Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mother in law bought a 2020 Bolt EV before the recall. She frequently drives long distances (close to the Bolt’s max range) so the Bolt is not usable for her while the battery recall is limiting the car to ~80% capacity, so GM agreed to reimburse her for a rental car. Four months later, and after speaking with a whole parade of different customer service reps, she still hasn’t been reimbursed a single penny for her rental.

What’s worse, she recently tried to get the battery software update for her Bolt. She took her car to three different Chevy dealerships near her in southern Virginia. One wrongly claimed the software update wasn’t available for her car, the second claimed they weren’t trained to install the update, and — here’s the best one — the third claimed they couldn’t install the update unless her battery was drained to 40% or less and that the very act of installing the update could cause her battery to explode!

At this point, my mother in law is (quite understandably) regretting having bought the Bolt and never wants to own a GM vehicle again. Does anyone have advice on how she can navigate this customer service nightmare to get her rental reimbursed and her car fixed ASAP?

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Can't help w/the reimbursement nightmare but force the 1st dealer to look at https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2021/RCSB-21V650-1552.pdf? Maybe you can send them an email? They are thrown off by the stupid "The status of the VIN
will remain “Incomplete, Remedy Not Available” in the Investigate Vehicle History (IVH) in Global
Warranty Management even after the completion of the service procedure."

·
Registered
168 Posts
My mother in law bought a 2020 Bolt EV before the recall. She frequently drives long distances (close to the Bolt’s max range) so the Bolt is not usable for her while the battery recall is limiting the car to ~80% capacity, so GM agreed to reimburse her for a rental car. Four months later, and after speaking with a whole parade of different customer service reps, she still hasn’t been reimbursed a single penny for her rental.

What’s worse, she recently tried to get the battery software update for her Bolt. She took her car to three different Chevy dealerships near her in southern Virginia. One wrongly claimed the software update wasn’t available for her car, the second claimed they weren’t trained to install the update, and — here’s the best one — the third claimed they couldn’t install the update unless her battery was drained to 40% or less and that the very act of installing the update could cause her battery to explode!

At this point, my mother in law is (quite understandably) regretting having bought the Bolt and never wants to own a GM vehicle again. Does anyone have advice on how she can navigate this customer service nightmare to get her rental reimbursed and her car fixed ASAP?
I am sorry for your MIL's troubles. More selfishly, could you identify the three dealerships you mention, or if you would rather not do that, a more precise location than southern Virginia? I live on Eastern Shore of Virginia and my nearest dealerships are in Virginia Beach / Norfolk / Chesapeake and would like to avoid a similar nightmare. I have tried contacting the Service Managers in the area to identify a dealership to handle the battery replacement (when available) but none have returned my communications. I had purchased my Bolt near Richmond, but will not likely head there for a battery replacement when the time comes.

·
Registered
2020 Kinetic Blue Bolt Premier
59 Posts
I am in the same boat rental wise. GM promised in September 4 weeks for reimbursement, then it became 4-6 weeks. I talked to an "EV Adivisor" today, my 5th one, and she told me she saw no evidence any of my rental receipts were ever sent on. Mind you, every one of the other 4 had told me they were sent on to be reimbursed. No idea who to believe asked for a manager none avialable but supposedly will call me back. I'm up to $5,000 in debt over rentals, and no end in sight. I thought Gm was trying to do the right thing with the rental situation, but was sadly mistaken and should never have put my trust in them. I've reached out to my dealer for assistance in case there is something they can do. As I am on social security and rental is more than 50% of my monthly income, this is the last month I can rent, not sure where to go from here as I'll have no vehicle in 7 days. I am disgusted with GM.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am in the same boat rental wise. GM promised in September 4 weeks for reimbursement, then it became 4-6 weeks. I talked to an "EV Adivisor" today, my 5th one, and she told me she saw no evidence any of my rental receipts were ever sent on. Mind you, every one of the other 4 had told me they were sent on to be reimbursed. No idea who to believe asked for a manager none avialable but supposedly will call me back. I'm up to $5,000 in debt over rentals, and no end in sight. I thought Gm was trying to do the right thing with the rental situation, but was sadly mistaken and should never have put my trust in them. I've reached out to my dealer for assistance in case there is something they can do. As I am on social security and rental is more than 50% of my monthly income, this is the last month I can rent, not sure where to go from here as I'll have no vehicle in 7 days. I am disgusted with GM.
That is really disheartening! I’m sorry you’re dealing with that, especially given the income constraints you mentioned. I do have some positive news on my end — after months of going back and forth with various GM case agents, my mother in law finally received her first rental car reimbursement check in the mail yesterday. Seems like the lesson here is that the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Don’t give up, keep bugging GM for your money!

·
Registered
59 Posts
That is really disheartening! I’m sorry you’re dealing with that, especially given the income constraints you mentioned. I do have some positive news on my end — after months of going back and forth with various GM case agents, my mother in law finally received her first rental car reimbursement check in the mail yesterday. Seems like the lesson here is that the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Don’t give up, keep bugging GM for your money!
That is encouraging news. My dealer has escalated my case to some internal department who supposedly can help me. Forget the "advisors". Hopefully it will help. Thanks for letting me know! Even if I could get one check it would be a help.

·
Registered
59 Posts
So, I talked to a supervisor today. And, they basically said the department who was supposed to handle this sort of stuff of course was nowhere near staffed for 100,000+ Bolts customers, so, they had other departments helping out. Unfortunately, those other departments had a crash course and many of them didn't understand the system. So.... my receipts were never send on. The supervisor "promised me" that they were sent on today, and, of course, 6-8 weeks for payment. Gee, thanks. I guess.

Reactions: p7wang

·
Registered
32 Posts
Here is my "exceptional" customer service tale. My new battery was installed on Thursday and I was notified of the completion with under a half hour of their closing time. Since I couldn't get there I told them I'd pick it up the following day. On Friday morning (yesterday) I texted a request to be sure it could be charged to 100% (thru the text number the service manager had used to communicate with me). Upon my arrival that afternoon they brought the car around and then had me get in to complete my installation of my "bonus" one month's free Onstar. To my dismay the car was only charged to 25% with 73 miles on the GOM. I hung up on Onstar and went back in to see why they hadn't charged it and was told they only had low end chargers that really wouldn't have added much charge. Meanwhile my ride had left and now I had an almost 40 mile ride with snow and a temp of 20 degrees. I shut off the heat and hoped the GOM was somewhat accurate in spite of the data reset. Upon leaving the dealership lot I receive the Propulsion Power Reduced message, so I also kept my speed to 55 mph. Made it home, but then had a Service High Voltage Charging message after plugging in. Seems to be charging OK this morning, but the charging message is still there. I'm hoping it resets after reaching full charge.
Hope others getting replacements going forward will request the full charge up front.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
2,681 Posts
...Upon leaving the dealership lot I receive the Propulsion Power Reduced message, so I also kept my speed to 55 mph. Made it home, but then had a Service High Voltage Charging message after plugging in...
Check your coolant level. There have been other reports of the service tech not using the vacuum fill procedure when replacing the coolant, resulting in the error message.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks MichBolt! Just checked and found an empty coolant reservoir. Now the question is, was the reduced propulsion power due to the low coolant or low charge? Don't want to cause any damage to the new battery on a drive back to the dealership.

·
Registered
6,856 Posts
Thanks MichBolt! Just checked and found an empty coolant reservoir. Now the question is, was the reduced propulsion power due to the low coolant or low charge? Don't want to cause any damage to the new battery on a drive back to the dealership.
Read this...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts