et43) and it is the absolute limit for strut clearance. Without the spacer the tire just touches the strut, but with the 2mm spacer there is 2mm clearance, and shows no sign of rubbing even after several autocrosses and 10,000km's. With the et42 Cruze Eco wheels you should be good to use a 235/45 as long as the section width for that specific tire is the same or narrower than the General. That being said, I wouldn't bother going for a 235 if you only have a 7" wide wheel. When I replace these tires I'll probably drop back down to a 215 for a more stable, responsive footprint.
Dang it.
Those wheels really change the car!
While I am rather OEM style wheel guy, those I must say are very nice to look at.

Tell me one thing, though.
You have Generals. I believe that will be my next tire after OEM is out, which may happen in next say 5-7k miles (I did not even cross 10k mark!).
How did they change the ride?
Grip dry/wet, noise, handling, and most importantly - the range.
You can PM me to not side track here too much.
Thanks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts