Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,275 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Also the first I heard about DCFC ability being nerfed after the "final fix" (charge sessions interrupted multiple times).
Yeah, a lot of the comments were people saying they weren't having that issue...
So I wonder if it is a global problem with the fix, or if something is just up with Eric's car after the fix... ???
I almost never QC, so not anecdotal evidence from me either way. ;-)

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've charged DCFC half a dozen times since the fix and it has worked flawlessly with my Bolt.

·
Registered
4,951 Posts
do you leave the Bolt ‘On’ when you charge?
I've done both DCFC with the Bolt on and sleeping in the car and also DCFC with the Bolt off. Worked fine. I have the US pack, if that made any difference.

·
Premium Member
2,275 Posts
Yeah, a lot of the comments were people saying they weren't having that issue...
So I wonder if it is a global problem with the fix, or if something is just up with Eric's car after the fix... ???
He also said his Bolt no longer draws "excess" power from the DCFC station. Like previously, if you were fast charging and then you turned on the AC or heater, assuming the station wasn't being maxed out, the Bolt could draw additional power to meet the demand for heat/AC. In the video, he says his Bolt now draws the same amount of power regardless of whether he turns on the HVAC or not.

·
Registered
Bolt EV, 2019, Premier
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess it could be Eric's car but maybe not. I thought the overall content was great. I'm also learning that what GM is doing seems to be in line with some things I have recently read that were published by NFPA.

My bottom line still is I would rather have a solid fix than a shotgun fix. I think we need a bit more time to see how this evolves. For me it's still GM or back to an ICE vehicle.

·
Registered
Bolt EV, 2019, Premier
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
He also said his Bolt no longer draws "excess" power from the DCFC station. Like previously, if you were fast charging and then you turned on the AC or heater, assuming the station wasn't being maxed out, the Bolt could draw additional power to meet the demand for heat/AC. In the video, he says his Bolt now draws the same amount of power regardless of whether he turns on the HVAC or not.
on my 2019, I was never able to actually see the excess power that Eric has discussed. I may have been doing something wrong. It may also have something to do with the charger.

The DCFC is controlling the delivery rate as commanded by the vehicle. Maybe there is some issue on some chargers. It's never been super easy to separate one from the other. It might also have something to do with the disconnect issue he was seeing.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I didn't watch the video, so I don't know what he considers "nerfed". What I know is that since the update, 1) my max charge rate has not gone above 52kW (it used to hit 56kW) into the battery and 2) the taper point is now around 48% (it used to be 55%). The two are related, though, as the charge rate would gradually climb up to 56kW at 55%, and it was always around 52kW at 48%. So bottom line, the only change I've noticed is that the first taper occurs at 48% rather than 55%. For hardcore road-trippers like Eric, that's a notable difference. For me, it's something I noticed, but just accept.

on my 2019, I was never able to actually see the excess power that Eric has discussed. I may have been doing something wrong. It may also have something to do with the charger.

The DCFC is controlling the delivery rate as commanded by the vehicle. Maybe there is some issue on some chargers. It's never been super easy to separate one from the other. It might also have something to do with the disconnect issue he was seeing.
Interesting. On my 2017, I definitely see several kW of "excess" once the car is past the first taper. Or I used to, I haven't tried since the update.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts