1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
Glad the Bolt EV bumpers seem durable and stays in place...
The Bolt doesn't have an aero cover over the rear suspension, like the Model 3. Some folks on here have actually made said cover to improve aerodynamics. I suspect that if GM had installed one, it would not fill with water and rip the plastic bumper cover off.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I may be wrong but it appears as if there is a provision for three bolts to hold the "L" shaped bracket on but instead some kind of construction adhesive is used. The bond flexes and weakens and the bumper can fall off if loaded with water and wind drag. If I was a Tesla 3 owner I would climb down there and drill the holes through and put in small bolts.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I may be wrong but it appears as if there is a provision for three bolts to hold the "L" shaped bracket on but instead some kind of construction adhesive is used. The bond flexes and weakens and the bumper can fall off if loaded with water and wind drag. If I was a Tesla 3 owner I would climb down there and drill the holes through and put in small bolts.
Perhaps drill some drain holes as well so the darn thing doesn't fill up with water in the first place.

Keith

·
Registered
407 Posts
It's been going on w/Model 3 for awhile. Tesla investigates why bumper broke off two Model 3 vehicles after 'heavy rain' - Electrek is from 2018. And yes, Electrek is a known Tesla-fanboy site.

People were also having problems w/undercarriage cover being torn when driven in rainy weather. I posted Ripped Undercarriage Composite from the rain? in 2018 but unfortunately one of the videos is dead now.

I later did get confirmation that the press conference at
(thanks to whoever posted this instead of having to use ustream) that they drove it through 700 mm (~27.5 inches) of water.

I've been on car forums for various cars I've owned/leased since late 2001, which were Japanese car forums until Bolt. I've never ever heard of anything like of rear bumper covers coming off or undercarriage being torn from rain on the models of cars I've had on those forums.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Any car can go through water slowly, with varying amounts of intrusion. Not impressed.

The Tesla problem is that they are inconsistent with their coverage of this as a defect under warranty or blaming the owner for “modifications” or other things. There have been reported quality issue with missing fasteners and most owners do not inspect the underbody because, well... they shouldn’t have to.

There’s no standard test for puddle depth vs. speed to evaluate vehicle performance / damage so owners beware.

The bumper facia has a large “under scoop“ (my term) so once those front fasteners let go, you have a huge plastic sail acting as a parachute. Add water and the result is what you see.

The brackets appear to be spot welded to the body and then sealed with body sealer to reduce water intrusion for corrosion reduction. The plastic is stronger than the welds, hence them ripping clean off.

·
Registered
471 Posts
The Bolt uses this exact same setup. However, the bumper is higher and not likely to become a parachute. I can post pics since I have to do some body sealing due to an accident and subsequent repair.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Any car can go through water slowly, with varying amounts of intrusion. Not impressed.

The Tesla problem is that they are inconsistent with their coverage of this as a defect under warranty or blaming the owner for “modifications” or other things. There have been reported quality issue with missing fasteners and most owners do not inspect the underbody because, well... they shouldn’t have to.

There’s no standard test for puddle depth vs. speed to evaluate vehicle performance / damage so owners beware.

The bumper facia has a large “under scoop“ (my term) so once those front fasteners let go, you have a huge plastic sail acting as a parachute. Add water and the result is what you see.
Most ICEVs will have trouble going thru water of beyond certain depths due to water ingestion thru intake(s) and thus hydrolock, destroying the engine.

There are numerous hypotheses as to why the bumper covers are coming off on some Model 3's. As for the ripped undercover, there are also numerous hypotheses for that and there ended up being a TSB (eventually) with revised parts.

As for not impressed w/the Leaf test... well, then the Teslas w/bumper covers coming off and covers underneath the car coming off are total fails.

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
We had quite the rain the other day where I had to drive slowly through some pretty deep water (10"?). But later up the hill I did not notice that the water was running across the road and I hit it doing around 35 mph. Water was flying higher than the car. My mind immediate was thinking about this thread and what parts were going to be coming off the car. Nothing happened. Later washing the car, I inspected the wheel wells to see if the coverings were undamaged. Everything looked fine. I was worried about those coverings because I damaged an edge driving through some deep mud a while back.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts