Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello ladies and gentlemen

I own a jetboating company and I want to convert my tour boat to be electric. I currently run chevy 350 V8. I hear the bolt motor is 200hp which I think is enough to power my boat but perhaps I'm wrong.

I want to be the first commercial Jet boat business to run full electric boats. My boat is light weight maybe 1000kgs empty and then another 600kgs to 800kgs with 9 people on board.

What are my chances of using the components of the bolt to electrify my Jet boat.
Water Boat Watercraft Water resources Nature

Also we are in Vanuatu 🇻🇺 tropical island in the middle of the pacific. Our power grid is 220 to 240 volt ⚡ for charging.

Love to hear all feedback.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Good thoughts for living in a tropical wonderland.

BTW--it sounds like a great idea. Having an 80 kpH jet boat that makes no sound will be like driving a UFO.

I would think about RPM and horsepower requirements of your jet impeller before trying to electrify the boat. The Chevrolet 350 will reach about 300hP (225kW) at 4800 RPM. The Chevrolet Bolt powerplant reaches 200 hP (150kW) well over 5000 RPM.

The horsepower-RPM mismatch may cause impeller cavitation well before you reach the amount of horsepower needed to really have fun with the boat. The worst case would be the impeller would blow up from centrifugal force. Maybe a 2:1 gearing between the electric motor and the jet would be a design consideration.

2021 Bolt HP-Torque

Chevrolet Corvette V8 350 HP-Torque

Fortunately or unfortunately, electric motors develop huge amounts of torque at zero RPM, but little horsepower. Nevertheless, having no reciprocating parts, the motors spin happily at 9000+ RPM (Tesla goes to 18000).

Something to be discussed after unwrapping a lap lap with a cold beer.

Good Luck!

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
4,499 Posts
You'll also need to think about the weight of the battery pack. The Bolt's battery pack weighs almost 1000 pounds and provides about 64 kWh of energy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great stuff. Thanks for the thoughts.
I need the low end torque to get the boat up on to the plane so that's where I need the grunt, then after that once planing less torque and more speed. I think the Hamilton 212 jet unit which is pushing the boat is good for 5000rpm. However there are lots of different pitch options. 1000lbs for battery back is ok. Because that is about the weight of the v8 engine and 100 litres of fuel. It burns through 1 liter a min and it coust about 2.40 USD a liter here. So keen on an alternative. I'm from New Zealand and that's the home of jet boating. Shotover Jet which is world famous are currently trying to electrify a boat. They are making great progress. But it's all secret squirrel stuff.

This is a topic on high revving engines with the Hamilton 212 water jet. The HJ212 and High Revving Engines

Perhaps I would need to remove the big heavy 212 jet unit and place two jetski units with a coupling gear between the two. Cope with the higher rpm.

·
Registered
138 Posts
A boat engine spends much of its run-time at much higher horsepower output than a car does. The auto needs significant power to get up to speed, then needs relatively little power. The boat needs a lot of power even at "cruising" speeds. You said you use one liter/minute of fuel, that's about 15 gallons/hour. The Bolt would use about 2 gallons/hour at cruise if it was an ICE vehicle.

I think you'd be very disappointed in the overall performance. Range would be very short, cooling could be an issue, and charging would be very slow. If you do a search for "electric boats", you'll find lots of hits, but they're slow-speed cruisers, not hot rods like yours.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Great stuff. Thanks for the thoughts.
I need the low end torque to get the boat up on to the plane so that's where I need the grunt, then after that once planing less torque and more speed. I think the Hamilton 212 jet unit which is pushing the boat is good for 5000rpm. However there are lots of different pitch options. 1000lbs for battery back is ok. Because that is about the weight of the v8 engine and 100 litres of fuel. It burns through 1 liter a min and it coust about 2.40 USD a liter here. So keen on an alternative. I'm from New Zealand and that's the home of jet boating. Shotover Jet which is world famous are currently trying to electrify a boat. They are making great progress. But it's all secret squirrel stuff.

This is a topic on high revving engines with the Hamilton 212 water jet. The HJ212 and High Revving Engines

Perhaps I would need to remove the big heavy 212 jet unit and place two jetski units with a coupling gear between the two. Cope with the higher rpm.
@Ttjet Your project has some interesting possibilities that are not just related to spinning a Hamilton Jet with a different power source. I am working on electric ducted fan designs for RC aircraft and I have not put any information into a 3D flow model for a planing hull. However, here are some observations.

The Shotover project looks very much to be a DIY. At 0:13, I believe the inverter system appears over the gent's right shoulder. The 'engine' compartment is much smaller after removal of the petrol engine. It's not clear if Shotover is using a single HJ 212 or their standard dual HJ 212 set up. In any case, the HJ 212 only requires about 44 cm of in-hull clearance to the engine coupling flange. It's very possible to fit a 200-300kW PMDC motor into the small box shown in the video.

If Shotover is using a single HJ212 within the required horsepower envelope, they should be able to generate 6-8KN (1,300-1,700 lbf) of bollard pull force at 225 litres/min and 100 kpH jet velocity with only 200 kW of input. The BOLT motor would be a feasible option with similar jet velocities but lower bollard force.

The battery system at 0:42 is very much DIY. You can even see the BMS (Battery Management System) discreet control boards as the compartment is closed. It's not clear where these are stowed other than they appear to be against the gunwales above the deadrise.

The ability to remove a 391 kg 350 Mercruiser V8 with a 90 kg electric will change the center of gravity and planing dynamics. I'll wager that you can be creative with battery placement to get the boat up on the step much faster with less power. It's worth ringing up Hamilton for ideas.

Although scrapyard BOLT motors are available, I would be looking at the general EV conversion world. Many members on this forum can point you towards these resources. Ford as a mainstream manufacturer, has released the 280HP motor from the MACH-E as a crate kit, the ELUMINATOR. There are a lot of options.

Up in our area of northern Maine (our water is solid and white), Taiga has been testing electric snowmobiles as well as personal watercraft. Their snowmobile is a hot rod and amazes me with its ability to perform in freezing temperatures in a very light package (<300kg). Their ORCA watercraft promises the same performance. Taiga Motors

Wishing you an interesting project!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@Ttjet Your project has some interesting possibilities that are not just related to spinning a Hamilton Jet with a different power source. I am working on electric ducted fan designs for RC aircraft and I have not put any information into a 3D flow model for a planing hull. However, here are some observations.

The Shotover project looks very much to be a DIY. At 0:13, I believe the inverter system appears over the gent's right shoulder. The 'engine' compartment is much smaller after removal of the petrol engine. It's not clear if Shotover is using a single HJ 212 or their standard dual HJ 212 set up. In any case, the HJ 212 only requires about 44 cm of in-hull clearance to the engine coupling flange. It's very possible to fit a 200-300kW PMDC motor into the small box shown in the video.

If Shotover is using a single HJ212 within the required horsepower envelope, they should be able to generate 6-8KN (1,300-1,700 lbf) of bollard pull force at 225 litres/min and 100 kpH jet velocity with only 200 kW of input. The BOLT motor would be a feasible option with similar jet velocities but lower bollard force.

The battery system at 0:42 is very much DIY. You can even see the BMS (Battery Management System) discreet control boards as the compartment is closed. It's not clear where these are stowed other than they appear to be against the gunwales above the deadrise.

The ability to remove a 391 kg 350 Mercruiser V8 with a 90 kg electric will change the center of gravity and planing dynamics. I'll wager that you can be creative with battery placement to get the boat up on the step much faster with less power. It's worth ringing up Hamilton for ideas.

Although scrapyard BOLT motors are available, I would be looking at the general EV conversion world. Many members on this forum can point you towards these resources. Ford as a mainstream manufacturer, has released the 280HP motor from the MACH-E as a crate kit, the ELUMINATOR. There are a lot of options.

Up in our area of northern Maine (our water is solid and white), Taiga has been testing electric snowmobiles as well as personal watercraft. Their snowmobile is a hot rod and amazes me with its ability to perform in freezing temperatures in a very light package (<300kg). Their ORCA watercraft promises the same performance. Taiga Motors

Wishing you an interesting project!
Thank you so much for the interest in my project. It sounds like you have a wealth of knowledge. I'm pretty sure shotover Jet are still running the twin jet set up. I saw in a video somewhere the outflow from the jet units and there is definitely two.

The Ford motor gets me very excited and I will do some study on this. But I am a Chevy guy so it may be a hard swap that one. Lol.

I'm away for the next week competing in the first ever Rally on an Active Volcano, Mt Yasur. So I will not be on here for a while. Who’s ready for Rally Tanna! - Vanuatu RALLY Championship | By Vanuatu RALLY Championship | Who’s ready for Rally Tanna! here is the promo video. We hope to get this race added to the WRC stages. Always looking for ways to boast tourism in Vanuatu.

Appreciate your feedback and detailed replies.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts